Advice on coats and grooming needed

This forum is for posting reviews of dog- and labradoodle-related /products/. Please do not use it for making or soliciting comments about breeders or people (although /most/ breeders are people too!)
val&finn

Advice on coats and grooming needed

Post by val&finn » 27 Feb 2014, 22:50

Hi there, I am after a coat for our newly acquired Doodle girl Izzy, 6 months old. She has this fleecy, spirally coat that takes ages to dry and in the current downpours she gets very wet and shaggy looking. I found a coat that covers her back (she's 53 cm from neck to start of tail) - BUT it's far too big around her belly. Does anyone know of products that fit a slender girl with a longish back?

And - any hints and tips to keep her lovely coat in pristine condition between the monthly groomer visits would also be very welcome!

Our older Doodle, is a scruffy coated one, so is very easy to clean up.

Many thanks! Val
Val, Finn Doodle & Izzy Whizz

Bid

Re: Advice on coats and grooming needed

Post by Bid » 27 Feb 2014, 22:58

I've no help with the coats as my curly slimline girl doesn't wear one. My hint for coat care with the spirally coats is that I find it easier to keep her coat a little shorter during this weather - she is very active when out, and the heating is on when home so she is really more comfortable that way. If she has been swimming then she has a bathrobe that she wears afterwardsto keep her warm whilst she dries. I also have a blaster drier to get most of the water and muck off after a wet walk.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Ben

Post by Ben » 27 Feb 2014, 23:37

All my three have the Dog Overall from Zooplus. What I like best us that it really covers the underneath, is soft on the inside, pretty water proof, easy to wash and very secure.

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 28 Feb 2014, 01:23

Hi Val,

You could try this:

http://www.muddypaws.co.uk/dog-coats-cl ... 74785t10p4

I know a couple of people who have them for their doodles (one is Tracey, Henry Doodle's Mum). Pretty good price at the moment too!

Ianto has a curly/fleece coat, with 'spiral' curls on his hind legs. I use the red Les Pooches double-sided brush on him and it works really well... his coat is quite long now (due a haircut!) and not a sign of a matt. HTH -

Anne & Ianto x

val&finn

Post by val&finn » 28 Feb 2014, 11:31

Folks, you are brilliant!

Many thanks for the ideas posted so far which I am going to follow up one by one.

Regards, Val
Val, Finn Doodle & Izzy Whizz

ClareV

Post by ClareV » 28 Feb 2014, 22:27

Zooplus overalls for my Charlie. They have a drawstring so you can adjust the tummy. Brilliant! I got drenched today and he just ended up with his lower legs black, a muddy head and neck, but the rest of him was white and dry!!