Good stopping places on M6

THis section is for posting about locations and attractions that are dog-friendly. Holiday homes, hotels, campsites and pubs - at home or abroad.
suebedo

Good stopping places on M6

Post by suebedo » 12 Mar 2014, 21:18

On Saturday, we are going up to the Lake District for a week. We've hired a cottage with a garden so that the doods are safe and secure and we are really looking forward to it.

The journey according to iMaps is going to take over 5 hours and we'll be going M40, M42, M6. We've never yet found a good place to stop to let the dogs have a run around on a journey. There's often a grassy bit where you can walk the dogs on lead but they will be desperate for a run.

Does anyone have any ideas where we could stop on route to let them stretch their legs please?

Ben

Re: Good stopping places on M6

Post by Ben » 12 Mar 2014, 21:59

When we have travelled from Manchester to Devon we have only stopped once at the M6 toll road services, but kept them on the lead.

For 5 hrs I would just do two short toilet breaks and just get them up there quickly.
Expect heavy traffic from Birmingham to Lancaster, then pretty much clear after that.

suebedo

Post by suebedo » 12 Mar 2014, 22:25

Thanks Ben. I guessed everyone did what we did, sad really :(

travis

Post by travis » 12 Mar 2014, 22:48

I drive up and down the motorways with Chica for my work and I wouldn't let her off the lead at any service area. There are just too many risks. There are no doubt places you could go but too far off the motorway to be worthwhile.
The only place I can think of in my area is 1.5 miles from J17 M6 (Sandbach) where there is caravan dealership with a few open fields on the approach to their showroom. I used the field once to take photos of a Camper I was selling.
If you are interested PM me.
I'm assuming you will be travelling at normal times not the middle of the night.

Useful information for anyone heading across the channel by car.Driving to Portugal Our Way
Mechanical Rodeo Bull Hire For private parties & fun days.

thepadster

Post by thepadster » 12 Mar 2014, 22:54

We've used this website when we've been going to Scotland

http://www.drivingwithdogs.co.uk/
ImageImage

suebedo

Post by suebedo » 13 Mar 2014, 07:43

The website looks good Padster. Last night for some reason I was dithering about signing up as the companion book didn't have fantastic reviews. Once I'd snuggled into my bed and thought a little more clearly I decided to sign up - it's only £7 for goodness sake. Going to do it tonight so that hopefully the doods can have a run on the way there :D

Thanks everyone

AustinsMumma

Post by AustinsMumma » 13 Mar 2014, 21:44

Hiya
I live just off M6 junction 3 and our local park is 5 minutes up the road from the exit
If you are planning to come off anywhere around here let me know

J x

(p.s. I love the lakes, I'm originally from Cumbria myself. It's 3 hrs from my current house in the wst mids)
Austin Doodle came to town riding on a pony......
Austin's profession?... Eating Mummy's STEAK
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sharon-Tilly

Post by Sharon-Tilly » 14 Mar 2014, 07:47

Crook of lune picnic area is just off the m6 at Lancaster. A toilet stop and access to a big field and river for a good run.
ImageImage

suebedo

Post by suebedo » 29 Mar 2014, 10:36

Apologies for not replying to the kind people who offered to meet up for a walk on our travels. I hadn't packed and was running short of time before we left - sorry.

I subscribed to the website that The Padster had recommended and it was great. The only problem that I found was looking for something suitable on a small blackberry screen (I was driving and I was having to direct a technophobic husband on what button to press etc etc. :roll: ) This morning I have printed out all the M6 walks which I will put into a folder (I could have bought the book but this way I get the online access and a printed copy).

The Crook of Lune walk is in the guide - looks good.

The website is www.drivingwithdogs.co.uk for anyone who missed The Padsters post. About to go out and buy another ink cartridge and start on the M3 and M27 stops!