including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 19 Oct 2018, 04:07

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Le Tour de Yorkshire/France
PostPosted: 06 Jul 2014, 13:03 

Is anyone else enjoying this? I'm not a particular sport lover but have always enjoyed this. The scenery and information of places they go through is brilliant. Hope it helps the tourist industry because there are some beautiful areas to visit.
One year in France(Narbonne) we were among the crowds that cheered the riders through. It's exciting. The build up is great, loads of cars throw goodies into the crowds and the atmosphere is memorable.
Watching the crowds in Yorkshire has reminded me of that holiday, the men in Lycra also!!!

Post subject: Re: Le Tour de Yorkshire/France
PostPosted: 06 Jul 2014, 14:32 

Well it is going through more or less where I live (Essex) - so I can't get to work and have to change my days. Am thinking of whether to go and have a look - it is in walking distance from me. I will let you know

ImageImage

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2014, 14:49 

Go! Once in a life time opportunity. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. The crowds in Yorkshire are really into it!
We're overwhelmed with sport today, The Tour, Grand Prix, Tennis! So much to follow it's sent my husband to sleep!!!

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2014, 19:13 

I watch as much cycling as I can and have thoroughly enjoyed this years trip to Yorkshire etc. Over the last few years we have visited a lot of the areas they cycled through,especially the helicopter ride over Malham cove and the surrounding countryside. Thought about a trip up to London tomorrow when the Tour travels along the Embankment, but alas I have a last minute appointment I cant get out of. Roll on the next 19 stages! H and D

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2014, 13:49 

Would definitely recommend going to watch should you get the chance. There has been a bit more disruption over here with things like road closures compared to what you get in France but i think the crowds justified that decision. I've seen it in France the last couple of years in different places and this year we'll be in Nimes for the finish of stage 15.

Ironically despite living not far from Sheffield and not a million miles from where it dipped into Derbyshire i wasnt able to see it on my doorstep as i was in Fort William helping out some friends doing the 3 Peaks Challenge so had to settle for watching it on my iPad whilst they were up Ben Nevis!

Really pleased that folk got out to support it but to be honest i wasnt surprised at the level of support. Whilst this country has its faults we do have a love for sport and big sporting events. This and the Olympics showed that we know how to support them!!

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2014, 18:18 

I went and it was brilliant - tried to upload some video here but can't but hey TV coverage would have been better :lol: :lol:

ImageImage

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2014, 18:41 

Really pleased you went. My memories are still fresh and will stay with me. The support of the British is fantastic. We are planning a trip to France next year so will try to watch again.