Sailing doods

THis section is for posting about locations and attractions that are dog-friendly. Holiday homes, hotels, campsites and pubs - at home or abroad.
Jasper

Sailing doods

Post by Jasper » 11 Sep 2013, 10:18

I must be totally bonkers! :lol: :oops: :lol:
I've just organised with mum and dad to go sailing with them and I'm taking Jasper!!!!!!!! my 34kg donkeydoodle.
They are taking part in a club rally from Portchester to The Folly Inn on the IoW.
I phoned the Folly and a super lady said they are very dog friendly ..... Sooom I'm going for it.
Not only will this be his first sailing trip (he's been on the boat in the marina a couple of times now) but the calming influence of my OH will be absent ("tennis tour" in Portugal :roll: ).
Help! Desperately want this to work because I love sailing so much.
Tips anybody? I'll take TONNES of chewy veg sticks, bones, kongs etc of course. Thankfully, he's normally really chilled out (for a dood) but I think my main concern is getting him on and off the boat, we're not even attempting the dinghy.
Phew..
Jo and Jasper
x

pixie's mum

Re: Sailing doods

Post by pixie's mum » 11 Sep 2013, 14:13

I would get a bouyance vest as a bit of piece of mind should the dood decide to go snorkelling - otherwise have fun!!!
Kathy
ImageImage
ImageImage

ClareV

Post by ClareV » 11 Sep 2013, 14:28

Where is he going to cock his leg? My ex's family used to take their spaniel sailing and pop ashore in the dinghy for him to do his business. On a stony beach he ran up to a fisherman and piddled all up the fishing rod!! Apologies profusely given!! :lol:

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 11 Sep 2013, 14:50

Hi Pixie's mum,
He has a buoyancy jacket, that he pretends he cant walk in!!! he wobbles about with a really stupid look ion his face, until you get the chicken out, so I know he's playing up, a necessary evil, but I don't want him to associate sailing with the dreaded jacket. We've done the desensitizing tricks with it but to no avail.
ClareV, There's nothing like owning a dog to teach you humility :lol:
Thankfully he doesn't cock his leg on random things at all (how's that for jinxing it!) so I'm treating it as you would a car journey, good walk first then a short sail (about 3-4 hours depending on wind) then another walk. We're lucky in that he has a cast iron bladder!!!

Jo and Jasper
x

ClareV

Post by ClareV » 11 Sep 2013, 15:00

If his buoyancy aid has a chicken in it, no wonder he walks strangely!! :lol: :lol:

Think you will have a great time. Pics please!

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 11 Sep 2013, 15:04

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
that's a good tip ClareV.
I may struggle with action shots, you know the mantra, "one hand for the boat, one hand for me" plus the dog, plus the camera! I foresee a comedy moment coming!
Will do my best, or get mum to be official trip photographer!!
x

ClareV

Post by ClareV » 11 Sep 2013, 16:45

If possible I think I would clip him onto the boat... I remember sailing when it was very rough and feeling safer at the helm when I was in harness and clipped on. Leaves you one hand free for the boat and one for the glass of gin!

julieju

Post by julieju » 11 Sep 2013, 20:20

Ooh, sounds exciting! The Folly has river taxis that will ferry you from your boat to their pontoon. The place is always buzzing, there will be plenty of people around to help with safe doggie transit!

Hope you all have a fab day xx
Julie and Aero xx

suzi23173

Post by suzi23173 » 11 Sep 2013, 20:35

Hi, definitely not mad- we take Tess on our boat and she is fine- I wouldn't say she loves it and is confident yet but she isn't afraid and is quite happy.
We have to lift her on and off. We scoop her up round all four legs and lift her on to the side deck over the guard rail. It's quite tricky and she doesn't like that part much but then she's fine.
Obviously we make sure she has a wee and poo before and the chance straight after and you can only go out for as long as they can comfortably hold on.
It got unexpectedly quite rough last time and she didn't mind a bit.
I would tie him on while you're in the marina but think carefully about doing it when you are sailing as if, heaven forbid, the boat was badly holed it could go down in seconds and if he's tied on he stands no chance at all. It's a hard call because he's at risk of falling or jumping over too.
If you were worried you could always have a lead on him to hold or grab. Not trying to be scary- just sharing all the things we thought of before taking Tess on board.
You see dogs climbing about all over boats and I hope Tess gets this confident.
He will be fine I am sure- you will have a lovely time. let us know how you get on! xxx
Love,
Suzi and Tess.
xxx