Dog care on your holiday

THis section is for posting about locations and attractions that are dog-friendly. Holiday homes, hotels, campsites and pubs - at home or abroad.
Bid

Dog care on your holiday

Post by Bid » 19 Aug 2013, 22:00

I am a dog walker, and I occasionally provide doggy day care. I'm not advertising my services, but mentioning it as a handy hint. I sometimes get an email from families holidaying in my area staying in a cottage with their dog, and who want to visit somewhere that dogs are not allowed, or where it isn't appropriate to take them ( a day out at a beach in high summer for example), and they drop their dog off with me for the day. These people get my details from NARPSUK - http://www.narpsuk.co.uk/static/pet-owners-information, so wherever you are staying, the chances are there is someone on there nearby who will look after your doodle if you want to go out. I'd never have thought of doing that, so I thought I'd mention it :D
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

ClareV

Re: Dog care on your holiday

Post by ClareV » 19 Aug 2013, 22:10

That's a great idea - thanks, Bid. Luckily when we go away we normally stay with family or friends, but it's v helpful to know that if we are elsewhere in the country there is the possibility of local doggy daycare. Though I'm probably just as interested in a husband crèche! :lol:

Kirstie & Murphy

Post by Kirstie & Murphy » 20 Aug 2013, 02:31

Thanks Bid, I used this site from a previous thread when I was searching for a new home boarder for Murphy, our usual lady is at a family wedding abroad. My mum looked after Murphy this holiday but I found a local lady through NARPS should we ever need her for an emergency. :D
Kirstie & Murphy
Image Image

Maggie111

Post by Maggie111 » 20 Aug 2013, 08:55

Never heard of NARPS - thanks for the recommend :)

I've found a lot of people think the only options for dogs is a kennel and they're surprised to learn about home boarding.

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 20 Aug 2013, 10:40

Crikey, what a good idea! It means your dog could go away with yo and have some of the fun, without you being handicapped by no-dog policies.

We are lucky of course - Lola can go anywhere - but occasionally, very occasionally, there is something that I'd like to do that would be handy without her. Rock climbing. Parachuting. Very unlikely, but still! Not sure if anyone would want to take the responsibility of an assistance dog though!
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

Bid

Post by Bid » 20 Aug 2013, 11:39

Weddings is another one - I recently had a lovely little terrier for the day - and ended up chauffeuring him back to their holiday cottage at midnight so they could have a few drinks at the evening do! :lol:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 21 Aug 2013, 12:42

I never knew about this site, thank you.

We ae really lucky in that a friend of mine always has Murph for us, whether its just for a day or for two weeks and she loves him to bits and spoils him rotten, but she is 80 and I don't want to have to rely on just her (she would kill me if she could read this!).

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

molsp

Post by molsp » 22 Aug 2013, 11:51

I have never heard of this type of service - what's a great idea Bid. :D

Jay128

Post by Jay128 » 22 Aug 2013, 14:35

Thanks Bid, that's one of my worries gone if we are having son at home for a long period of time. We are all going away as a family, I hope, for my Husbands 50th birthday in December and I have friends who always look after our dogs for us but that's when we have one. They know the GS Jess well so I would rather leave her with them and find a sitter for Poppy Doodle and there are three local to us on the site you suggested.
:D
ImageImage