New puppy blues

If you would like to, we invite you to post a short introduction about yourself and your interest in Labradoodles.
Gilbs

New puppy blues

Post by Gilbs » 13 Feb 2016, 11:38

Hi
We picked up our gorgeous labradoodle puppy Barkley a week ago today. He is a lovely puppy. A bit of a handful but that's puppies! Barkley is our third puppy. Previously, we had a Springer Spaniel who passed away aged 7 followed by an English Setter who passed away last year at the age of 9 . Trouble is we had a really bad experience with a rescue Dog last year who had extreme separation anxiety and we had to re-home him after 4 months of trying to help him. He couldn't be crated and was very destructive. For Dog lovers like us this was very upsetting. I hadn't realised how much this affected me. I am now so scared of the same thing happening for Barkley that I am suffering panic attacks, not eating etc. Barkley has a crate and a play pen. The thought of beginning to shut the door on the crate is filling me with dread. With our previous puppies I didn't even think about separation anxiety. They were just put in their crates and got on with it. There is so much information on the internet that it's confusing. I even have a behaviourist and that's confused me and made me even more anxious. Anyone been through something similar? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.

suzi23173

Re: New puppy blues

Post by suzi23173 » 13 Feb 2016, 12:07

Poor you- do you have to shut the door?
I had a crate and a pen but I never shut her in except when I mopped the floor and she would hang on it for a ride!
Crating works for some people but its not for everyone or every dog and its certainly not essential.
When I got my pup I bought a crate because it seemed everything you read said you must crate your puppy, it makes life easier, its better for house training etc.
I could not bring myself to shut her in it- it wasn't for me.
If you have a pen then your pup is safe and contained. I know you will still have to leave it alone but you are so sensitive to the need to get it right you will, I'm sure, do all the right things. The going out and in again quickly, making sure you don't make a fuss on returning and leaving. Chucking in a hand full of frozen peas or treats or giving a kong or a box to destroy when you go. Its just a question of letting him know that when you go, you always come back and its good when you go because you'll distract him with a treat.
There's no reason it should go wrong as you are so aware and your rescue dog only had a problem because no one gave him the love and care that you are going to give this pup.
Deep breath- you can do it!
Love,
Suzi and Tess.
xxx

Jay128

Post by Jay128 » 13 Feb 2016, 19:32

It's so easy to stress over our beautiful doodles when they join us. We chose to crate Poppy at first and still do in the car, she likes mud and my car doesn't! We never had a problem leaving her as with the previous advice we treated her when we left her and we also built up the time we left her, even if I was just going upstairs and leaving her for minutes. The only trouble is she' now three and a half and still wants a treat! Cheeky doodle. Poppies crate became her safe place, the boys were told never to disturb her when she was asleep and she sometimes chose her crate over her many other beds around the house.
After your experience with your previous dog you are bound to worry but this time you are starting with w new canvas not a rescue with issues. Try to remember how positive it was with your other dogs and how good you were at training them.
You can do this. :D
ImageImage

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 13 Feb 2016, 21:05

Hi Gilbs, Welcome to the forum!
I'm so sorry to hear about the problems you had with your previous dog - we had a very bad experience with a rescue before we got our first doodle puppy. I had said before that, I would never have another puppy as there were so many dogs in rescue waiting for homes....
I needed to put my pup in a playpen... I knew he was safe in there overnight or when I went out. I would crate him when he needed a nap - and so did I - in the front room... :) It helped as I had to use the crate in the car when I took him out and about.
When he injured himself, he was already used to being restricted, so I believe that his 'crate-training' was helpful for that too.
As has been suggested, you don't have to close the door. My old rescue dog (not the one we had problems with) used his as an Aladdin's Cave - if anything went missing, we just had to look in there! I cover them over with blankets to make it more of a 'den'.
Something I learned at training classes was to say, "Away, ...to bed!" The new pup in particular has picked up on this - he dashes to his crate and lies down in it, waiting for his treat! It's helping with our 'Away!' command... (two birds, one stone! :D )
Your new pup is a tabula rasa... he doesn't know about your previous dog's problems, he will just accept whatever happens to him as 'normal'. I know it's easy for me to say, 'Try not to worry'... but you know that your other dogs were fine; as Jay and suzi have already said, little Barkley has come to you with no 'issues' - Good Luck!
Erm, any chance of a photo or two....? :oops: We love our puppy pics here! :lol:
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

Bid

Post by Bid » 13 Feb 2016, 22:38

Hi there - you are not alone! I remember each time I get a puppy thinking how hard it it! The thing is you are tired most of the time which doesn't help.

I don't crate mine, because I always have a older dog in the room, which seems to make crating harder. I do use a pen when they are tiny to protect my house though. The other thing I don't do is set the alarm and get up in the night. I do get up if the puppy cries, but not to take it out at set times - it probably makes the housetraining slower, but I can live with that if I get my sleep, because lack of sleep makes me get everything out of proportion.

I don't know if this helps, but your pup is more likely to suffer from separation anxiety if you dont get him used to being left alone early, so there really is no need to worry about causing it by shutting the door or leaving him - you will actually be helping prevent it.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

dexysback

Post by dexysback » 14 Feb 2016, 10:50

I too suffer from panic attacks and they are horrid ,my dog is nearly six and hes been fine from pup never crated but i have been at home with him ,i suffer when taking him outside in case anything kicks off ,but i know dogs can feel your tension ,because when my partner takes him out he is so relaxed and is perfect on walks ,apart from muddy puddles .So i would just try and relax and enjoy your pup and he will be fine.
ImageImage

Gilbs

Post by Gilbs » 15 Feb 2016, 22:24

Sorry for the delay in responding. Thank you everyone for your support. Today was a bit better. Barkley is a good boy he's been sleeping through the night on his own downstairs since day 5 with no trouble and he's so sweet. I have left him on his own when i've gone out for a bit and I know he has a whinge when I leave and this worries me. Have i left him too soon or not enough? Oh the joys....

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 15 Feb 2016, 23:44

Oh, the joys are just beginning, believe me! :lol: Wait until the 'cloth ears' stage sets in..... :roll:

It sounds as if your little lad is settling in well. I wouldn't worry too much about leaving him, I was so concerned about leaving the puppy Ianto that I fear I molly-coddled him and then had to get him used to me leaving him in the kitchen whilst I was in the front room for a while... :oops: before building up to going out.

Our second little dood 'sings' occasionally when we leave him (a bit spine-chilling sometimes! :shock: ) But I do know that he doesn't keep it up - and is peacefully snoozing in his pen when we return... They are clever little souls, our doodles, and will happily twist you around their tiny dew-claws without a second thought! :wink:

Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

Gilbs

Post by Gilbs » 21 Apr 2016, 20:03

***Update***
I ❤ Barkley! He's 19 weeks now. No issues with separation anxiety. He's used to our comings and goings. We leave him in his crate (door open) and play pen with a kong stuffed with goodies and he's good as gold. He's a star pupil at his training class! The only issue we have is with jumping and biting. My arms are shredded. Have been reading lots of posts here about this. Lots of good tips. He's definitely the mouthiest puppy we've had. Have tried everything. Hoping he will eventually get the message. Will post a pic if I can work out how to do it!

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 21 Apr 2016, 21:14

So pleased to hear this, Gilbs! A bad experience can knock your confidence, but you knew that you understood dogs... Little Barkley has been sent to heal your soul, and prove that you are an excellent doggy 'parent'! :D
Lots of new adventures to look forward to...! I use Photobucket for photos (although it is a bit of a faff... :( ) There is a guide in General Discussion, which is a little out of date, but does point you in the right direction...
Looking forward to seeing piccies of the little one -
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 23 Apr 2016, 20:59

Phew. Thank goodness you worked through it and love him now.

Im sure I can see you working through the mouthing as for the jumping I am still working on it and her mouthing stopped and I didn't even notice
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

Debby

Post by Debby » 24 Apr 2016, 23:48

Sounds like Barkley is doing really well
With Willow to help with her need to chew I would give her a pizzle to distract /occupy her
She also has a wide variety of those that I alternate which helps
Good luck