How young can the first season start?

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
Dog-Dog

How young can the first season start?

Post by Dog-Dog » 06 Jan 2012, 12:44

He there

Just been trying to search the age a season can start but couldn't find anything about the earliest, Kayler was sat on me last night and was licking her girls bits for ages. Tiegan was spayed before her first season so I have no idea what to look for. I think Kayler is a bit swolen but it's difficult to know, I didn't find anything in her bedding this morning but thought I should ask just to be prepared.

pixie's mum

Re: How young can the first season start?

Post by pixie's mum » 06 Jan 2012, 13:38

Hi TherI am not a vet or expert but have had plenty of girlie dogs and I have been told between 5-9 months.

I look for swollen vulva (girly bits) and possibly swelling of the teats.

Hope this helps but I am sure there are better qualified people on the site who can help further - also a quick vet check will confirm any changes.

Pixie's mum
ImageImage
ImageImage

The Turners

Post by The Turners » 06 Jan 2012, 19:54

pixie's mum wrote:Hi TherI am not a vet or expert but have had plenty of girlie dogs and I have been told between 5-9 months.
I look for swollen vulva (girly bits) and possibly swelling of the teat.Pixie's mum
Good Advice :D , our Wurly Girl was 12 months, she was a late starter :wink:
Nicky Chris & Wurly
Image Image

helenahigson

Post by helenahigson » 06 Jan 2012, 20:05

Coco was 12 months so probably abit late! Size and weight can affect. But any time really sounds like you already know what you are looking for. Good luck.xx
ImageImageImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 06 Jan 2012, 21:26

I would say anytime from 6 months onwards, although Daisy was a year old and Poppy was 18 months. If you wipe her girly bits with a damp tissue you might see signs of a discharge. If there's nothing, then I would keep an eye on her, just in case the licking is caused by cystitis rather than a season.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Daise1970

Post by Daise1970 » 06 Jan 2012, 22:17

Hey yeah our Gracie surprised us at 6 months by getting her first season but Our Maddie Moo was 12 months old. Gross as it is, I got a baby wipe on gracie's bits to confirm she was coming into season, and then her teats were really swollen not long after the first discharge..