Coconut Oil

Use this section to discuss pros and cons of variuous feeding regimes and other matters relating to nutrition
wobble.gob

Coconut Oil

Post by wobble.gob » 25 Apr 2014, 18:34

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of adding coconut oil to Ozzy's diet after reading about of the positive effects it has (I may even try it myself!)

Does anyone else give their doods coconut oil? Ozzy LOVES it and will it it off a spoon, it's just I'm not sure how much to give him and how often?

Debs and Ozzy xxx

beeeerock

Re: Coconut Oil

Post by beeeerock » 25 Apr 2014, 18:42

We do. Bodhi gets a blob of it on a teaspoon when we think about it. Sometimes that's daily, other times not. It doesn't seem to impact what comes out the other end thankfully...

Bid

Post by Bid » 26 Apr 2014, 21:13

Mine all get a teaspoon every 2 or three days too - I add it to their food and it always gets devoured :D
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 26 Apr 2014, 23:59

It tastes quite sweet.

It doesn't have any bad effects on us - it is the only oil that does not hydrogenate and therefore is the only safe oil to cook with.

I haven't thought of giving it to Lola though - why would I? Do tell!
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

Bid

Post by Bid » 27 Apr 2014, 08:11

I started feeding it on my vets advice when Daisy was on a rabbit-only diet, as rabbit is very lean and dogs need fat for energy. I found her coat improved so much, as well as her general sense of well-being that I continued. I am also using it on her elbows which are starting to develop calluses. THis give some info on it ... http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/th ... conut-oil/
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Helen & Rigby

Post by Helen & Rigby » 27 Apr 2014, 09:50

Is there a particular one, and where do you buy it? Would be this be as well a salmon oil?
ImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 27 Apr 2014, 10:46

It has to be the organic virgin stuff - I get it from Tescos - the groovy food brand one, but I expect you can get it from health food shops etc. I give it 3 times a week and don't feed fish oil on those days so as not to overload them with fat. (I've recently discussed Daisy's fat intake with the vet so I'm pretty sure this level isn't excessive.)
www.dogtrekker.co.uk

Helen & Rigby

Post by Helen & Rigby » 27 Apr 2014, 20:10

Ah, I've never been able to find it in there! Do you still give the vit e 3x a week? I'll stop asking questions now :D
ImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 27 Apr 2014, 20:51

I do :D
www.dogtrekker.co.uk

Helen & Rigby

Post by Helen & Rigby » 27 Apr 2014, 21:37

Thanks Bid :D
ImageImage

ClareV

Post by ClareV » 27 Apr 2014, 22:06

Apparently if you have a Costco account you can buy it much cheaper... I get mine from Holland and Barrett when they have a BOGOF1pence!! One tsp a day when I remember. V good for their skin condition, topically and if you feed it to them.

wobble.gob

Post by wobble.gob » 28 Apr 2014, 09:57

Yes I got mine from Holland & Barratt - I also got some coconut oil shampoo and conditioner for me and it's so nice!!

Ozzy to eat it off the spoon, I am gradually introducing it to him - I can't wait to see the benefits of it.

Niandsa

Post by Niandsa » 28 Apr 2014, 10:54

I recently bought 3 jars from Amazon. No idea how it compares pricewise with other places though.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006 ... UTF8&psc=1

I have tried cooking with it but it tastes strongly of sweet coconut and doesn't add anything to most dishes I cook. :( You can get a tasteless version but it loses most of it's health benefits. The dogs however love it added to their dinner and always eat it first before any of the meat! :D
ImageImage
Poppy and Rosie

Lara and Shaun

Post by Lara and Shaun » 28 Apr 2014, 18:34

Hi Bid how long before you noticed a difference? I have one itchy dood at the moment all red underneath :-( I want to try something natural before I get chemicals from the vet!!

Bid

Post by Bid » 28 Apr 2014, 22:19

I don't know - I just sort of noticed that she was looking good, and people started to comment on how happy she was.

Do you think your doods itchiness could be a seasonal thing ? Daisy's sister Raggle starts to itch about now and it lasts all summer.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk