Sensitive itchy skin - any food recommendations please?

Use this section to discuss pros and cons of variuous feeding regimes and other matters relating to nutrition
Rowan11

Sensitive itchy skin - any food recommendations please?

Post by Rowan11 » 26 Aug 2019, 15:49

Hello,
First post in many years but i’m hoping for some advice/tips.

Luna is 8 now and has always had hot/sometimes itchy ears.
Whenever I’ve taken her to the vet they always say her ears look fine inside but something clearly bothers her and I’m now looking at food alternatives.

She is currently on Simpsons sensitive grain free (the fish ones is best for her). But I'm wondering if I could improve the food and hopefully improve her itchy skin.

She has definitely got worse this year, rubs herself along the floor and does some head shaking too.
The vet looked in her ears again last week and said they looked fine but because they were hot and red he gave us some ear drops. But that isn’t helping her long term...

I’ve looked into food a little bit and have read that the fewer ingredients, the better.
And that egg can be a trigger for sensitive dogs.
Simpsons has dried egg in it so want to try a different food.

I see from a previous post that some of you like Millies Wolfheart (their fish one doesn’t have egg).

Oh and I've started putting coconut oil in her food to see if that helps.

Does anyone have any advice or recommendations?
Thank you in advance - any help is appreciated.

Dawn & Luna
Dawn & Luna x

suzi23173

Re: Sensitive itchy skin - any food recommendations please?

Post by suzi23173 » 26 Aug 2019, 19:58

Hi,
I haven’t been in here for ages either but look in occasionally.
I haven’t got much to add about diet but I use a brilliant powder called ‘ear solv’. The web site is a bit dramatic and you think it sounds like a con but it isn’t. It does what they claim.
One pot has lasted me years so I am assuming you can still buy it.
It is brilliant stuff. Tess gets itchy brown waxy ears sometimes, although not hot. It always clears it up. Make sure you puff it in rather than allow a lump of it to block the ear.
Have a look at their blurb and see if it sounds right for her.
Lots of love to anyone who remembers us.
It is sad that the site is so little used but everyone disappeared on to Facebook and it got hard to put photos on. I miss it.
Best wishes to you all. Xx
Love,
Suzi and Tess.
xxx

Rowan11

Post by Rowan11 » 26 Aug 2019, 21:01

Hi Suzi,
Thank you so much for your reply - I appreciate that and i will look into the powder for luna.

Yes i see the site isn't used now like it used to be. That’s a real shame - i got invaluable advice from people on here when i first got luna.
Im not on facebook - can’t be bothered with all the crap that comes with it.

Thanks again,
Dawn.
Dawn & Luna x

suzi23173

Post by suzi23173 » 27 Aug 2019, 14:15

You’re welcome. I can’t stand Facebook.
I hope you have some luck with the diet. Maybe going back to basics and starting with just one ingredient like say, chicken or turkey meat and adding more things in would be the way to go. In the meantime the ear solv might help with the symptoms.
Good luck- I hope you get some relief for her. Xx
Love,
Suzi and Tess.
xxx

We5Kings

Post by We5Kings » 27 Aug 2019, 14:20

Hello, Dude is 6 now and for the past 4 years I've been using CleanAural in his ears. You squirt a bit in, once a week, and then, after they shake their head, wipe with a cotton pad. Really easy. And since doing this Dude hasn't had any ear problems at all. Prior to this he used to get itchy gunky ears and often needed antibiotics.
Re food, we've been on raw for many years now. I got so much advice on this site about how to deal with Dudes upset tummy issues. As soon as we stopped using Kibble he was "cured"!
I too love this site and do not use Facebook. I was so sad to read over the weekend that Linny feels it's time to give up. Anny x

Rowan11

Post by Rowan11 » 27 Aug 2019, 17:44

Thank you - i will look into this one too and decide which one to try first!

Unfortunately Luna is allergic to chicken and rice! She’s an awkward customer! :roll:

I also tried her on raw but her stomach just couldn't handle it.

I’m going to try and make an effort to look in on this site at least once a week. After all, i’m really grateful for your help - you never know when someone might need it :)
Dawn & Luna x