Second Doodle?

If you would like to, we invite you to post a short introduction about yourself and your interest in Labradoodles.
dottydiva62

Second Doodle?

Post by dottydiva62 » 19 Oct 2014, 20:54

Hello Everyone

It has been a while since I have been on the forum but my doodle Gertie keeps me busy everyday and we have recently moved to West Sussex. I have a dilema-I love my girl so much and we spend our days walking the countryside for hours but at home sometimes I think it would be so nice for her to have a sister to play with as the cats never seem very keen and she just follows me everywhere never very far from my side! She is 1 today and I need to make a decision as to whether I bite the bullet and get another puppy. Is it hard work having two and do you think as she gets older she will become more chilled :lol: :lol: :lol:? Are doodles happier in pairs? All replies greatly appreciated.

Bren

Re: Second Doodle?

Post by Bren » 19 Oct 2014, 22:07

Hi Ziggy was 12mths old when we decided to have another doodle. We talked long and thought hard about it. We also took into consideration what to do if Ziggy did not get on with another dog.
No fears Bowie was only 5 weeks old, but Ziggy took him under his wings, Bowie followed him everywhere and still does. It was the best decision ever, They are companey for each other and such fun . However do not forget it is two lots of vet fees ,two lots of food ,but the best of all two lots of fun and two lots of love. :lol:
Good luck whatever you decide.

Bid

Post by Bid » 20 Oct 2014, 00:20

Well obviously I love having more than one doodle :D :D but tbh there are pros and cons. The major con is that for the first year you need to exercise and train the newcomer on his own, and it is very tiring. Mostly this is because the puppy will need shorter walks, but also you can't train a youngster and walk an older dog effectively at the same time. The pros are you get double the cuddles, laughs and fun. My lot will occasionally play together, but not on a regular basis. Mostly they hang out and laze together.

One thing to really think about is that is does change the dynamics - I try to take them out on their own fairly regularly so I can enjoy the bond between me and my doodle, as when I walk them together they often prefer doodle company :D
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

poppygreen

Post by poppygreen » 20 Oct 2014, 08:18

We thought Poppy Green would love a companion, but would not be very gentle with a puppy. When she had been speyed we looked for an older dog and were lucky enough to get 4 year old Oscar from the Doodle Trust. Despite him having treatment for mast cell cancer it was the best decision for us all. Now he is over his treatment and they have really 'taken off' and play and wrestle until they are exhausted [Oscar goes and sits in the car for a break!]. They are very different personalities but compliment each other.

Molmil

Post by Molmil » 20 Oct 2014, 10:09

Hello,
I would agreed with all Bid says. We got Rosa (now 4 months old) when Molly was 16 months old. The main things are that they need to be walked separately and time found to train them both separately too. It does take some juggling, especially if you're working, organising children, etc. The thing I noticed was that I had to make sure to play with Rosa, as she tended to look to Molly for play, where as Molly would always look to us, as she'd been used to only having us.
Having said all that, we wouldn't be without Rosa. The girls get on well and are having more fun together as Rosa gets bigger. They have very different personalities, but are both fab. Not sure the cats were too thrilled with another one, especially as she loves to give them a face wash!
Good luck with your decision.
Lesly, Molly and Rosa.

labradoodlelindsey

Post by labradoodlelindsey » 21 Oct 2014, 08:30

We had Somer from a pup and when she was 2 years old adopted Deisel,the same age, from the Doodle Trust in February this year. It has worked really well. They have completely different personalities but get on amazingly well. He is like a giant puppy all the time and she is the calming older sister with the odd mad moment thrown in each day. Not sure I could have managed another puppy but adopting Deisel from the trust has made our home complete and Somer loves him too. The added insurance food ect is of course not insignificant and I think I work now purely to pay for the dogs but they are worth every penny. As his exercise demands are far greater it means longer walks so we have all got fitter. I suppose what I thought was is that he would be just like Somer in his ways and of course he isn't, in fact they are the opposite in many ways. I spend slot more time daily doing dog things feeding walking, grooming, feeding etc.

pixie's mum

Post by pixie's mum » 21 Oct 2014, 10:38

I got jazz when pixie was 18 months old and it is definitely double everything!! It is hard work giving a new puppy all the attention it needs when you also have a juvenile to deal with but in saying that I love having 2 and wouldn't ever have a singleton again.
You do need lots of time to ensure all the basic foundation work with the pup is done and I found my older dog regressed a little for a while - almost as though she thought well if the pup does it I can too but this phase didn't last long.
I love how they're best friends and playmates and yet they still love their humans and want lots of cuddles. I would definitely consider an older rescue if you don't have the time for puppy training.
For a short while I did have 3 dogs as I had a very elderly mastiff. She taught my young doodles good manners before she died ( old age not death by doodle) and 3 dogs is a very different dynamic
ImageImage
ImageImage

poppygreen

Post by poppygreen » 21 Oct 2014, 15:28

I'm glad others agree about an older adoption, it worked so well for us we are very tempted to go for a 3rd!

ruth1981

Post by ruth1981 » 22 Oct 2014, 13:33

We got Matilda when Ramona was 18 months old and I'm so glad we did - I just love to see them playing together. I agree with what everyone's said about it being hard work and expensive but it has definitely been worth it. Also, in a lot of ways I found the second puppy easier to deal with than the first, as Ramona was such a good role model and also provided an outlet for some of the excess bounciness :lol:

Luciawak

Post by Luciawak » 28 Oct 2014, 11:04

OMG, Gertie is the spitting image of our labradoodle, Scooter. Where did you get her from?

Scooter is now 19mths and we have been thinking the same. I'm sure he would benefit from a playmate! He too follows me everywhere and our cats could do with some peace!

The problem with having another one comes down to finances with us. The day to day would not be a problem but it would be vets bills and if we went abroad. We went to Canada this year and it cost £300 to board Scooter. Although we don't begrudge it for one minute, we do like our yearly holiday abroad (as well as labradoodle hols). It would just be too expensive with two dogs and 3 cats!

doodleted

Post by doodleted » 28 Oct 2014, 21:18

Hi. We have just got another doodle, through a rescue center.
Mabel is 4yrs old and has fitted in like a dream.
Our other doodle Ted is 3 in December,we have had him since he was 10 wks old. He was a handful as a puppy, and while he is probably the nicest natured dog we have ever had I didnt think I could deal with another puppy. Also my health isnt quite what it should be and sometimes going on long walks can be a bit tricky.
We also have a Jack Russell cross called Patch who is 10. While Ted and Patch are very well bonded Patch was beginning to find Ted a bit full on.
Ted is so happy to have a good friend who runs as much has he does. I think he thinks all his birthdays have come at once. Patch and myself can just wander around the fields at our own pace while the doodles dash about and behave like doodles should . Its been a win- win situation for us all.
Good luck whatever you decide.
Ted doodle