What's a good quality food at a reasonable cost.

Use this section to discuss pros and cons of variuous feeding regimes and other matters relating to nutrition
Maggiedoodle

What's a good quality food at a reasonable cost.

Post by Maggiedoodle » 27 Apr 2014, 21:19

Hello

I am looking for a good quality food for our 6 month old doodle,when we got her she was on BETA but we changed to MORE dog food which she really seems to enjoy but its quiet pricey.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good quality food at all. We've always been told that if you can find it in a supermarket its full of E's and not fantastic food. I know that if i walk into a pet shop that they will give me advice but obviously be trying to make a sale also. I don't want to get a brand that's going to make her hyper and not fill her up, nutrition is important to us. She is not fussy at all with flavours will devour anything! :)

Thanks in advance.

ClareV

Re: What's a good quality food at a reasonable cost.

Post by ClareV » 27 Apr 2014, 21:52

Hi there,

You can google whichdogfood and get reviews on masses of brands of food! Some of us feed kibble and some of us feed raw; you will find information on both on the Internet. BARF is biologically appropriate raw food, or bones and raw food... Not for everyone, but my dog has allergies so is best on that.

If you do go for kibble still, my only piece of advice would be to buy gluten free as gluten can cause issues (mine itches like crazy if he has any).

You will also get a guide according to how much you are able to spend on your dog. I would suggest you buy the best quality food you can reasonably afford. There is another comparison site but for the life of me I cannot remember it!

Best of luck,

Clare and Charlie x

Bid

Post by Bid » 27 Apr 2014, 21:59

The thing to look for is a food that has a named meat as the first ingredient (so beef or lamb etc, but not meat). Meal is fine, but by-products or derivatives isn't. Corn or maize is a poor quality ingredient, brown rice is better, potato is better still. The fewer carbs the better. If you look onhere http://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/the-dog-food-directory you can use the filters to select grain free food, then look at their ratings, and in the detailed description they have a costing which will help you select one that is a good quality and in your price bracket.

Lol - just seen that Clare has posted almost identical information! :lol: :lol:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

ClareV

Post by ClareV » 27 Apr 2014, 22:03

No, Bid... You came up with the site I couldn't remember!! Still blaming the anaesthetic but in truth my memory is just appalling!

Ha ha! Clare x

wobble.gob

Post by wobble.gob » 28 Apr 2014, 09:54

My 11 month doodle is on Burns Sensitive kibble (Pork & Potato) which I put down in the morning for him - he normally likes to have a mouthful now and again throughout the morning. He then has a tablespoon on cottage cheese at lunchtime, and for dinner he has a tray of naturesdiet.

I find this works for us as he enjoys it all, it not too expensive and the food is good quality.

Debs & Ozzy xxx

pickeringma

Post by pickeringma » 28 Apr 2014, 12:36

I have just changed from Arden grange which is a good quality kibble to Natural Instinct which is a BARF See previous reply. (I am actually mixing the two)

My dog has gone from eating a bit of kibble when I first put his bowl down, and then revisiting the food at intervals, to sprinting to his bowl wagging his tail furiously, sitting down at the expected location of said bowl and literally scoffing the lot in about a minute. The difference is so marked it is astounding.

I worked out that for the recommended amounts of Arden Grange or Natural Instinct, the difference in price was around 4p a day. This equates to approx. £50 per year. As I am mixing the two, this brings this down even further but either way, I see this as money well spent.

My local pet shop owners who are really not very pushy at all said they had had several owners and dog trainers reporting the same. Many had also reported that the dogs were significantly calmer too.

I am a vegetarian and so spooning out this raw meet from the cartons isn't my first choice activity. There a lots of reasons for making other choices too and none of them are wrong. They are just choices.

Hope you find something you and your dog are really happy with.

Miles

Glenda

Post by Glenda » 28 Apr 2014, 20:56

Mine are fed Orijen and I have to buy it online as there is not a stockist anywhere near us, so if (on the odd occasion) I run out before it's delivered I buy Barking Heads from our local pet shop. They now do a grain free range and imo it's very good. The dogs enjoy eating it and there are no adverse effects with swapping their food for a day or two!

Incidentally I have noticed, whilst in the pet shop (Pampurred Pets) that they are stocking more and more grain free dog and cat foods - this has got to be a good move! :D :D
ImageImage

ImageImage

briansangel

Post by briansangel » 29 Apr 2014, 03:22

Poppy is on Country Hunter raw food Nuggets with all the veg fruit and vitamins she needs included in it so no need to worry,, her fav is Duck and Plum tho she likes all the different flavours she never turns her nose up at it anyway she appears to have a reaction to chicken and this product is chicken free plus gluten and grain free she loves it and its easy to feed as you just take the amount of nuggets out of freezer and the defrost in no time. she also has goats yogurt a couple of times a week plus oily fish and raw meaty bones from our butcher.. she seems to happy and healthy xxx
ImageImage

Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom » 29 Apr 2014, 17:08

I just switched my dogs to diamond chicken and sweet potato grain free. According to the dogfood review on line it has the aame rating blue buffalo and is a third the price. I dont know if you have it in the uk but here in canada its the dog food for me
I'm on a disability pention so I can't afford the big expensive name dogfoods if I can find something equivalent for less money I will it has all the rasberrys bluberrys fish oils and veggies no grains at all sweet potato instead of rice. And chicken is the first ingreadient. And the dogs love it. So its the one for me.

stout

Post by stout » 29 Apr 2014, 17:55

Stout was on natural instinct. He is currently being weaned of ridiculously expensive gold plated vet food (£80 for 2 weeks :shock: ). We found it cheaper on zooplus, so if you decide on anything but raw it might be worth seeing if you can get it cheaper with them, they seem to have lots of the foods that score well on the rating websites.
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

Oscar2011

Post by Oscar2011 » 29 Apr 2014, 18:16

But nothing really compares to Oscar's see food diet. :)

Oscar & hoomans.

Mens sana in corpore sano.

Crazy flying dog,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n5aKvfznuQ

Life of a Labradoodle,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWFkOb39sv4

Bid

Post by Bid » 29 Apr 2014, 21:25

I feed raw food, but since we now have the kitchen food waste recycling bin it seems Beamish has been getting his own supplements! I only discovered this today, when Pete pointed out that he has been snaffling some old chilli that Pete had put in the bin - I await the results with interest!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Benben

Post by Benben » 01 May 2014, 13:35

Bid wrote:I feed raw food, but since we now have the kitchen food waste recycling bin it seems Beamish has been getting his own supplements! I only discovered this today, when Pete pointed out that he has been snaffling some old chilli that Pete had put in the bin - I await the results with interest!
Oh ooops....!

Ursa is on Simpsons dry kibble Premium which is 80% meat and fish and 20% veg with no grain. I found it using the website Bid names - it's equally rated with some very expensive and highly recommended kibbles and it's about 2/3 of the cost so suits me. She also gets a tray of NatureDiet wet puppy food split into two feeds.

I did try raw, but actually she wasn't that enthusiastic. I had her on the frozen nuggets which she did like, but experiments with some of the other frozen raw products haven't been well received. She does love chewing on a marrow bone knee joint though!
Ursa: born 28.10.13

ImageImage

dexysback

Post by dexysback » 01 May 2014, 18:33

WE feed dexter wagg its around 20pound a 17k bag ,he had more expencive food when he was younger ,but since my patners lost hes job he as been on this ,pluse my daughters dog was on it .He enjoys it poos are fine and he also as sunday lunch and topers of tin food and tuna and egg and pilchards and liver some times.
ImageImage

Glenda

Post by Glenda » 01 May 2014, 21:13

Bid wrote:I feed raw food, but since we now have the kitchen food waste recycling bin it seems Beamish has been getting his own supplements! I only discovered this today, when Pete pointed out that he has been snaffling some old chilli that Pete had put in the bin - I await the results with interest!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry Bid but I can't stop giggling at 'Beamish has been getting his own supplements'!
I know Poppy is not a foody but surely Daisy is in on it too?
ImageImage

ImageImage