Grass seed and MRI scans

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
trinared

Grass seed and MRI scans

Post by trinared » 13 Oct 2012, 18:54

Hi all
I havent been here for ages (mainly cos we are busy getting ready for baby #1 :)) but I know this is always the best place to come for friendly advice!
Marley picked up a grass seed in his front paw 5 weeks ago. Since then he has had explorations, poltices, anti Bs, painkillers, all with no luck finding the pesky thing... if it is still in there at all! But he still has a wound in his pad not healing and still limps so vet has suggested an MRI scan to see if they can locate and remove it.
I was wondering if anyone else has gone down this route, how it worked out, what it involved (will he be fully anaethatised etc) and how much did it cost? We have insurance, not that it would matter if we didnt as we would always do the best for him :)

Thank you
Debbie, Brian, Marley and Duffy Doos
Marley and Duffy

Bid

Re: Grass seed and MRI scans

Post by Bid » 13 Oct 2012, 19:32

Exciting - a baby! :D :D

Poor Marley - these grass seeds are a real nuisance :evil:

Daisy had a couple of MRI scans for her ears, and she had a GA for each of them. The second one was done at a reduced cost of £120, but I can't find the receipt for the first one. I think they had forgotten they had already done one and were too embarassed to say so hence the reduced price :roll: .( It was interesting - I got to see Daisy's brain, so she has no excuses now - I know she has one! )
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Rowan11

Post by Rowan11 » 13 Oct 2012, 20:11

no advice sorry (although i just know one day ill prob be asking for it for Luna - she's always covered in them) but just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS on your baby news :D
Dawn & Luna x

trinared

Post by trinared » 13 Oct 2012, 20:14

Ah bless her :lol:
Did they let you stay with her then? Marley is such a good boy but we hate leaving him anywhere. Did they find the grass seed in Daisy's ear with the scan?

Thank you!!!
Once all this is done my next post will no doubt be how to introduce a new baby to two spoilt doodles :wink: :D
Marley and Duffy

Bid

Post by Bid » 13 Oct 2012, 20:22

No - I had to leave her there, but they showed me the pictures afterwards. There was nothing in her ear - they thought there might have been a seed or a polyp, because it wasn't clearing up, but they were wrong both times - expensively wrong! :roll:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron