Off Topic - light cat food

You can use this area for idle or not so idle chat that is not related to Labradoodles as long as you keep it free of flame wars and anything obscene.
jackieholmes19

Off Topic - light cat food

Post by jackieholmes19 » 02 Jul 2014, 14:34

Can anyone recommend a good light cat food that can be bought in bulk and isn't too excessively expensive please? I have 4 cats and 3 of them really need to lose some weight. I think the food I give them at the moment is high in calories, resulting in 3 very big cats!
Jackie & Bella
Xxx

suebedo

Re: Off Topic - light cat food

Post by suebedo » 02 Jul 2014, 19:11

Do you allow your cats to graze feed or is there food intake controlled? 4 of my 5 cats are all quite "sturdy" :oops: :oops: , like their mother!, and have been fed on a low calorie food all their adult lives. They all graze feed so regardless of the calorie content, they just eat more. In addition, at least 3 of my big cats visit at least one other house and probably more. I decided it was a battle I couldn't win, even though I realised it was in their best interests.

The cat food that mine are all on is hills, vet essential. I wouldn't do the same thing again, they would be on wet food with dinner times like the dogs but they are all getting to late middle age and set in their ways, like me!

Samdunn

Post by Samdunn » 02 Jul 2014, 19:25

Mmm, feed them less?.
I know that's easier said than done though so apologies if that's a pointless answer.

jackieholmes19

Post by jackieholmes19 » 02 Jul 2014, 19:26

The problem I have is that two of them will no longer come into the house when Bella is there - so I have to leave the food down for them to have when we're out. I think I've got the same problem, in that someone else is feeding them too :shock:
Jackie & Bella
Xxx

jackieholmes19

Post by jackieholmes19 » 02 Jul 2014, 19:27

I've cut their food in half since January, but they're still big. I've even put notes on them saying 'please don't feed', but it doesn't seem to make any difference
Jackie & Bella
Xxx

suebedo

Post by suebedo » 02 Jul 2014, 21:16

One of the problems with cat flaps unfortunately, ours just pop into neighbours houses and eat their own cat's food.