TICKS!!!!!

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
stout

TICKS!!!!!

Post by stout » 26 May 2011, 19:02

Stout went for a lovely walk in watersmeet today, he had a nice swim too. We then sat down to have our cream tea, and I noticed stout had something on his head, a tick, on closer inspection he was covered with them. We have just spent a fun hour picking them off and drowning then in gin. As first time dog owners and its the first time we have encountered ticks we are amazed how big and yucky they are!

I guess that's our evening sorted on 'tick watch'
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

Bid

Re: TICKS!!!!!

Post by Bid » 26 May 2011, 19:11

Oh Yuck! I hate the little beggars! It seems to be really bad this year - Daisy and Spike (cat) are picking them up daily! (does seem a waste of gin though! :lol: )
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

keegan family

Post by keegan family » 26 May 2011, 19:53

Horrible damn things , Marley had 3 the other week , but none since , i think Bid is right , they seem to be a lot of them around this year, as Leon had some as well .

Danda

Post by Danda » 26 May 2011, 20:08

So far I have removed 12 :shock: from Moomin!
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Oh and one from YS :evil:

Strongly recommend tick removers tho, great and make the removal nice, quick and almost painless.

Anna
ImageImage ImageImage

stout

Post by stout » 26 May 2011, 20:10

There should be a law against them and wasps ! There are 40 in our pot of gin (yes we are bored enough to count them!). I will be having nightmares tonight!

We have only found two attached so far. We brought some spray to kill them and a remover. Thank goodness he is up to date on his spot on!
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:

Pauline

Post by Pauline » 26 May 2011, 22:13

Hi the tick removers are great, I don't think a spray will be effective enough you need to get something like Advantix from the vet.
Be aware that ticks have been known to cause Lyme disease in humans so dogs do need to be treated.
There was a report today saying that there is a european tick in the southeast which causes problems.
Ticks seem to be prevalent in area of sheep and deer.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

stout

Post by stout » 26 May 2011, 23:27

He has advocat which includes tick stuff. The ones that have 'latched on' don't seem to have fed. We are checking ourselves for ticks too. The spray just seems to make him flustered!
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:

annvinton

Post by annvinton » 27 May 2011, 08:18

Hi, Please check your "Advocate" - I think you need "Advantix" to cover for ticks - made by same company
but cover different things (both do fleas).

Ann & Ben

ImageImage

Danda

Post by Danda » 27 May 2011, 09:08

Moomin's all latch on.... He is on Advocat. We also give him (dog homepathic) garlic tablests, use teatree shampoo etc etc but nothing helps.

He has been tested for Lymes once already last year - (@ £150! :shock: ). OH had Lymes a couple of years ago but because we were aware of it we caught it early and it cleared up with a long/high dose of antibiotics. Not sure if I'd spot the rash and/ or bulls eye on Moomin tho :(

His groomer actually found one... in his bum :oops: She thought he had a dirty bottom and then realised. I'm glad she had to try and get that one out! :lol:

Anna
ImageImage ImageImage

Danda

Post by Danda » 27 May 2011, 10:30

Spoke too soon! Just had to take one off his :oops:
ImageImage ImageImage

stout

Post by stout » 27 May 2011, 13:17

We have just gone and got him some tick spot on stuff (he was due advocate next week). We didn't realise that he needed extra protection against the little buggers. Found two more last night around his boy bits!

Thanks as always for the advice
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:

trinared

Post by trinared » 28 May 2011, 19:33

Can anyone tell me more about the 'bullseye' and what other symptoms of limes disease to look out for in dogs please? Can't find anything much online except it causes limping and fever.
Marley and Duffy

trinared

Post by trinared » 28 May 2011, 19:45

Ah just found site that says dogs don't develop a rash or the bullseye in lymes like humans do. Duffy has a round red mark left several days after I removed a tick from below her eye and I was worried about it. She is fine tho, eating and rushing about as normal :D
Marley and Duffy

Liz!

Post by Liz! » 28 May 2011, 23:18

Oh - I so wish I hadn't read this thread... L hasn't had one ...yet!
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read ~ Groucho Marx

sammylou

Post by sammylou » 29 May 2011, 09:36

Ugh!! Hate the little blighters! It's made me itch reading this thread. We have a lot of deer around us so often have to remove ticks. My 2 have advocate, and although the ticks attach they do seem to be dead when I remove then :?: I still pour boiling water on them though!!! :evil:
BUT 40 :shock: :shock: :shock: OMG!
Sam, Herbert Doodle and Ted pest
ImageImage