If you would like to, we invite you to post a short introduction about yourself and your interest in Labradoodles.
Littlewam

Post by Littlewam » 19 Apr 2015, 19:39

Hello.
I live in Devon and I'm picking up my new pup on Wednesday this week . It's a long time since I brought up a puppy and this site will be so useful and reassuring. Cassie is just over 8 weeks old and although I can't wait to have her home, it's a bit daunting settling her in. I look forward to sharing the ups and downs and picking experienced brains. Wish me luck.

dexysback

Re: New member

Post by dexysback » 19 Apr 2015, 20:21

Good luck with your new pup enjoy.
ImageImage

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 19 Apr 2015, 22:57

Hi Littlewan,
Welcome to the forum! How exciting, waiting for your new pup... You do know that you're going to be pestered for photos, don't you?? :lol: :oops: :lol:
I would advise catching up on your sleep - just in case... My second pup slept through from the start, but my first woke me in the night for weeks! :shock: Oh, and check out the best insurance you can afford before you take her for her first vets visit.
Looking forward to seeing Cassie and hearing about her exploits!
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

swardie

Post by swardie » 20 Apr 2015, 11:26

Hello and welcome, Littlewan. It's such a lovely feeling waiting for the day that your puppy comes home! Then the reality sets in !! Hahaha, only joking! Looking forward to seeing Cassie, and please let us know how you're getting on.

Best wishes, Sandie ( mum) and Dex Dood x

Glenda

Post by Glenda » 20 Apr 2015, 21:26

Hi and welcome :D :D

I'll be the first to pester you... don't forget the photo's!! :wink: :lol:
ImageImage

ImageImage

Pollydoodle

Post by Pollydoodle » 20 Apr 2015, 23:07

Hello and welcome.
We're in Devon too & there are a few more of us dotted about. Make sure you have a nice rest tomorrow, feet up 8) From Wednesday you will definitely be running around with the the pup. :D
Useful book, I found was Perfect Puppy by Gwen Bailey and online you can find Ian Dunbar has put out some good articles.

Have fun and take loads of photos as they grow sooo quickly.

Pollydoodle

Post by Pollydoodle » 22 Apr 2015, 23:26

Hi, hope you got your Cassie today ? 8)
Hope first nights go well for you both

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 23 Apr 2015, 08:33

good luck and in case Cassie is a woodwork chewer (not sure if you are crating her or not) citronella is the thing to buy

looking forward to photos - you made a right choice
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

HenrytheTux

Post by HenrytheTux » 23 Apr 2015, 14:35

How exciting - the very best of luck!
We picked up Henry at 16 weeks and it was quite a revelation (my last dog was about 7 months when he took him on). Puppies are gorgeous but definitely keep you busy :wink:

The best books I can recommend are: How to Train a Superpup by Gwen Bailey (our breeder recommended this one) and my personal favourite, Puppy Bible Week by Week. I just like reading up each week on what to expect - it's been pretty spot on so far!

Something we decided to do and (are now fanatical about) is making our own feeding/toileting chart. I bought a cheap whiteboard from WHSmith and wrote the days of the week down it and food/toileting across. We mark in whenever Henry toilets (which type too) and when he eats. Doing this has been really useful as we know how long between toileting (therefore when to take him out to avoid any accidents inside) and how this correlates to eating. It's been a lifesaver, especially as my partner and I are sometimes in the house at different times.

Also, crate training is fantastic. Henry wasn't convinced when he first saw it but now looks forward to going in (he gets excited when we bring out the special sea jerky he's only allowed in it) and sleeps there quite happily. We sometimes put him in for quiet time to remind him to eat - the world is so exciting he quite often forgets!

Looking forward to pics!