including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 24 Jan 2018, 00:32

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Mollie
PostPosted: 21 Dec 2017, 21:15 

:evil: uCan you help, I have a seven month old labradoodle,she has a lovely nature but is making life very difficult for myself and my husband.we are considering taking her back from whence she came because of her hyperactivity.she doesn't stop all day.we have taken her to puppy training classes but these do not help with the jumping constant mouthing and general bad behaviour. We love her very much but are at our wits end.

Post subject: Re: Mollie
PostPosted: 22 Dec 2017, 02:19 

Hi, hang in there she into testing the boundaries, be consistent and kind.

You don't say if you got her recently or had her from a young pup?

Check what food you feed as some are full of additives that aren't allowed in human food or same adds that send kids hyper.
No pup class is a magic cure, it's a daily thing. We all go to look silly :roll: Not sure I shouls say but I've had my boy good many years and he still can't sit to greet, he is toooo excited, walks round & round squeaking carrying his toy.
If she is mouthing give her, encourage her to her own soft toy.She will also be teething i suspect ...

Mostly ask her to do things, engage her brain rather than "No".
Help her learn self control.Simple things ask for a sit before a treat or a meal etc. Put some of her meal in a kong to keep occupied longer.

Take deep breath and stop scowling at her, you'll both feel better :wink: When you feel you'd like to explode just walk away.
Good luck

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2017, 15:40 

I agree with Pollydoodle. Another question- how much exercise do you give her? With Dude we find he's much less bouncy if he's had 2good walks plus a couple if sessions in the garden fetching his ball ( he's mad keen on playing ball) Ball sessions don't have to take long, it's more a case of a vigorous run around! And if the weather is bad we play indoors with toys or Hide The Treat! He loves finding food.
Regarding "mouthing" I expect you've tried just turning your back or putting a toy in her mouth?
They are lively bouncy lovable dogs but they need to know what's allowed and what isn't. A firm No helps, but shouting never dies- it just excites them!
Our Dude still ( he's 4) gets super excited when people come to the door. And when guests arrive he's beside himself with excitement. In these situations I clip his lead on and after letting people in we all sit down. Then when he's calm he's allowed off the lead.
Your Mollie is still very young. They stay pups for quite awhile.
I'm sure you can get through this phase. Good luck. Anny

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2017, 02:07 

The thing with puppy classes -they do not train your dog, they teach you how to train your dog, and it's up to you to put it all into practice. A couple of handy hints ... when she does something wrong, think about whether you have told her what is the right thing to do, e.g. when she greets you by jumping up, tell her how you really want her to greet you. Also, think of some tricks you can teach her - anything to keep her brain busy!