including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 18 Aug 2018, 01:17

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Newbie to labradoodles
PostPosted: 12 Aug 2014, 22:08 

Never mind the ninja tendencies, Sandie, what about the Stone Angel poses? Two hour walks that should take 15 minutes. Sofa hogging.... Oh, and all those hours on the internet watching what my OH calls, 'Doodle P*rn'? :oops:
Anne & Ianto x :lol:

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2014, 06:59 

:lol: :D :lol: :lol: , Anne- love, love, love those Doods. X

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2014, 10:08 

Been away for a while so just catching up with posts.

For what it's worth, Phoebe is an F1 (lab mum, miniature poodle dad). She does shed but it's little fluff bunnies rather than hairs everywhere.

As we all know, any puppy is hard work and doodles are no exception. Good training - the consistent, firm, kind type, will produce a happy, biddable dog which is what we all want.

Phoebe is a particularly laid back, very patient, loving, clever little girl. After about 18 months, the bad habits went away but up till then I couldn't leave anything lying about - we went through two remote controls, umpteen pairs of glasses, one computer mouse, socks, fly swatters....I lost count of the stuff she chewed up. And nobody's mentioned the propensity to dig holes in your garden!

But, as I say, that was the puppy stage and now she's the perfect dog.

She doesn't bark unless somebody unfamiliar comes around or walks past the house, which for me is great as I live alone and she's my guard dog (never mind that she'd just lick a burglar to death!).

I have never met anyone who didn't fall in love with Phoebe's character - people, dogs and especially children adore her, and she's so gentle with the little ones.

For me, a doodle is the ideal dog whether you're a family of teens, young children or just on your own.

Good luck with your search!

Love and licks, Phoebe and Mandy

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2014, 16:24 

Just remembered their status as water/mud magnets, the cow-pat beards and - the 'icing on the cake' - their 'white trousers obsession'.... :shock:

MandyG wrote:
And nobody's mentioned the propensity to dig holes in your garden!
MandyG, I thought 'garden clearance' had covered that! :roll: :lol:

It is true that I wouldn't recommend them to a really house proud person (my S-I-L, for instance...) What a good job they're completely loveable!!! Doodles that is. :roll:
Anne & Ianto x

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2014, 18:18 

Aussie doods can come quite small if you want - lola is 14 inches. She is a lot calmer than doodles in general, other breeds in their mix seems to have that effect!

In fact she is my assistance dog. She doesn't moult. She doesn't smell, even when wet.

She has never stolen anything or chewed anything, is very obedient but still retains the daft qualities and intelligence the breed is known for.

She also lies on her back with her legs in the air, another doodle thing!

For my next dog i am vacillating between another Aussi dood or a poodle - they are allergy friendly and the second most intelligent dog and look exactly like a dood if not poodle cut. But you have to be careful to get one that is 'bomb-proof' as they can be skittish with noise and unhappy in a 'shouty' household.

The other thing that both poodles and doodles do is go up on hind legs, a VERY hard thing to train them out of, it was the most tricky thing we found. Poodles are known for their ability to walk on their hind legs. This is hard work to train out and can be dangerous if the dog is big.

Can't think of any other drawbacks except - like many dogs Lola likes rolling in fox poo, has to be cut every 3 months as her hair gets tangly if long (a shedder would not have to be trimmed), and she has a tendencey to dash round the house like a whirlwind (known as doodle-dashing, poodles do this too.