A light bulb moment about toy destruction!

This forum is for posting reviews of dog- and labradoodle-related /products/. Please do not use it for making or soliciting comments about breeders or people (although /most/ breeders are people too!)
eileenandmolly

A light bulb moment about toy destruction!

Post by eileenandmolly » 08 Jan 2015, 20:25

I might be slow on the uptake, but having spent a small fortune over the years on toys for my 2 x power chewers, only to watch them be destroyed in minutes if not seconds :twisted: , I have only just cottoned on to the fact that ball toys last longer ....... They can't hold them down with their paws in order to use their teeth and jaws to maximum effect!!

Soooo Kong Squeekair tennis balls have lasted since Christmas (under supervision, and timed play, I admit) and one has just been killed. Also Kong Squeeze ball has also lasted till today, before being partially killed!

They're not as expensive as many of the toys they've destroyed!

Any other suggestions always appreciated!!!
Ei, Molly and Saffie

Bid

Re: A light bulb moment about toy destruction!

Post by Bid » 08 Jan 2015, 22:14

I have some guaranteed indestructable goughnut toys and they were not cheap! It turns out if my dogs can't destroy a toy, they are not interested in playing with it!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

eileenandmolly

Post by eileenandmolly » 08 Jan 2015, 22:26

I think we've had this conversation before, Bid :)

My two also think a toy's main purpose is to be destroyed!!!

I simply share a temporary success!! :P
Ei, Molly and Saffie

Bid

Post by Bid » 08 Jan 2015, 22:39

I thought I'd had a brilliant toy idea at Christmas when I got Poppy a toy with a squeak audible only to dogs - I reckoned she could squeak away to her hearts content without annoying everyone. It was fine until she removed the magic squeak - with surgical precision!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

MandyG

Post by MandyG » 08 Jan 2015, 23:46

My sister, who lives in California and has three dogs, says she might just as well give them a $10 bill to rip up :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm very luck with Phoebe as she has a soft mouth and doesn't destroy her toys. Well, she rips the stuffing out :roll: but I've got the "skins" of toys she's had for three years and still plays with.

Love and licks, Phoebe and Mandy

Sarahdol75

Post by Sarahdol75 » 09 Jan 2015, 00:04

My OH came home with a toy for Harley, saying he wont get through this, its solid, well it took him all of 3 minutes to destroy it, OH, was a bit shocked, well I did tell him, but he wouldnt listen :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ImageImage

suebedo

Post by suebedo » 09 Jan 2015, 08:17

We use the Air Kong squeaky tennis balls but they only last one or two walks before they sink. There again, anyone who has been on a walk with Fozz knows that his walking is mostly swimming with walking/running as a second best. The balls can't cope with the constant wet. :(

Spilsted

Post by Spilsted » 09 Jan 2015, 11:45

having spent a fortune on tennis type balls from pets stores that are chewed through in no time, I now use ebay to buy used tennis balls from tennis clubs that change their balls frequently for the club members. They are practically brand new and well worth the small amount I pay for them as he never yet chewed through one. The only problem is that I constantly have a dozen or so tennis balls over my kitchen floor that he has lifted out from his toy basket! One never seems to be enough for him.

Bid

Post by Bid » 10 Jan 2015, 01:05

Do you know, I worry that tennis balls are too small for a standard doodle. They are just the size that woulds get stuck in a doodle throat :-( I use the slightly bigger tennis balls, just in case :|
www.dogtrekker.co.uk

Lara and Shaun

Post by Lara and Shaun » 10 Jan 2015, 09:39

Hi I have found chuckit balls amazing, they come in different sizes and are rubber so no fuzz as one of my boys just skins tennis balls! They seem to last ages although I only let them have them when we go out to the park for a ball throwing session! A good place to buy seems like active hound.

suebedo

Post by suebedo » 10 Jan 2015, 11:21

Bid wrote:Do you know, I worry that tennis balls are too small for a standard doodle. They are just the size that woulds get stuck in a doodle throat :-( I use the slightly bigger tennis balls, just in case :|
I have the same worry Bid, the air Kong tennis balls kit nicely in the Large size chuck-it launcher. We also have the chuck-it balls for playing out of the water, they're too expensive to lose in the water and they do sink eventually (there is a little pinhole in them).

Bren

Post by Bren » 10 Jan 2015, 22:01

[quote="eileenandmolly"]I might be slow on the uptake, but having spent a small fortune over the years on toys for my 2 x power chewers, only to watch them be destroyed in minutes if not seconds :twisted: , I have only just cottoned on to the fact that ball toys last longer ....... They can't hold them down with their paws in order to use their teeth and jaws to maximum effect!!

HI meet Bowie he's the one on the left. He will destroye a ball in about 5minutes flat. He holds it in between his paws and pulls with his teeth. Any toy you give him he destroyes. I have tried telling him off but it makes no difference yet Ziggy will play for hours with a ball. If you give him squeeky toys he won't rest untill he has the sqeeker out. The only thing lasting at the mo are the KONGS they both had for xmas.

Bowie & Ziggy

kathiedoodle

Post by kathiedoodle » 14 Jan 2015, 08:31

Hi, Bit late but Hope New Year brings all you wish for. Toys- like you I have spent a fortune on toys that last minutes, best ones the large Kong, large knotted ropes, large squeaky Kong tennis ball, and a flimsy rubber rugby shaped ball, she allows this to survive because she loves to play footy with me she's the goal keeper and I have to get the ball past the post (the doorway) Luckily I have had no damage to the house at all. Just a continuous supply of toy ideas, an empty large chocolate tin with treats inside makes a noisy roll about bit of fun and then I release 1 of the treats put the lid back on and off she goes again. An empty teabag box with treats inside and sealed up fun to watch her try to get a hold of it and then destroy it for the treat inside. The Grandchildren bought the proverbial toys at Christmas with the usual end 6 minutes max of life! but Holly really enjoyed unwrapping them !!
ImageImage

Sandy B

Post by Sandy B » 14 Jan 2015, 09:03

Hi Kathie
I love the photo, I said it before, I know , but Holly is beautiful.
I have spent a fortune on toys for Dolly already and we havent even got her yet ! Want to be prepared. I guess we will find out what she likes and doesnt when we get her. Its almost like preparing for a new baby.
Love
Sandra x

kathiedoodle

Post by kathiedoodle » 14 Jan 2015, 09:51

Morning Sandra,
Never a truer word spoken I have found there's not a lot of difference in dog/child rearing all clearing up, repartition, love and cuddles and surviving the different phases but worth it in the end. Can't wait to see photos of Dolly. I expect the first few days will be hard (just like a new first baby) poor Holly was sick all the way home on my lap I had taken lots of towels and wet wipes luckily, hope breeder does not feed Dolly that morning. Holly slept for the rest of the day and would not eat or get out of bed, we started to panic as new parents do. After a good nights sleep her true colours emerged the next day. Its been a roller coaster ride ever since. Hurry up weekend.
Kathie (by the way what area are you, I'm in East Sussex)