including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 20 Sep 2017, 06:43

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Doodle Seizures
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2017, 15:59 

Hello All Doodlers

A while back I wrote about my lovely Dood having seizures and after much debate with the Vet and a lot of Internet search I came to the conclusion that Topical Flea products were the root cause of his fits.

The Vet was somewhat sceptical probably for financial reasons but I persisted with this in mind not wanting to fill him full of meds and the result was thus.

All this year I used a Topical on my other Dood which has had no ill effects for all her five years and just used natural pet oil for my boy, and so far no nasty critters on him.

Since that time hes had no more seizures and reading comments on Seizure Prone sites a lot of owners say that SOME dogs ( not all) are definitely hypersensitive to the chemical base of Flea treatments. If natural works then I reckon its worth a shot?

I wonder if anyone else has experienced a similar problem , I would welcome your thoughts.

Sue, Lotti & Doogle

Post subject: Re: Doodle Seizures
PostPosted: 18 Aug 2017, 13:05 

That's v interesting.
I posted a little while ago about not wanting to use the vet prescribed Comfortis tablet. Dude has always been fine with Frontline but some weeks ago it seemed he had a passenger. The vet said I should give a Comfortis tablet but I wasn't happy to use it because, when D was a pup, he had a bad reaction to an anti sickness drug ( he developed tremors which had to be treated with steroids- no long term problems) A possible side effect of Comfortis is seizures,tremors etc- so, not something I will use for him!
So, my question is: What is your Natural treatment ? Is it Billy no mates?
I think I've sorted out Dudes recent passenger with a lot of combing with a fine comb, and I will probably use Frontline one more time to see if it works. Anny

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2017, 19:39 

Hi Anny

I deliberated over and read loads on the Internet about the contents of the Topical drops and some of the well known products contain Pyrethrum which I didn't realise is actually a poison mainly to insects but can in fact cause seizure like symptons in some pets. The more I read I thought it worth a shot and as I say my boy hasn't suffered since. Just couldn't watch him convulse any longer it was heartbreaking.

So I did a bit a more research and found a couple of Doggy Sites that had a lot of success with a dog preparation of Cedar Oil which suffocates the fleas and pupae.

You can buy in pump spray or trigger and ive just started now with this so il let you know how it goes.

Sue .

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2017, 21:27 

I am absolutely convinced that my dog's epilepsy was trigger by Advantix flea treatment. He had never had any sort of seizure until I used this on him, it was the second time I'd used it on him (the first time he got very hyper and just wouldn't settle, but I though it was just a coincidence). Within four hours of using it my dog for a second time, had a very severe seizure and within four months was having monthly seizures. Even my vet agreed with me that he thought it was probably caused by the Advantix.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2017, 23:11 

Thank you for sharing on this. It is important to share on such things as the pharms industry sure ain't interested imho. One does wonder how many other such events take place without the connection being made.

If you recall enough details perhaps you can report the events, if not done already.

https://www.vmd.defra.gov.uk/adverserea ... eSupport=1

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-312926

Below tells of the responsibilities of those who are in 'the trade'.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/veterinary- ... sibilities

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2017, 16:49 

I have valued all the replies to my post about the content in Topical Flea Treatments ie: Pyrethrum( or Pyrethrin) and also as mentioned Fipronil .

I was convinced the adverse affects my Dood suffered was based on this and i'm glad I didn't follow MY Vet's prognosis and the fact they wanted to fill him with meds on top of all this which I feel was quite not in the dog's best interest- however i'm sure a lot of Vet's do listen to an owners knowledge of their dog.

I would write to the Pharmaceutical Companies but I fear it may be pointless until Vet's take up the banner too.

Sue

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2017, 15:51 

I wrote and informed the manufacturers of Advantix that it appeared that their drug had triggered epilepsy in my dog - needless to say I didn't get an acknowledgement, let alone a reply!

Wend

ImageImageImageImageImageImage