Update on Douglas

If you would like to, we invite you to post a short introduction about yourself and your interest in Labradoodles.
Pauline in Brighton

Update on Douglas

Post by Pauline in Brighton » 24 Jun 2015, 13:02

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd give you an update about how Douglas is doing after his two spinal strokes, especially to those who were so kind in their comments and good wishes. Douglas has been home for three weeks now and his progress has been slow, but steady, which is why I haven't posted before now, as there's not been much to say. There have been times when we've felt despondent, but then he'll make some small improvement, which cheers us all up and on we go! The problem is that he's been such a cheerful chap who loves being out and about, so it's been really hard for him to be so confined. He started on physiotherapy, then hydrotherapy, then today he's been on a water treadmill for the first time. The hydro in particular seems to be doing him the power of good and I wish I knew how to upload a video of his first session, as it was so amazing to see him moving. This week he's put on a bit of a spurt, first sitting on his own, then getting to standing and even taking a few steps unsupported.

Today he was out in the country for the first time. It was wonderful to see his tail wagging and him sniffing the air.

So onwards and upwards, hopefully. Thank you for your good wishes and please could you send positive thoughts or whatever that this is the end of it. By the way, when talking to the physio and the hydrotherapist, they are currently treating a number of labradoodles with fce.

Poll xx

casa42

Re: Update on Douglas

Post by casa42 » 24 Jun 2015, 14:38

Fantastic news - hope Douglas continues to improve :D
Cate and Coco

jackieholmes19

Post by jackieholmes19 » 24 Jun 2015, 16:14

Amazing! Well done Douglas - onwards and upwards now :D
Jackie & Bella
Xxx

dexysback

Post by dexysback » 24 Jun 2015, 18:51

So glad he is getting better, it must be heart-breaking poor boy.
ImageImage

Lexi

Post by Lexi » 24 Jun 2015, 19:27

Such good news to hear that Douglas is on the mend. Sending positive and healing vibes to you all x

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 24 Jun 2015, 23:30

Hooray for Douglas! So pleased to hear this.

Did you think they think it is something labradoodles are prone to?
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

linny

Post by linny » 25 Jun 2015, 11:38

:D Such good news :D ...really pleased to hear that Douglas continues to make steady progress.
Years back our old Border terrier Snew had a normal stroke (and quite a serious one) but we worked hard on his physio and took him swimming regularly (no hydro pools in those days) and he made a reasonably good recovery....enough to give him quality of life .
He went on to live just a couple of weeks short of his 19th birthday :!:
Positive vibes heading straight to Douglas :)

Molmil

Post by Molmil » 25 Jun 2015, 19:25

Lovely to hear he's making progress. Slow and steady. Lots of positive thoughts to all of you.

Lesly, Molly and Rosa x

Glenda

Post by Glenda » 25 Jun 2015, 21:23

Aww... I am so pleased to hear that your lovely boy is progressing Poll - as you say, onwards and upwards!

Sending healing thoughts to Douglas and hugs to you xx
ImageImage

ImageImage

Pollydoodle

Post by Pollydoodle » 25 Jun 2015, 22:08

Steady progress Douglas doodle, lovely to read you have a waggy tail :D
Sending all good thoughts your way!
Poll,keep going as it must be tough to watch him.Stay positive, on reflection sounds like huge progress to me
Mx

Sarahdol75

Post by Sarahdol75 » 25 Jun 2015, 22:29

Oh that good to hear, sending more positive thoughts your way.
ImageImage

Pauline in Brighton

Post by Pauline in Brighton » 28 Jun 2015, 17:41

Hi, sorry we've been away to a place with hardly any signal.

Liz asked with reference to spinal strokes or fibrocartilaginous embolism (fce): Did you think they think it is something labradoodles are prone to?

I don't think so necessarily. What I've read indicates that they mostly seem to affect large dogs between 3 and 6 years old, but there also seem to be a lot of exceptions to that, including on this forum. It was just that I was surprised how few people were familiar with these, including our vet and the nurses at the practice. So I was interested to hear from both the hydrotherapist and the physio that both were currently treating labradoodles.

Thank you once again for all your kind wishes and positive thoughts.

Bren

Post by Bren » 28 Jun 2015, 22:05

Oh I am so pleased. Well done Douglas. Our Thoughts are with your family and Douglas.
As we say onwards and upwards. xx

Bee Ziggy and Bowie

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 29 Jun 2015, 16:54

Thanks for that clarifying info. Pauline!
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 29 Jun 2015, 19:35

All best wishes and positive thoughts for you and for Douglas...
Hydro and physio are so beneficial... Being able to exercise without having to carry weight will be so good for your dood. I know how much it has done for Ianto - Douglas will also need to rebuild his muscles and this will be brilliant for him.
Love and doodle kisses,
Anne, Ianto & Wyre xx