Seizures - please help!

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
boobaa

Seizures - please help!

Post by boobaa » 04 May 2013, 15:42

Seizures, please help!

Hi, I’m new here, I’ve looked a few times but never posted so, here goes ....

Holly is our gorgeous doodle, 18 months old and absolutely adorable. Back in December she had a seizure in the middle of the night, we took her to the vet who said it was possibly epilepsy but didn’t want to do any tests as it might be a one off. A month later she had another one. I told the vet and they told me to keep an eye on her and let them know if she had more. Unfortunately, she had another one on Good Friday and has had them every 10 or so days since. Her last one being while out walking yesterday afternoon.

We’ve made notes of what happens and had blood tests two weeks ago which showed that her liver and kidneys were fine. She’s due back at the vets soon to take some more blood as the red/white blood cells sample clotted and needs to be redone.

One thing I have noticed for the last three fits is that it seems to be when she’s barely eaten anything all day. Holly has always been picky with her food and never overly keen on anything. Late last year we tried Hi Life Premier (?) which she seemed to like so have persevered with that with ham or something and kibble of some form mixed in but again its touch and go if she will finish it.

In the last month or so she’s gone right off her food, we’ve tried different options but nothing seems to appeal to her. Out of desperation she ends up with either digestives or toast. I know that she could be holding out for something more interesting but she just doesn’t seem hungry and I don’t want to give her nothing and risk another fit. She even turned down a plate of bacon and cheese the other day!

I was concerned that it might be her blood sugars but the vet didn’t seem to think that it was diabetes as she doesn’t drink/wee very much. They always tell me to remove stimuli from the area so putting her in the car to go to the vets straight after to check her blood sugar isn’t really an option.

I’m going back to the vets soon but wanted to try and explore other options before putting her on epilepsy drugs as I worry about the side effects. Has anyone had any similar experiences and can offer us some advice please. We’re worried sick about her and want to do everything we can to get her sorted.

The seizures start with her retching and being sick then she wobbles and ends up on her side, has convulsions, then paddles. Once she’s on the floor it lasts for about a minute, the first 2 were late night/early morning so she was asleep or just waking, 2 have been while out walking and the other 2 during the course of the day when she was lying on her bed in the kitchen.

Thanks for reading.

Helen

pixie's mum

Re: Seizures - please help!

Post by pixie's mum » 04 May 2013, 16:03

Hi there
I am so sorry you are having these problems with your dood. I can't help much except to say my puppy had a seizure last November which scared the life of out me but the vet thought she had picked up something toxic on the beach and she hasn't had another.
If you think food may be linked I would try feeding raw for a while to see if this helps. Virtually all dogs love it and their appetite returns.
All the best - please keep us informed.
Kathy
ImageImage
ImageImage

pixie's mum

Post by pixie's mum » 04 May 2013, 16:10

I have been following the free veterinary online presentations found at the link below
The next one on the 9th is about seizures and fits

Hope it helps
Kathy
http://www.theveterinaryexpert.com/
ImageImage
ImageImage

jackieholmes19

Post by jackieholmes19 » 04 May 2013, 16:17

I've been going on a bit about raw food recently, as Bella was really fussy, and wouldn't eat. Since I've changed her to raw, she's eaten every scrap! :D

Sorry to hear about the seizures. No experience of that I'm afraid, but I'm sure this wonderful forum will be able to give advice x
Jackie & Bella
Xxx

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 04 May 2013, 19:21

My doodle, Murphy, was diagnosed with epilepsy in October last year. He had his first fit whilst we were out walking him, he just suddenly collapsed and fitted, prior to this he was absolutely hyper and mad. He has had two other fits since then, both of which were when he was at home and relaxed. I can always tell when he is going to have a fit as he licks the air and creeps on his tummy. He started to get quite nervous and would cower if I shouted at my kids, which he had never done before.

I looked into the various types of medication and decided that Bromide was the one with the least side effects. He has been in them since January and is back to normal and hasn't had a fit since 17 January, this is the longest he has gone without having one for a year, so they are definitely working. He has to have a blood test every three months to make sure that his kidney and liver are ok. He had his first one last Saturday, I got a phone call on Tuesday to say someone at the lab had dropped the vial of blood and smashed it, so we have to go back again next Saturday for another!

Has your vet given you diazipam to give him when he has a fit. I always keep tubes at home and if he had one I had to squirt it up his bum, which wasn't particularly pleasant, but did always stop the fit.

Please don't hesitate to PM me if you want to ask any questions. If you look on this forum Bid has put a link to a webinar about epilepsy in dogs which I have signed up to, it might be worth you looking at this as well.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

boobaa

Post by boobaa » 04 May 2013, 20:18

Thanks for your replies. Your support has really made a difference to us today. It's nice to know that there are so many lovely people in the world.

We fully sympathise with Murphy. Glad you seem to have things under control. It really feels like the end of the world when it's happening, particularly when you're outside and they stand more chance of hurting themselves on the ground.

The vet gave us some diazepam yesterday. We've had the retest for the red and white blood cells as the first one clotted and should get the results middle of next week so, depending what they say we will talk drugs with the vet.

Thanks for the info on bromide. I will have a look into it. I've registered for the webinar as well.

Just got decisions to make. It's all so scary, I've had butterflies n my tummy for weeks :( We just don't want our gorgeous, crazy, bouncy little girl to suffer.

Holly looks just like Murphy by the way, but black. Will try to add a pic tomorrow if I can work it out.

Thanks

Helen

Holly x

PeggyS

Post by PeggyS » 04 May 2013, 20:50

Sorry I did not reply before but I have been out. Peggy has had a seizure about a month ago and iy is really scary. She did all the blood tests etc and they were non conclusive just like yours. I remember that the next few days were really frightening and your heart is in your mouth. Hold on in there and I am sure things will be sorted soon.
Murphy's mum and bid will have great advice

Good luck and keep in touch

Helen xx

boobaa

Post by boobaa » 04 May 2013, 22:14

I can't believe that there are so many of us in the same position poor babies!

What have you done so far, is Peggy on medication yet?

Good luck to you too.

Helen x

Holly x

Glenda

Post by Glenda » 04 May 2013, 22:31

Poor Holly and poor you too Helen... having to watch your beloved pet have a seizure is so upsetting :(

Dooley has had 2 mild seizures this year - he had one late at night and then another 2 weeks later at
lunchtime. Our vet also took blood samples and thankfully they came back all clear. So, she THINKS he
has epilepsy which, she said, is diagnosed by a process of elimination. If he has another one she has recommended
that he goes on medication.

When I was reading your post, my first thoughts (like you) was perhaps a problem with Holly's blood sugar
levels.

I have changed Dooley's food (and Jessie's and Deano's) and they now have no grains at all and, touch wood,
he hasn't had another one. I do still, though, watch him like a hawk - I can't help it, I'm a born worrier! :roll:

I really hope you get to find out what's causing Holly's seizures and please keep us updated xx
ImageImage

ImageImage

Jay128

Post by Jay128 » 05 May 2013, 00:51

No advice to give I'm afraid, just to say we wish you well and hope you manage to get the right help for your lovely dood. Its never easy to watch them suffer.
Jay and Poppy :D
ImageImage

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 05 May 2013, 08:45

Helen, I know what you mean about having butterflies in your tummy all the time, every time Murphy does something unusual I also panic that he's going to have a fit, but this feeling does go in time and you realise that it's not the end of the world and she will lead a normal, healthy life.

I keep tubes of diazipam with him wherever we go. I bought two poo bag holders, to attach to his lead, left the bags in one and in the other I sewed up the bit where the bags come out so I was left with a small zippy pouch and keep three tubes of diazipam in it, so if he has a fit when we are out I have it with me. Murphy's first fit was when we were out walking, luckily I managed to get him on some grass, but he still really banged his head as he was writhing about so much I couldn't hold it, and calm down two hysterical children :roll: , he bit his tongue (which he hasn't done since), so I also got covered in blood. Everyone has said to me the first fit is the worst, which does seem to be the case.

Would love to see some photos of Holly. Everybody thinks Murph is a golden retriever as he doesn't have the typical doodle beard - we just tell everyone he hasn't read the Doodle Book to find out how he should look :lol:

Wendy

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 06 May 2013, 17:26

Poor Holly, and what a worry for you :( I wondered the same as Glenda - some seizures can be caused by blood sugar levels, and I know some people with dogs who have epilepsy will feed several small meals throughout the day rather than one or two larger meals to try and keep it balanced. Maybe smaller meals would appeal more to Holly if she isn't keen on eating :|
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Bid

Post by Bid » 06 May 2013, 17:32

Just been told about a new forum providing support for owners of doodles with health problems, and there is a thread about epilepsy there which may be worth a look http://www.doodlehealthsupport.org/forum
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

PeggyS

Post by PeggyS » 06 May 2013, 19:11

Hi Helen
Very difficult to get my hands on the computer due to having 2 kids battling for it.

No Peggy is not on any medication as she has only had the one partial seizure. Hopefully she will not have any more but is=f she does I am sure she will be.

Hope Holly is feeling better.