including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 18 Aug 2018, 01:17

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Annie came back
PostPosted: 15 Aug 2014, 10:20 

Have to share - when I moved here to my new home in the country I came with two cats (brother and sister) and a dog. After two weeks I was down to one cat and a dog....Annie had done a runner.

Last night - two months later and after giving up all hope - Annie came back! I was out calling her brother Mac in and heard "him" reply (which he always does). At first I thought he was hurt as it didn't sound like his usual call, so I got a torch and went outside, only to find Annie sitting outside the house. I coaxed her in and she has deigned to stay the night.

She seems fine, if a bit skinny, and is being uber affectionate.

My dilemma is what to do now. She hasn't been happy since I got Phoebe and, even at the other house, would disappear for days at a time (usually across the street to the neighbours). Once, she was gone from Guy Fawkes night to Christmas Eve. Should I take her back to the rescue centre and let them find her a home where she's happier (she's nearly 11) or should I just accept the fact that she's going to disappear for weeks at a time?

The other part of the equation is Mac, who has been happier without his sister pushing him around. Mac and Phoebe are good friends and will even sleep together.

I want to do what's best for Annie and Mac but can't make up my mind what that is.

Has anyone else faced a similar problem? What did you do?

Love and licks, Phoebe and Mandy

Post subject: Re: Annie came back
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2014, 08:11 

Glad she's OK! It's a tricky one - I'm not sure what I'd do tbh - maybe she is just an independant cat who pops home when she needs to and would do the same in any home :|

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2014, 09:20 

two friends have had this dilemma when dogs arrived at their house.

Case one -One cat moved to neigbours, an older couple and stayed. He was very happy as an only cat. When my friends moved it was decided that the former neighbours would keep him. One of the neighbours died and eventually his wife decided to move to a flat near her daughter. My friends ending up having the cat back as he was elderly somewhat poorly and the former neighbour did not feel she could take him to a flat.

Case Two - the cat did not taketo dogs and the next door neighbour started feeding him and letting him sleep on her bed. My friends kept asking her not to do it but eventually accepted he prefered this household arangement. Just the other day they saw him and he seemed in very poor condition and very hungry. They took him to the vet and were advised PTS. It seems the neighbour had lost her job and was unable to aford the vet fees. He was very elderly so probably the PTS was expected but this has lead to upset an arguments between the neighbours.

I have just shared this to say I think it is helpful to get an agreement is this a full rehoming or if circumstances change will the new home bring Annie back or will it be just a case of Annie suits herself. If so how will you feel if she turns up in very poor condition one day.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2014, 11:22 

I lost a cat for 2 months once ,i think she had been shut in shed she was vey skinny,then she had to have eye out, and few years after she got lost for two weeks and then thy called to say they had found him but he had been hit by car ,so we had to get him put to sleep ,it was such a shame .I felt guilty because he was my freinds cat who killed herself and new i had to look after her taffy .Once i had a cat called misty and when i got a new cat few years after she would not come in the house much she would go around my neibours ,she was also knocked down by car and had to have her put too sleep she had been very badly hurt ,they still pur when they ae hurt.I have a 16 year old cat name milly shes a lovly cat never sratched at all.I would make her a house in the garden shed as long as shes warm and feed she will be fine.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2014, 09:11 

Thanks guys. Cats are funny animals, aren't they? Annie has been home for a couple of days now and is showing no signs of leaving. She is VERY skinny, all bone, and I need to feed her up. She seems happier here than she was in the other house - maybe because this is a bungalow. she's being very affectionate, not fighting with Phoebe and Mac doesn't seem too bothered. My main problem now is sharing the love :lol: :lol:

I've decided to keep her and let her come and go as she pleases. Now she knows where she lives again, I'm hoping she won't disappear for another two months, but if she wants to go for a few days, at least I know she's still on the park and not wandering lost is the woods.

These furries can be more stressful than life, but we love them anyway and they are all part of my family.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2014, 09:08 

I was in this situation with one of my cats.

One of my cats, Daisy, is very affectionate and is most definitely the boss out of the animals in our house, Murphy never chases her, or if he tries she stands her ground, swipes him and he soon stops. But, my other cat, Flossie, was never particularly friendly and petrified of Murphy and would run every time she saw him, which of course, he thought was a wonderful game. She also seemed scared of Daisy. She would never come into the house and I had to feed her outside on the front doorstep. I have no idea where she slept, but she definitely went into other people's houses as one time she was gone for a few days and I knocked on a few doors near where I live and everyone told me what a lovely, friendly cat she was and that they often found her asleep in their houses! :roll:

I just got to the point where I accepted that I would end up 'sharing' her with everyone in the neighbourhood!

Sadly at the beginning of January she got poisoned, not sure whether intentionally by someone (I hope not), or whether she picked up some of the poison that the local farmer put out for foxes ( :evil: ). I ended up having to have her out down.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2014, 08:24 

What a sad tale for Flossie. I guess that's the risk you take when you let your cats out, and they DO want to go out.

Except, Annie has been back a couple of weeks now and is showing absolutely no sign of wanting to leave the house. She's putting on weight - the vet suggested kitten food - and seems quite happy sleeping in my room most of the day.

It's nice to have all my furries back under one roof.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2014, 21:01 

So glad she is doing well and happy to stay in.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage