Diet time

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
blueboysgirl

Diet time

Post by blueboysgirl » 26 Jul 2013, 20:45

I went to get Bruno's annual vaccinations and the vet weighed him.

Bearing in mind, 8 months or so ago, he was only 31kg, and the vet advised he put on a couple of kilos :oops: ......

He now weighs 40kg!!! :shock:

So he's having slightly less kibble and NO titbits from now on.

Not quite sure hubby will be able to keep to it as it's always him that gives in to the puppy dog eyes :roll:
Claire and Bruno
ImageImage

briansangel

Re: Diet time

Post by briansangel » 26 Jul 2013, 22:07

Poppy is nearly 30kg and on raw full time now.. We had a few problems with raw early on but she loves it now.. She is nearly 9 months old but a big girl (Tall) and Vet says she is fine weight wise.. I dont give her kibble anymore obviously as shes on raw i think she looks skinny compared to how she was on kibble but she has a lot more energy and is looking healthier... Have you tried raw? Dont give up if she doesnt eat it Poppy suddenly decided she loved it after hating it for months now she wont touch her kibble xxx
ImageImage

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 27 Jul 2013, 08:26

Murphy was 28kg a couple of months ago and very barrel shaped! I put him on a low calorie version of his kibble, stopped any tipbits and have got him back down to 25kg which for him is a perfect weight - just wish it was so easy for me to lose 3kg!!! :roll:

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

suzi23173

Post by suzi23173 » 27 Jul 2013, 08:55

How tall are Bruno, Murphy and Poppy?
I am always worrying about Tess's weight and wanting to compare her with other doods.
Love,
Suzi and Tess.
xxx

dexysback

Post by dexysback » 27 Jul 2013, 12:28

The vets told me to get dexter down to 40 he is 43 at moment but he was 45 and 47 at one point ,but i dont want to starve him.
ImageImage

blueboysgirl

Post by blueboysgirl » 29 Jul 2013, 12:41

suzi23173 wrote:How tall are Bruno, Murphy and Poppy?
I am always worrying about Tess's weight and wanting to compare her with other doods.
Bruno is around 29" to his shoulders. I have noticed that he's not as slender as he was, but I still don't think he's fat??? (or "barrel" shaped!! :lol: )
Claire and Bruno
ImageImage

ClareV

Post by ClareV » 29 Jul 2013, 14:34

Charlie is 24 inches to the shoulder and weighs 22-23 kg however much food I give him... Having clipped him v close the vet and I decided that he is a real poodle build; all long, skinny legs and v narrow, so my vet said that he is spot on at this weight. He is 3/4 poodle though, so it is not surprising.

I have a choccy lab staying with me who is on half his feed, is considerably smaller yet weighs 28kg. She is the perfect weight for her body shape. I think it really just depends on their build, and they are all so different. Easier to tell when clipped short, but running your hands over them should give you a good indication as to their correct shape.

Bit like humans, I guess... I am 5'9 and looked thin at 10 stone (some yrs ago!) yet my mate is slightly taller, built like a beanpole and is the perfect weight for her shape at 9 stone (grrrr!)... Jealous? Moi?

stout

Post by stout » 29 Jul 2013, 18:41

Stout has been on a diet, he is on raw, he was 34 kilos (about 25 inches). I got told off by the vet when he had an ear infection. We cut down his food from 300g twice a day to 250g twice a day, we didn't reduce treats (need all the bribery we can get). He is now down to 30 kilos. Which is apparently about right - he now has ribs and a waist :lol:
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

Madeleine

Post by Madeleine » 29 Jul 2013, 18:57

Its the story of Dylan's life ! He's a medium size F1 (the size of a smallish lab) he weighs 23 KGS approx and the vet wants him to lose 2>3 KGS, easier said than done. We have cut his treats down to tiny bits as a reward and only if deserves them. Its to do with his shape and if his ribs can be felt . I must admit he is a bit porky and has wobbly bits but nothing too bad.
He has a massive appetite so its an up hill struggle.
He has 2 walks a day and swims fegularly .
I feed him 'taste of the Wilde' which doesnt have cereal.
Its as difficult for dogs as it is for humans but at least we understand not so our babies who give you that pathetic look !
ImageImage