Lump behind ear in the neck

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
Rowan11

Re: Lump behind ear in the neck

Post by Rowan11 » 05 Oct 2013, 13:31

Crickey ! Just catching up with this !
Sorry you have been through the mill with her :(
Hope she is on the mend now xx
Dawn & Luna x

travis

Post by travis » 06 Oct 2013, 08:16

Wow!! I've only just spotted this thread. :shock:
While we were on holiday recently, the garden was full of long dried grass and I had read about how many problems the barbed seeds can cause to pets so I kept Chica out of that area as much as I could. From past experience I have had these seeds work there way through my trainers and they are so difficult to get rid of because they only travel one way and can't be pulled back out, but you would expect they would be 'dealt with' by the body's defences if they penetrate the skin.
I don't see that there is any way you can prevent this happening other than avoiding areas where they are found (easier said than done).
Poor Poppy has really had a tough time but at least given time she will be back to her usual self.
Hope to see you again soon at a doodle meeting.
..................I'm off to check my insurance!!

Useful information for anyone heading across the channel by car.Driving to Portugal Our Way
Mechanical Rodeo Bull Hire For private parties & fun days.

Jay128

Post by Jay128 » 06 Oct 2013, 08:37

Not been on for a while but I am so pleased that Poppy is home with you. It must have been an awful time for you all, my heart goes out to you. Just reading this highlights that, although costly, insurance is worth every penny. I am sure despite her scars she is still beautiful and exceedingly grateful to have such a loving family. :D
ImageImage

Niandsa

Post by Niandsa » 06 Oct 2013, 13:40

Thanks everyone for their kind wishes. Poppy is beginning to feel much better. :D Her tail is wagging again and she is doing her usual doodle bouncy greeting to everyone she sees! :lol: Her stitches are staying clean and dry although she has a large seroma (build up of fluid) under her chin. We spoke to the hospital for advice and they were not concerned as long as it doesn't start to weep from her stitches. They are much higher up along her jaw so fingers crossed we will be ok. :D

She is happy to sleep in her crate again (the first night she ended up in the spare bed with me - a real treat as she doesn't normally get to even go upstairs never mind on a bed) :lol: I think she will definitely have put some weight on as we are treating her loads and she is doing no exercise! I'm sure it will shift once she is back on her feet. :)

Regarding the grass seed, I always checked her over after every walk for seeds between her pads and on her coat etc. I just never thought about one getting stuck in her throat and making it's way through. :shock: She doesn't eat grass so I've not really got an idea of how it got there. :roll: She's been really unlucky as it lodged in her lymph node (hence the worry about lymphoma) and a bit was left just beside the lymph node. This meant that she ended up with 2 abscesses together. :twisted:

Anyhow I guess that everything has finished seeding for this year so we can breathe easy until next spring. Although I will have to watch her with sticks now as she does like a good chew on those! :wink:
ImageImage
Poppy and Rosie

Pollydoodle

Post by Pollydoodle » 06 Oct 2013, 22:16

Sooo glad to read Poppy is on the mend and she is inclined to mischief again 8)

Glenda

Post by Glenda » 07 Oct 2013, 20:45

Aww I'm so pleased that Poppy is well on the mend and hopefully you can start to relax a bit
too! :D :D
ImageImage

ImageImage

Rowan11

Post by Rowan11 » 07 Oct 2013, 21:23

yep - me too - glad she is on the mend now :) Yaaay :)
Dawn & Luna x

susieQ

Post by susieQ » 08 Oct 2013, 08:52

So glad she's on the mend, it's scarey what a little grass seed can do :( . Her fur will soon grow back but she's ok that's the main thing :D
Sue and Rosie

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 09 Oct 2013, 21:01

So glad she's on the mend now.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw » 10 Oct 2013, 11:45

Really pleased to read how well Poppy is doing, what a saga and worry for such a small thing!

I had a friend with a horse who had a similar problem, hers was a bit of tree branch, it did eventually abscess out but it wasn't as spikey and nasty as a grass seed. Horrid things.

I hope her recovery is swift and good.

Niki x

pixie's mum

Post by pixie's mum » 10 Oct 2013, 16:19

Just caught up with thread after holiday and am sooooo pleased that Poppy is recovering well
Pixie and Jazz send soothing kisses to her shaved face and hope to see her soon
Kathy
ImageImage
ImageImage