Muphy Being Neutered Tomorrow

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
karen 49

Muphy Being Neutered Tomorrow

Post by karen 49 » 12 Aug 2012, 12:52

Murphy is now 14 months old. Held on as long as possible but he has tried to hump a few dogs while out walking. After all my panic's when he was younger he has grown into the most beautiful boy. Will still chew stuff but loves his family, still sleeps loads, still bounds up to other dogs and people, dives in the bushes or hides behind you if other dog objects in any way.
Feel so mean today and not sure what to expect. After making the big decission whilst walking last night another owner said 'mines 3, not neutered yet, your dog is lovely and it can change their personality, don't do it'.
Pretty sure doing right thing (trainer at classes always reminding us) but panicking a bit, can't look him in the eye today. So hard being a Mum.
Karen
ImageImage

kimberleyone

Re: Muphy Being Neutered Tomorrow

Post by kimberleyone » 12 Aug 2012, 13:44

Against my better judgement I had Mundesley done 3 weeks ago. The first week was a bit of a nightmare as I had to sedate him to keep him calm as the wound pulled open slightly, and his scrotum was swelling up. He had the squits for ages due to anaesthetic so had medication for that too. 3 weeks on the jury is still out. It has only been the past 3 days that he has been anything like the "old" Mundesley, this being proved by a 20 minute doodle dash around the house and garden! I am hoping that this has not affected his personality in ANY way because he was perfect the way he was. The only reason it was done was the risk of testicular cancer was removed. There is conflicting evidence re prostate cancer, so I discounted that reason. I am still not sure if I have done the right thing- albeit too late now :( Only time will tell.

Mica1971

Post by Mica1971 » 12 Aug 2012, 14:56

Marley was done at 9 months, he was back to normal after a couple of days. Ask the vet for sub cutaneous stitches, they stitch from inside and dont need to go back to get them out. I never noticed any difference in marley. Have wonderded since if i should have waited til he was older as he can be quite puppyish at times. Ho.euer, thats the only thing id say i wonder about.

With regard to the humping tho, thats a learned behaviour, getting him done wont necessarily stop it. He is trying to be top dog when with others and this is his way of trying x

'An idle mind is the devil's workshop.'
And the devil's name is Alzheimer's!

Markt3857

Post by Markt3857 » 12 Aug 2012, 16:39

Understand your concerns but Murphy will be fine. We had an Airedale who was neutered and the op didn't change him. He was maybe a little calmer but that's why we had him done in the first place.

He will be sore for a bit but after that no probs

Good luck for tomorrow let us know how he's doing
Mark, Kim, Briar & Marcie (the Cockapoo!)

The Turners

Post by The Turners » 12 Aug 2012, 17:00

Good luck Murphy. :D Let us know how he gets on, he'll be a bit sore at first, but back to his doodle dashing ways in no time. :D
Nicky Chris & Wurly
Image Image

purplepatch

Post by purplepatch » 12 Aug 2012, 17:16

Good luck Murphy hope all goes well.
PP

elainendexter

Post by elainendexter » 12 Aug 2012, 18:44

hope he is ok,and all goes well.
Image this is when grandaughter put dexter some platts in.

black all over

Post by black all over » 12 Aug 2012, 22:11

I know how you feel - Ed was done at 9 months and I felt soooo dreadful the day before about putting my beautiful boy through it :( . But, he was brill, no soreness or anything really, never needed to wear the cone (just licked at the area a couple of times cos it smelled funny I think). You do what you think right for your dog, family, lifestyle etc etc - I wouldn't keep an entire male as a family pet, but many people do. Poor Ed was humped by one the other day - its owner just laughed :o !!!! Good luck Murphy, you'll be fine.
Sue and Eddy

Bid

Post by Bid » 12 Aug 2012, 22:13

Good luck Murphy! I will be watching reports of his progress with interest, as we have not yet had Beamish neutered. I am planning on waiting until he is 2, but I may yet change my mind and do it earlier if he doesn't start paying more attention to me on his walks!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

karen 49

Post by karen 49 » 13 Aug 2012, 00:35

Thanks to everyone for kind wishes. Murphy had a lovely time on the beach this afternoon, should have 'konked out' at about 9 but couldn't settle (I'am sure he knows). Fast asleep now. I'll be in floods of tears about 9 tomorrow morning.
Karenx
ImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 13 Aug 2012, 00:41

We can sympathise on another front too, as Daze has a tummy upset and is being starved - that dreadful look as you fail to give them the expected meal! Good luck tomorrow :D :D
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

benacus

Post by benacus » 13 Aug 2012, 10:54

I hope all went well this morning, you are probably more distressed than Murphy is. I'm sure he'll be back to his doodling ways soon. x
Helen and Kizzy x

Bid

Post by Bid » 13 Aug 2012, 11:13

Thinking of you fretting this morning :( . What time can you ring and see how he is?
www.dogtrekker.co.uk

The Turners

Post by The Turners » 13 Aug 2012, 18:42

Hope it all went well :D
Nicky Chris & Wurly
Image Image

karen 49

Post by karen 49 » 13 Aug 2012, 20:04

Murphy is home, all is well so far. Poorly shaved front paw can't bring myself to look at the other'bits', Will has had to look. still a bit sleepy and has had painkillers so not sure what he will be like later. Nurse at vet's thought he was lovely, she said she had given him a bit of chicken when he woke and he was such a gentle dog the way he took it from her hand (still has a good chew on all of ours).
He has been out in the garden and very doodle like rolled in the grass, so hopfully the personality will remain. Got the dreaded head collar, may have fun if we need that.
Even our youngest son (the undoggy one altho' I catch him playing and cuddling Murphy) said 'poor dog and gave him a fuss'. He did then go on to call him Mrs Murphy, so he hasn't had a personality change either!!!!!!!
ImageImage