camper van / motor home

THis section is for posting about locations and attractions that are dog-friendly. Holiday homes, hotels, campsites and pubs - at home or abroad.
molsp

Re: camper van / motor home

Post by molsp » 22 Aug 2013, 10:29

Oh ME of little faith!

You know, when I started this post I didn't really know if I would get much response, so I didn't check back for a while. WHAT DO I KNOW?! What a lot of info.

We are definately getting one - we are downshifting house size and its part of the deal :D

In honesty we will prob use it from say....March/ April till Sept/Oct. UK only and probably for only 2 - 4 days at a time, (maybe just the occasional whole week.) My ideal seems to be having the ability to say, "The weather is good let's go to tomorrow!"

Taking our girls to the beach has always be one of our pleasures - I LOVE the way they go mad as soon as their little feet hit the sand. However, finding dog friendly accommodation has always proved tricky. Plus, I feel a bit guilty if we have to take them back covered in sand and smelling of wet dog, so consequently get on the OHs nerves by insisting on a long walk to dry off, followed by the gooming sessions :?

As other half insists his towing days are over ( been there/dont that) camper van / motor home seems a great option. Our friends have one but it's massive and they tow a car behind but I think I would never be able to drive something that big.

I guess we will visit a couple of shows but I am such a soft target for salesmen (I have bought the most amazing crap over the years cos i get talked into it . :oops: )

There's lots of info here for me too digest and refer back to also BUT could I be a real pain and ask what people think is the smallest size that would accommodate us and our Lola???.... Maisy is small enough to fit in our pockets (and realistically I would be foolish to include Dinah in our calculation :( ).

Thanks all heaps.

dexysback

Post by dexysback » 22 Aug 2013, 15:29

We had a t 25 and we fitted dexter in the boot part ,got a thin mattress mad up and he lay comfortable,and we lay in middle part ,the was small fridge and sink and two ring cooker .Some cook outside ,it was fine for driving arond town ,but when it broke we got caravan,then we brougt our talbot ramble it as shower room and sink cooker and fridge it is a bit biger then t25 bt sill small enough to go round town and park ,but the whinnybagoo is 20ft and we havent drove it yet so dont know how we will feel to drive,but two double beds can be made up.IF you look on ebay motorhomes ad cameprvans you will see all difrent types and layots in side to suit your needs,we re with the rendeovoe camping club around the mdlands and we only do weekend a couple of five days a year ,look it up on internet and you will see us enjoying ourselfs,good luck with your search.
ImageImage

Harvey Doodle

Post by Harvey Doodle » 22 Aug 2013, 18:54

This is one of the only times when the hooman comes first - a dood will easily find somewhere to sleep unless they are a huge labradonkey. We met a 52 kg doodle in Looe travelling with a standard poodle and their hoomans. Now they require a lot of space and were in a large Autotrail.

At Great Malvern we met another couple with a doodle bigger than Harvey, a double doodle that was bigger still, and a russian black terrier that was over 30 inch to the shoulder 55 kg and only 9 months old. Again the dogs will dictate the size required and they had a big A class.

Harvey is 32 kg and sleeps happily under the dinette table. They are in the same room as you so are very happy.

The most important factor is how big or more importantly how tall you are; if both are less than say 5'10" you will fit most of the beds in any size van but over 6' and you need to be very careful.

If you go to the shows, particularly the outdoor shows there are so many people just looking out of general interest you are less likely to be hassled by a salesman. You get the chance to see many different types and makes to compare. Look at them, imagine what it will be like to sit in it in the evening in the rain. Whip your shoes off and lay on the beds, particularly when they are fixed beds. Look carefully how beds are made up if they convert from seats and think how you will feel carrying out that task every night. These things will help you chose and hopefully chose correctly.

Best of luck
Ken, Marion & Harvey
ImageImage

molsp

Post by molsp » 22 Aug 2013, 21:46

Ahem! well, we are not tall John is 5.9/10 ish and i am 5.2 and a half (and a bit).

We are going to go along to a show or 2, probably with a view to buying before next spring

I realise that it's a big expense but, you know what? We dont really spend much on ourselves, especially on holidays. So we are well in credit!

You lot are the bees knees - totally brilliant :D

Vincento

Post by Vincento » 23 Aug 2013, 10:18

molsp....I love camper vans and we have had three VW T25 over the years (obviously one after the other not altogether :roll: ) I am just 5ft and find it easy to stand up in them (we've always had a pop top) without the roof up but hubby is 5ft 9in and cannot ...(ok if the roof is up) and as time has gone on his back problems have worsened...he can now cope with about two/three nights in the camper before his back kicks in (the sleeping although comfortable means you have to clamber in/out of bed in an ungainly way) we have tried all sorts to get over this but he needs to be able to swing his legs out and sit up first. So please consider this when you go looking and also remember the bigger and higher the vehicle/roof the more it catches the wind...just follow a lorry on the motorway :roll: For us a Motor Home (although we like them) has always been out because we know in our hearts we would just not use it enough ...with our camper we can and do go out to the Norfolk coast on the good winter days and it's good to keep the camper running rather than having it standing around approx 5 months off the road. It is personal choice, take a list with you when you go looking of your priorities and what you may have to compromise on. We have now purchased a small Eriba caravan for our longer trips to help his back out......that's another subject altogether :wink: Good Luck with your search :)

Harvey Doodle

Post by Harvey Doodle » 23 Aug 2013, 12:44

molsp - good luck with your search.

We might see you on a campsite somewhere.
Ken, Marion & Harvey
ImageImage