Needing any info on Epiphen?

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
SUECARR

Needing any info on Epiphen?

Post by SUECARR » 24 Nov 2019, 13:24

Hello one and all,

I'm back posting about Doogle and his seizures. He has had a bad one this time and our Vet has decided to medicate with Epiphen to try and reduce the frequency of these awful episodes.
Done a bit of research online about this product and I know one or two of you have mentioned Epiphen being used, so i'm desperately seeking any comments you may have as to the benefits and side effects that we may experience or in fact that you may have come across. This is his first full week of treatment and so far he seems fairly ok . I'm hoping this will work for him poor boy.

Sue .

iwantadog

Re: Needing any info on Epiphen?

Post by iwantadog » 26 Dec 2019, 18:01

Hi Sue

Sorry this is so late replying but I don't come on here very often!

My dog was on Epiphen for about three years for his epilepsy. It can damage the dog's liver so it's worth protecting this by giving milk thistle with the epiphen. It is also essential that you get at least six monthly blood tests done so that you are aware of how the dog's liver is coping with the medication.

My dog did really well on it, but it did eventually cause him quite serious liver problems, all of which were totally cured.

Wendy x

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

SUECARR

Re: Needing any info on Epiphen?

Post by SUECARR » 01 Jan 2020, 13:06

Hi Wendy

Thanks for the reply , is the Milk Thistle in tablet form and how does it work? I have to say he is much better on the Epiphen but did raise concerns about the liver damage and the Vet said he will need full blood tests every six months.

Sue x