Coconut Oil

Use this section to discuss pros and cons of variuous feeding regimes and other matters relating to nutrition
Lara and Shaun

Re: Coconut Oil

Post by Lara and Shaun » 29 Apr 2014, 09:30

I'm not sure as he is only 1 and we got him last August! I may try anti histamine and see if that helps I believe it can be given to dogs?

Bid

Post by Bid » 29 Apr 2014, 11:52

Some you can - definitely piriton is OK (but not piriteze as it has something else in it)
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

stout

Post by stout » 29 Apr 2014, 17:49

Typical, it is one of the many things that came back on stouts intolerances! Might start of trying salmon oil!
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

Florrie!

Post by Florrie! » 01 May 2014, 12:52

I've been giving Florrie a teaspoon of coconut oil on her breakfast for the past 6 months or so. Initially I started her on.it in the hopes that it would improve her skin and coat condition, it hasn't but shes complicated. She has quite a bit of medication in.the mornings so we hide all her tablets in a blob of coconut oil. Its the first thing she eats and she LOVES it! She can't have treats or food other than her own so every now and then as a treat or if shes been good having other meds then we give her a little coconut oil as a special treat! She'd do handstands and all sorts for a bit of coconut oil! Lol

Shes allergic to fish and fish oils so coconut oil was the best alternative. Ive tried putting some on her skin but she just licks it all off so defeats the point of applying it in the first place!

Florrie Lorrie

Helen & Rigby

Post by Helen & Rigby » 01 May 2014, 14:08

I got lucyBees organic virgin coconut oil from sainsburys. Rig loves it! I've just made some banana muffins with it too, nom! :D
ImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 01 May 2014, 15:18

Yummm - love the sound of banana muffins!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Bid

Post by Bid » 04 May 2014, 18:38

Yep - that's the one!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk

willow&kobi

Post by willow&kobi » 04 May 2014, 19:00

coolio, i will put it on my next home delivery :D

merlinthelabradoodle

Post by merlinthelabradoodle » 04 Jun 2014, 22:45

I've been using coconut oil for a while now. I had no idea dogs could benefit from it too!
Merlin is a 5 month old F1 Labradoodle
Follow him on Instagram @ merlinthelabradoodle

Emma_h

Post by Emma_h » 05 Jun 2014, 13:28

I often use coconut oil for cooking - it isn't virgin though (doesn't have the coconut smell), it's refined I think (KTC is the brand). Is there benefits in giving Baxter this or do I need to buy the virgin oil?

xxx
ImageImage
ImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 05 Jun 2014, 21:32

Emma_h wrote:I often use coconut oil for cooking - it isn't virgin though (doesn't have the coconut smell), it's refined I think (KTC is the brand). Is there benefits in giving Baxter this or do I need to buy the virgin oil?

xxx
This is quite informative ...http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/what_ ... ut_oil.htm
www.dogtrekker.co.uk

beeeerock

Post by beeeerock » 06 Jun 2014, 00:47

If it comes out of the jar looking like a white paste and melts to a clear liquid at the temperature of your skin, it's probably what you want. The virgin product on the linked page, in jars, looks like what we've been using. It smells like coconut when used for cooking.

Emma_h

Post by Emma_h » 10 Jun 2014, 16:13

Yep, that's exactly what it comes out like :D

Thanks Bid :D who knew coconut oil was so complex!!

Looks like the KTC stuff I have used for cooking does have health benefits http://veganheath.info/ktc-coconut-oil, but perhaps the virgin oil has more?

xxx
ImageImage
ImageImage