including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 14 Aug 2018, 22:27

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Health Tested Standard poodle Studs
PostPosted: 25 Feb 2013, 10:39 

Please view my website for health tested standard poodle studs.
All my dogs live in the home and are my pets.
www.Argentcymrustandardpoodles.com

Post subject: Re: Health Tested Standard poodle Studs
PostPosted: 25 Feb 2013, 12:50 

Jane,
Had a quick peek at your site. My oh my what beautiful looking boys and girls.
Sarah and Carter

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2013, 13:58 

Thank you xxx

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2013, 18:12 

Hi Jane.
Where are the SA results from your dogs please? I think i've looked in the right place on your site.
Cheers.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2013, 20:16 

Hi your dogs look fabulous. I would be very tempted to have a standard poodle next time round (this wouldn't be for a long time though, my doodle's only three and is destined to be an only dog). Loved the photos. :)

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2013, 17:54 

I have found the following on your site Jane, thought April Fool was a month away.

I do not at this time SA test....when a DNA test becomes available I will do so. My reasons for testing is not only based on.the biopsy being invasive, but that the results are inconclusive and can also be misdiagnosed. In the meantime I prefer to use my senses..my eyes and sense of smell.And of course, use the Poodle Health Registry

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2013, 14:57 

quite right....nothing wrong with your calender
why not post your opinion, experiences and pass on your knowledge re SA

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2013, 19:31 

I have looked up SA now but i have a stud dog (not poodle but part poodle) and didnt even know that much about SA.

What i am trying to say is stop prioritising health tests before everything else!!!!

The doodle gene pool will become like the pedigree dog gene pool and strangulated with so few fully tested all singing and dancing doods that we will forget the MOST important thing

Temperament!!!!!!

In the doodle world we need lots of studs that are fully health tested but at the moment there are simply not enough! If we are not careful we will be breeding dogs that are related soon for their nice faces, or they will be bred for the number on their hip score for instance the stud that achieves 0.0 will get used again and again and again as they did in the pedigree world!

Do we really want to go down that path?

I do agree that all studs should have health tests, mine do, but as a breeder i do wonder where it will all end?

Oh and dont jump down people's throats with sarcastic comments when they dont appear to have everything - keep the forum friendly please - i have re written this a few times and read it through before i posted! I know it is controversial breeding always is! but things should be kept in perspective.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2013, 19:39 

michala wrote:
What i am trying to say is stop prioritising health tests before everything else!!!! .

That's easy to say until you have a dog with a health problem that is genetic - then it becomes all important!

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2013, 19:40 

i just looked on the website and see that they conform to all our major testing requirements on the labradoodle site. IN addition the dogs look amazing! From a fellow stud dog owner who thinks more stud dogs in the doodle world is a good thing!

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2013, 20:15 

To answer you Bid we have a cockerpoo in the family that has cocker rage created possibly by breeders who inbred, and i bred a dalmatian who had a terrible eye disease entropian that was hereditary. Even now 18 years later the BVA eye test does not cover this hereditary condition nor many others - this quote is from the BVA site even though tested for PRA etc "it was clear the dog could still be suffering from entropion/ectropion/diamond eye etc" ! - I suppose our experiences shape our beliefs and therefore Bid we have slightly differing experiences and slightly differing thoughts on the subject. Health testing is not a sign of clean health and there are a plethora of diseases that cannot be tested for. In addition a low hip scored stud dog may have very high mother and father or even, heaven forbid dogs that were never tested. A low score only helps create a picture it does not guarantee a healthy dog, neither does it guarantee a good temperament.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2013, 20:30 

I am well aware that health testing gives no guarantees, and I am also aware the HD can have a lot of causes - which are not yet fully understood, however I do not think there is any excuse for a breeder not to do all the tests she can to try and ensure that she breeds healthy puppies. If there are more tests that can be added to the CoP on here, then lets talk about adding them. I agree that temperament is also important ( in fact current thinking is that cocker rage doesn't exist as a condition, but is a result of breeding for looks instead of temperament), but not more so, and both are way higher in importance than looks. As for the gene pool - if you can't find suitable health tested poodles and labs, then in my book you either work to persuade the owners of the studs to do the health tests, or you don't breed from them. If you have yourself bred a dog with a hereditary condition in the past, then surely you must want to health test wherever you possibly can to avoid doing that again?

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2013, 22:13 

As a breeder I know first hand how hard it is to find a quality labradoodle stud we can be sure is not related to our girls. It can be such a risky business and it's not just about trusting the owner of the stud but more importantly trusting the breeder of the stud, and the breeder before that. How do we know we're getting 'what it says on the tin'. With people breeding 'just one litter' from their dogs from puppy farmers when they can't be sure of the parentage, when we know paperwork doesn't always add up, we can't always be sure of what we're getting.

It is easier to find a KC registered poodle or labrador. Or is it? Labs yes.... From my experience labrador stud owners are a helpful friendly lot, but try find a quality poodle to either breed from or to. Many would be surprised at the snobbery associated with many poodle stud owners and breeders. This has often meant substandard poodles are available to stud for labradoodles or the gene pool is so small as the better ones we can trust or allowed to use get used over and over. I praise anyone who sticks their neck out there with a quality, health tested poodle and lets us use them to stud labradoodles. Thank you Jane. It was a pleasure to meet your boys who had the most amazing temperaments and I now have super puppies. These anti doodle poodle people need to realise labradoodles rock! They will always be popular! We are not 'dirtying' their line just producing gorgeous dogs! We are not going to beat them in the show ring and nor do we want to. We are raising family pets.

PS I am not knocking other stud owners but don't like to see sarcastic comments aimed at anyone doing a great job.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2013, 23:05 

It's clear that the narrow view of the forum is that a "reputable" should actually be read as "a breeder that we know". It's clear from the website that many tests are done - "fully" tested is subjective as there is no definitive authority (please don't say breed club) to say what is "fully". It's also become the historical response on here (unless you are a "breeder we know") that whatever you test for, they'll be something that the forum think you've missed which then makes you a bead breeder.... if you've been to Tenerife then they'll have to Elevenerife !

In relation to certain conditions being hereditary, again a subjective view. We've had a couple of trips to Noel Fitzpatricks with our dogs (both doods and collies) and the view of things like elbow scoring (viewed as pointless and misleading) and many supposed hereditary conditions is that they simply are not, or there is nothing to positively show they are. (SA being one BTW)

On a positive note, the fact that a poodle breeder (and one that carries out health tests) is on this forum being positive about doodles (instead of just lurking to stir things up or being abusive and calling our dogs "labramongrels" as some of the more infantile of the poodle community do) should be viewed as a good thing.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2013, 23:28 

Hello, and thank you for introducing yourself on the UKLA.
As mentioned in previous posts, it's not often you get a Poodle breeder who is happy with our Labradoodles and is willing to offer their services to the Labradoodle community.

I personally LOVE the standard poodle, and seeing as I have certain allergies, they seemed like the perfect choice for us, but hubby wasn't too keen on taking a Poodle for a walk, so we went with a Labradoodle instead. Having now fallen madly in love with the breed, my favourite dog is now the Labradoodle, closely followed by the Poodle.

I particularly LOVE your girl Layla. She looks like trouble!!!

I do hope to see pictures of some of the litters produced by your handsome dogs, posted on here sometime in the future.