A quick hello

If you would like to, we invite you to post a short introduction about yourself and your interest in Labradoodles.
Gareth1707

A quick hello

Post by Gareth1707 » 29 Aug 2014, 11:18

Good morning.

As this is my first post I thought I best introduce myself. I'm Gareth and live with my partner of 8 years and we have a little daughter 2yrs called Belle.

We have been interested in having a pet dog for many years but put this on hold when my partner became pregnant. We now however feel that we are at the right point to welcome a pet into our family and after many months of discussion we agreed on a labradoodle.

Why did we agree on a labradoodle? I think this was more me as I have previously had toy and miniature poodles and found them to be excellent pets and great with children. However my better half wanted a Labrador or a spaniel.... So we agreed on a labradoodle.

I joined this site for a few reasons.

1 - ideally I would rather adopt a rescue dog then pay a breeder who sells to anyone and is nice as pie to your face but just talking utter rubbish to get a sale.

2 - looking for advice on adopting a doodle. I would like to know any tips or best practice in what to look for especially when checking if suitable with children.

3 - With a young child is adopting the correct way to go, as I appreciate rescue centres don't always have the full facts on the animals behaviour.

4 - if you think that I should buy a puppy any recommendations of who to contact.

5 - in general any tips or advice on the do's and do nots in the doodle world.

Thank you in advance

Gareth

michelle81

Re: A quick hello

Post by michelle81 » 29 Aug 2014, 14:29

Hi Gareth,

I recently adopted a labradoodle too, after doing a lot of research.

The Doodle Trust rehomes labradoodles (and other poodle crosses). They are a very passionate group (come and see them on FB, "Doodle Trust Friends") and will provide help and support when needed.

The Doodle Trust (http://www.labradoodletrust.com/) foster the dogs and evaluate them (one of the things they check is suitability with children).

michelle81

Post by michelle81 » 29 Aug 2014, 14:34

BTW, I adopted Monty from the Dogs Trust and I can't say enough good things about them. They also evaluate the dogs and have a behaviourist on site.

My experience of adopting has been wonderful. Although Monty's a bit more complicated, it's been lovely to have a more mature dog where we haven't had to worry about house training or finding out exactly how big he's going to grow (he's massive anyway, lol).

Michelle

Gareth1707

Post by Gareth1707 » 30 Aug 2014, 10:58

Thank you