Woofs got a cough

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
Bubbarooandemmatoo

Woofs got a cough

Post by Bubbarooandemmatoo » 07 Sep 2010, 22:11

Hi there, as far as I can work out a cough with a dog can be either a simple thing or the start of something really awful. Woof, just today has started to have a very annoying (for him) cough that can sometimes end up with him bringing up white foam. Has anyone had experiences with this? Ive been reading about all sorts from drinking too quickly to bloat, which is very dangerous. Vets tomorrow if I can get an appointment quite quickly.

trinared

Re: Woofs got a cough

Post by trinared » 07 Sep 2010, 22:21

Marley had a cough and brought up white foam every so often. Sounded like he had something in his throat that he was trying to clear. Vet said he had mild "kennel cough". They call any kind of doggy cough KC and can be very mild to very poorly dogs. Marley didnt need any treatment as he's young and healthy and it soon passed. Our vet advised always to get a persistent cough checked out just in case its lung worm which can start with same symptoms but be much worse...

If you are concerned I would pop him into the vets to put your mind at rest or pick up some anti B if necessary. Hope all better soon :D
Marley and Duffy

MrsAdmin

Post by MrsAdmin » 07 Sep 2010, 22:44

It sounds like Woof has kennel cough. You need to tell the vet in advance this is what it might be and they will arrange for you to bring him straight into the surgery. He will be infectious for 3 weeks so no mixing with other dogs I'm afraid.

If he has it mildly he probably won't need anything, except some yoghurt to ease his throuat, but the vet might give antibiotics if it's worse or going on his chest.
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Tracycooper15

Post by Tracycooper15 » 08 Sep 2010, 09:01

It does sound like kennel cough. Fudge caught it about a month ago but only a mild form that lasted about 4-5 day. Best speak to the vets as you planned.

tynkerbelluk

Post by tynkerbelluk » 08 Sep 2010, 11:46

Poor Woof :( . It does sound like KC. I was grateful for everyone's advice recently as I had no previous experience of it. A vet appointment is probably a good idea as Woof seems to be suffering more that Archie. Arch is in the middle of a bout of what appears to be KC at the moment. After about 4 days of minimal coughing (and no frothing) he has a runny, snuffly nose and seems more tired than normal I have not yet taken him to the vet. He is still acting normally - eating, drinking (a little more), chasing tail and playful so I am just watching him carefully. He is having oily sardines and probiotic yogurt and we are just taking it a day at a time. He has been vaccinated for KC so perhaps it is only a mild version. We are playing 'Billy no mates' and not exercising him. I will be straight down the vets though if anything changes.

I sympathise with you, it is horrid watching them. I hope Woof has it mildly and get better soon.Image
Sharron and Archie

blueboysgirl

Post by blueboysgirl » 08 Sep 2010, 11:56

Now I read these comments, I've probably missed Bruno's symptoms recently. He's been coughing for three days now, no foam, almost as if he has something stuck in his throat.
He's eating and drinking, playing and excersising, and he's been vaccinated.
Think it's prob mild KC, so I'll watch for any change in his behaviour.
Thankyou. Prob would of ignored it as it seems only about for or five times throughout the day he has an odd cough, but now I'll watch it.
:)
Claire and Bruno
ImageImage

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 08 Sep 2010, 16:18

Murphy had kennel cough 3 weeks ago and his symptoms were exactly the same as the ones you describe. He was absolutely 100% in himself though all the way through. We are finally going back to dog training tonight having only been about twice in the last three months due to various commitments over the summer.

Wendy x

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Lindsey

Post by Lindsey » 08 Sep 2010, 18:03

My advice..... go to your vet!! If you look at my previous threds from last year you will see how Meg developed pneumonia following kennel cough and had been vaccinated and had been to the vets numerous times with said symptoms. It cost us a lot both in terms of treatment, no summer holiday, HUGE stress over the worry of losing her which at one point was horribly real. Please see your vet and if you are not happy that your dog is getting better; ask for another opinion.

KateW

Post by KateW » 08 Sep 2010, 20:10

Lindsey wrote:My advice..... go to your vet!! If you look at my previous threds from last year you will see how Meg developed pneumonia following kennel cough and had been vaccinated and had been to the vets numerous times with said symptoms. It cost us a lot both in terms of treatment, no summer holiday, HUGE stress over the worry of losing her which at one point was horribly real. Please see your vet and if you are not happy that your dog is getting better; ask for another opinion.
I really do agree with this advice from Lindsey. We all know our own dog better than anyone and if you feel something is not right, it probably isn't....

Katherine
ImageImage