Advice on crating and getting puppy to settle in please

If you would like to, we invite you to post a short introduction about yourself and your interest in Labradoodles.
sherrilo

Advice on crating and getting puppy to settle in please

Post by sherrilo » 25 Feb 2015, 16:45

We wanted to get this right never having crated our dog before, but in the last four weeks we have had very little sleep and our 13 week old puppy barks and squeaks for most of every night.
His crate is in the kitchen, covered, wit a ticking clock, a snuggle safe, a plug in and an adaptil collar. This was his breeders first litter, so no help from there. Our vet said just grit your teeth and get on with it!
He has treats hidden in different places during the day, and we settle him in some time between 10.20_11 ish after a wee and poo. Sometimes he goes straight to sleep for a couple of hours and the barks the rest of the night, sometimes he won't settle and squeaks on and off the whole night.
If I come in, I don't talk or look at him, but nothing seems to make a difference. We thought he would realise by now that he is not going to get attention.
Has anyone else had the same problem or some practical advice or tips? A friend said try chamomile tea
Would be grateful to hear anything, our teenagers are looking like ghosts now!

Samdunn

Re: Advice on crating and getting puppy to settle in please

Post by Samdunn » 25 Feb 2015, 19:36

Hi
We had a similar issue with our dog Sam. We spent a month with an open crate attached to a pen and every night Sam would climb out the pen and bark all night. After 3 weeks or so of this we tried the close crate at night and I would sit near him for 10 mins or so when first in. This stopped the night time shenanigans and as was a bit older it also coincided with him with him being clean and dry. He would wake at 5 or 6 but gradually this became 7 and then 8 and was a lot better than his first few weeks when he barked pee'd and poo'd all night.

Bid

Post by Bid » 25 Feb 2015, 19:47

Have you thought of having the crate upstairs with you? It needn't be a permanent thing, just while he settles in and gets to know that you are still there. At least if it helps him settle you can all geht some proper sleep, and then gradually move the crate further away until he is back downstairs again.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

donkeydoodlelulu

Post by donkeydoodlelulu » 25 Feb 2015, 19:58

I think it depends on your puppy. Lulu was hopeless at first - a real baby who would cry all night if left so I moved her crate upstairs next to my bed and put my fingers through the crate to sooth her every time she cried. It was hard work but I was determined I wanted her crate trained. Then I bought a second hand crate off gumtree for £10 so I had 2. One day when she was about 4 months she just fell fast asleep at night in the one downstairs and that was it.

Our new puppy Bella settled in her crate from the first night- however she is next to the radiator inbetween two doodles so maybe she feels safe.

I think you have to do what works for you - they are only babies for a while and just because they start off next to your bed doesn't mean its permanent.n
Alison, Lulu and Woody x

sherrilo

Post by sherrilo » 26 Feb 2015, 08:48

Thanks for the helpful tips, I tried sitting with him for half an hour in the dark while he squeaked and although he didn't settle properly he was quiet until 5.30 so a bonus. I didn't sleep waiting for jhim but maybe tonight we can repeat the experience!! We would have mput him upstairs but don't have room. Again thanks

Sandy B

Post by Sandy B » 26 Feb 2015, 10:56

Hi
We crated Dolly from the 1st day we got her and as I posted previously ,it was awful to start. She cried/barked/whined for 13 whole nights :( Who said puppies needed up to 20 hours sleep a day?? Anyway I didnt give in and the 14th night she didnt make a sound and hasnt since. We got her at 8 weeks she cried till 10 and now at 13 weeks no sound until about 6 in the morning. Crating is a personal thing I think. When my friend got her labrador a few yrs back I didnt know people even put a dog in a crate and I must admit I thought it was a bit mean but of course I know differently now. Its ideal for when the pup is not fully house trained and still needs a wee through the night. The wee is confined to one half of the crate where the pad is. Though Dolly is a bit gross it weeing on it and then ripping it to shreds! Have bought a bigger crate now as she has grown very quickly and there is some strange behaviour going on but I will save that for a different post. Good luck with it and let s know how you are getting on.
Love
Sandra x

Sarahdol75

Post by Sarahdol75 » 26 Feb 2015, 21:34

Harley is now 1 and still in his crate, he is very happy in it at night, we say bedtime and he trots off to it and get comfy, never uses it during the day to sleep though, quite happy with the sofa or kitchen floor if im in kitchen.
ImageImage

Pollydoodle

Post by Pollydoodle » 26 Feb 2015, 23:52

If he goes to sleep for afew hours and then wakes,do perhaps try taking him out for a quick wee (no playing etc) and then straight back to bed.
If u can't fit the crate next to your bed and you are going to stay up try snoozing on the sofa and have the crate next to you,this way you can merely stick your fingers though the side of the crate when he stirs to reassure him,if u lucky he will ho back to sleep or settle. Some pups just don't do crates ,we had one that screamed,we succumbed first night and stuck hjm in the corner of the room and that was it,we all slept.
Good luck however you decide to handle it.

Bid

Post by Bid » 27 Feb 2015, 08:43

I must admit to never using a crate. I tried with Daisy but she screamed and screamed every night so we got rid of it and she was fine. I put that down to there being another dog in the room and she wanted to snuggle up to him. Beam and Pops both had a puppy pen with a toilet area, a bed, water etc. and were fine. The pen was mainly to stop the pup from pestering the older dogs. Beam was the quickest pup to house train so I don't think it did any harm in that respect. Of course having another dog there for company and to show them the ropes made a huge difference in our case.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

jasperaliceuk

Post by jasperaliceuk » 28 Feb 2015, 11:10

Feed in crate - that's how we started with Milo as a pup - then gradually move bowl outside - just to make them see crate as good place. No door shutting until they are comfortable with being inside and then just start with very small increases of time - always rewards for being calm in crate or for going in byself.

This article explains the steps for acclimatisation very well.

http://canineconcepts.co.uk/en/blog/3-d ... -important

I haven't used a crate in about 3 years but it is out of the garage and Milo is currently snoring in it as he had an op on Monday. I'm actually quite incredulous that he is seeing it as his comfy space and by choice just goes in when he wants to rest - so it is an invaluable bit of training as you never know when you will need it again, let alone being crated at a vet.

Sue

Check out Milo's tricks on http://www.youtube.com/jasperaliceuk

Pollydoodle

Post by Pollydoodle » 28 Feb 2015, 23:52

Sue,hope Milo recovers quickly and the op was not something major!

jasperaliceuk

Post by jasperaliceuk » 01 Mar 2015, 19:25

Oh no - not major - he had a lump removed from his breastbone area on 12th Feb which turned out to be just a fatty lump. However..... he licked the area (probably because he got razor burn - poor nurse was mortified and so apologetic) and pulled it apart a little but, typically on a weekend but vet kindly let me send a photo and decided to see if it would knit together. However...again... he wrecked it by jumping the baby gate to get at the cat food and the hole got bigger. Was given another five days but the hole just wouldn't heal and they decided to reoperate this past Monday. He's sutured up like a trussed chicken now with 5 external stitches. Out this Thursday - he's been so good - after all the initial crying for a couple of days after the anaesthetic but its a long haul with no walks!

Sue

Check out Milo's tricks on http://www.youtube.com/jasperaliceuk