Cardigan Bay / Sea Virgin!

THis section is for posting about locations and attractions that are dog-friendly. Holiday homes, hotels, campsites and pubs - at home or abroad.
AustinsMumma

Cardigan Bay / Sea Virgin!

Post by AustinsMumma » 03 Apr 2014, 23:42

We've just booked a caravan site @ Cardigan Bay for a nice Easter break :o
Can't wait for Austin to see the sea!! :shock: :D

Have briefly looked at things round and about.. Poppit Sands is dog friendly..
Anyone familiar with the area? DF off-lead walks and DF open beaches at this season would be great
Also DF eateries and pubs etc?
I don't fancy leaving him alone at any point, unless abs necessary

And... mentioning the sea... how did you approach your dogs first time?! :shock:
i mean.. is he going to swim and never come back... do I put him on a long lead first... am I being bluddy panicky and stupid ???
:lol: :|

Thanks in advance all,
J xxx
Austin Doodle came to town riding on a pony......
Austin's profession?... Eating Mummy's STEAK
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

thepadster

Re: Cardigan Bay / Sea Virgin!

Post by thepadster » 04 Apr 2014, 09:41

How exciting. Wales has amazing beaches but you might now be in the no dogs season but if you check the site dog friendly britain it should give you the gen.

We were in Dorset last weekend and I always have this rosy picture of Paddy romping in the waves. Like heck! He hates the sound of the waves crashing on the shore, even little ones so I somehow screwed up that part of his training. But the number of dogs to play with was fantastic and he had a great time even if he stayed dry :D
ImageImage

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 04 Apr 2014, 09:49

Mornin' Jo,
How exciting! Your first real outing with the new 'van?
Can't help with Poppit Sands, but suebedo knows about it and should be along soon to help you out... :D
When we took Ianto to the seaside for his first experience he loved it... I kept him on a long line for his first 'taste' of the sea, just in case. But shouldn't have worried because my fearless, adventurous, Bear Grylls of a puppy took one look at the waves and ran away! :lol: :lol: (They weren't even big ones, just little swooshy ones... :roll: )
He got the hang of them in Cornwall and would go in calmer water but the rivers in Derbyshire hadn't prepared him for waves... :shock:
One thing we had to be careful of, was the demented doodle dash afterwards - he turns into a Gremlin if he gets wet.... :evil: But I'm sure your Austin will be a little angel!
Enjoy your holiday - and, of course, we'll need a blow by blow account!! (with piccies!) :D
Anne & Ianto x

Oo - forgot to add, beware of him drinking seawater - our trainer says it can come out explosively from both ends... :shock:

marymuffin

Post by marymuffin » 04 Apr 2014, 10:09

Hi, we're off to our caravan in Dorset next week. No help with Wales , but have a great first time in the 'van. Is Austin a chomper with ropes? Dexter is ,and we now have a heavy duty chain for him when we are sitting outside the 'van,he loves watching everyone playing and chatting. Austin will love the attention and be worn out most evenings dreaming of his lovely day. Enjoy your break. H and D

AustinsMumma

Post by AustinsMumma » 04 Apr 2014, 10:40

Thanks!
Yes first time out in van
We collect on the Thursday, off on the Friday ! :shock: :mrgreen:
The place we are getting it from (Raymond James) are spending a couple of hours showing us this and that.. they are supposed to have a good reputation
So, a lot will be trial and error!! Especially with the awning :lol: :evil:

I found this page ... http://www.visitcardigan.com/cardigan-t ... on/beaches
Seems to have a few dog beaches in cardigan?
Just need to look up the pubs/eateries side of things now

Getting excited! Hope the weather stays nice
I think I will get a long lead for Auz just to check he's not going to paddle off to Ireland!
My old dog (rest his soul) used to hate the sea too, and one time he drank a ton of sea water and.. yip.... vomit city 2 minutes later then runny poos all night :roll: Sheesh
Austin Doodle came to town riding on a pony......
Austin's profession?... Eating Mummy's STEAK
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

thepadster

Post by thepadster » 04 Apr 2014, 13:53

Here is a video of Paddy's introduction to the sea. We were on holiday in Scotland, looks like the Caribbean doesn't it? He was around 7 months. Be sure to have the video handy.

ImageImage

suebedo

Post by suebedo » 04 Apr 2014, 19:13

Very jealous of you going to Poppit Sands, I just fell in love with the place. You can go on the beach all year round (there is a separate section where dogs are allowed. We didn't find any eating places in that area that let us take the dogs in but we didn't look very hard - we sat outside. I'm sure they are around though, it relies on the tourist trade too much not to have dog friendly pubs around!

BTW, Padster - what beach was that in Scotland? It looks beautiful.

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 04 Apr 2014, 19:29

suebedo wrote:BTW, Padster - what beach was that in Scotland? It looks beautiful.
Yay, thanks suebedo, I was dying to ask.... see you there!! (where-ever it is...)
Paddy's delight is so up-lifting - the OH watched your video Padster and said, "Yep, that's a doodle! He's lovely..." There's nothing like watching a doodle having fun :D And the beach looks fantastic... how clean is that water?? :D :D Wow.
Anne & Ianto x

thepadster

Post by thepadster » 05 Apr 2014, 10:04

suebedo wrote:
BTW, Padster - what beach was that in Scotland? It looks beautiful.
To be honest I don't think it had a name. It was one of many beautiful beaches we came across when up in the very north of the western highlands. That one had a caravan site which was out of shot but many others had nothing around - abslolutely beautiful. Wales beaches are gorgeous too just miles and miles of sand - glorious. Lucky boy Austin :)
ImageImage