holidays with a puppy

THis section is for posting about locations and attractions that are dog-friendly. Holiday homes, hotels, campsites and pubs - at home or abroad.
kellygrace

holidays with a puppy

Post by kellygrace » 08 Jan 2014, 07:40

Hi everyone

We are wanting to take our puppy on holiday with us in a few months and have a few questions.

We are looking at staying in a cottage, ideally north of England close to the coast. She will be nearly 6 months old when we go and we have a 5 year old child.

We have seen lots of nice cottages advertised as dog friendly but they all say that the dog can't be left in the cottage alone. At 6 months she still be restricted to short walks a couple of times a day. What else would we be able to do that is suitable for a puppy and a young child?

We are looking at getting a place with a garden so they can hopefully both play outside with us but it will be early in the year so the weather might not be good. If we needed to do any indoor activities are there any options that are suitable?

Does anyone know of any partiularly dog friendly towns or villages? Maybe where there are places we could go out to eat for example and our dog would be welcome? Or a place with a few nice beaches where dogs are allowed.

Thanks for any help :)

suebedo

Re: holidays with a puppy

Post by suebedo » 08 Jan 2014, 08:03

I think that all of the cottages that I have looked at say that you cannot leave dogs by themselves - obviously to reduce potential damage. One cottage that I booked last year had restrictions on the age of the dog - nothing under 1 year (I didn't read that until after I'd booked and had 2 big dogs under 1!!!) so that is something else to look out for.

I am going to Cumbria in March and have been told it is very dog friendly but will put reviews of good places we have been to on here when we get back.

It may be worth looking for some doggie day care places in the area that you are staying so that you are able to have a day going to somewhere where you can't take your puppy with you.

Harvey Doodle

Post by Harvey Doodle » 08 Jan 2014, 10:20

Hi

I can't help with personal experience of locations in the North of England but a couple of web sites may help you.

Cottages - The Dogs Trust are partnered with Welcome Cottages. Go to the Dogs Trust site and search holidays for info; all are dog friendly.

Places to eat - See www.doggiepubs.org.uk I've found it a very useful site when touring; it's also available as an app for smartphones.

Our solution for holidaying with Harvey is a motorhome. :D
Ken, Marion & Harvey
ImageImage

kellygrace

Post by kellygrace » 08 Jan 2014, 11:23

Thanks for your help, just had a quick look on the doggiepubs website - looks very useful :D

Hadn't thought of day care. That sounds good as a one off so we can go out for the day but hopefully if the weather is ok we can find places that we can all go to x

minkersmum

Post by minkersmum » 04 Feb 2014, 19:30

Does she go in a crate in the car? I took my Great Dane on holiday as a young pup. Was a bit stressful because her toilet training took a backwards step in a strange place but was still a really good holiday. We had a car crate for her and she came out on day trips, walked while she could and then slept in the car when she was tired. I had a lock thing for the boot that kept door slightly open but car still locked but this was only really needed because it was summer.

kellygrace

Post by kellygrace » 05 Feb 2014, 07:50

Thanks - that's interesting. Yes she does go in a crate and we are planning on taking it with us so she has somewhere familiar to sleep. I haven't left her in the car even for 5 minutes (which is a nightmare when doing the school run!) as I read somewhere that it was dangerous even for a very short period of time? I was a bit confused to be honest - obviously common sense is not to lock your dog in a hot car but is it really a problem for short periods as long as the dog isn't too hot? Apologies if this is a silly question - we are new to this dog owning business! I haven't felt comfortable to leave her but would be interested to hear what is considered acceptable x

suebedo

Post by suebedo » 05 Feb 2014, 07:58

Leaving a dog in the car is sometimes unavoidable. If I am out by myself, and I fill up with fuel, it could easily be 10 minutes queuing to pay. It's not something that I would plan to do but for short times, I would do it out of necessity (obviously weather dependant).

willow&kobi

Post by willow&kobi » 04 Mar 2014, 23:53

I've just booked a lodge in Ulswater in the lakes for June, the dogs go free which is a bonus

Bid

Post by Bid » 05 Mar 2014, 00:50

I do doggy daycare and I get people on holiday booking their pup in for a day or half day while they go out. This is a good site for finding someone ... http://www.narpsuk.co.uk/static/pet-owners-information

I had a couple bring their dog to me while they went to a wedding, and they arranged to collect him at midnight - they dropped him off in all their finery, and picked him up in a cab minus ties/shoes/shirts! :lol: :lol:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron