Is my dog overheating?

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
Doodling Days

Is my dog overheating?

Post by Doodling Days » 31 May 2020, 10:20

Louis has been throwing up after drinking water for the last week. It's not all the time, but frequently. It's quite immediate and I'm wondering if it's because he is simply too hot, and the cold water is hitting his stomach and being rejected. It's happened again this morning. I gave him a little more to drink after it happened and he kept it down. He's now resting in the shade. He had been running around a little before it happened. I don't remember this happening in the heat in previous years. Any ideas? Thank you. Louis is a 3.5 year old Australian Miniature.

AnnaB

Re: Is my dog overheating?

Post by AnnaB » 01 Jun 2020, 08:42

I would say that you are right and Louis is overheating. Cold water is a bit of a no no in hot weather, so try taking the chill off the water in his bowl if possible and (not easy with doods I know) try not to let him do any 'running around' in the heat of the day. Steady walkies in the early mornings/late evenings are best if at all possible - there have been some tragic reports recently of dogs with heatstroke (and burnt paws from hot pavements) and several have died. Is Louis clipped? In some cases a closely clipped coat can make it easier for the damaging sun's rays to get to the dog's skin and this can lead to overheating. The weather we are having has certainly been exceptional lately hasn't it. Just a few simple precautions and a dash of common sense will keep Louis safe. Good luck.

Mickeymouse

Post by Mickeymouse » 02 Jun 2020, 11:54

Thanks for the advice - With the excessive heat lately we had been thinking about getting him trimmed but he is 5yrs now and not trimmed before. He is able to go swimming (which he loves) and with the comments about the benefits of the long coat I think we will leave well alone as he has his main walk early in the morning and stays inside or in the shade in the garden during the day. Thanks for all the tips on this site.

jonb

Post by jonb » 27 Aug 2020, 13:48

These are great for keeping them cool, we've had a couple now for Roker as he used to come to the South of France with us where it could get to 35/36c at times. We had a scare with him there one year so got this for the following year. We used it loads to the point he needed a new one and we got this newer style which is a better fit and all the straps are integrated rather than separate. He doesnt come to France with us now but we still use it here when it gets really warm.

https://www.aquamatdog.com/product/cool ... s-easyfit/