Should I section the garden??

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
gemmabeth

Should I section the garden??

Post by gemmabeth » 26 Feb 2014, 11:47

Morning everyone,

We are bringing our puppy home in 4 weeks and are starting to get the house puppy-proofed as best we can, stairgates, cable covers, plug covers etc, but one thing we're not sure what to do with is the garden..

We moved into our house in November and the garden is secure, we have checked, but the borders are rather messy shall we say with the winter weather and we havent been through a summer there yet to have done it ourselves. Im a little worried about this and I don't know if I should somehow section some of the garden off for her so she can't get into any trouble or eat something she shouldn't?? Should we use some chicken wire perhaps?! Argh! I feel like I am constantly over worrying about every little potential hazard and all these "what ifs"!!! I keep reading so many different opinions on everything from sleeping arrangements to food to walking and I think my mind is slowly going to expolde!!

And breeeeathe!

Thank you in advance x

Doodle Dee

Re: Should I section the garden??

Post by Doodle Dee » 26 Feb 2014, 12:10

All I can be is honest. Sectioning the garden is good if you are able to train the pup to go in one place. If you are starting from the beginning (planting etc) obviously the less she can dig up the better (bulbs they love). I really don't think you will be able to stop them eating things they shouldn't all the time!

If you have grass, they like to dig so your grass won't be too pretty at the end of it, also there urine can sometimes burn the grass. There isnt much in my garden but Lulu did manage to find things (like the cat's poo - yuck)

I am sure others will come up with lots of different advice

Cant wait to see the new pup
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

Niandsa

Post by Niandsa » 26 Feb 2014, 12:24

Our dogs have access to the whole garden and it is trashed! :x They have dug up the lawn, there are burnt patches everywhere, most of the plants have been nibbled away and it takes ages to pick up their poo as it is everywhere! But they have lots of fun out there and will happily entertain themselves for an hour or two which is great. :D

So I would say that if you are garden proud then dividing it up may save your sanity! If not, then having the whole garden to access will give her much more fun! :lol:

There are lists of plants harmful to dogs which are useful if you know what each plant looks like. :roll: Try googling for one. :D
ImageImage
Poppy and Rosie

Sasha & Pluto

Post by Sasha & Pluto » 26 Feb 2014, 14:10

Hiya, we have sectioned the garden off with some mesh fencing stuff we bought from Wicks as I didn't want Pluto digging up the lawn, plus it was great to keep an eye on him so we could get him to recognise the word wee wee, so he now does it on command.
Sasha & Pluto

ImageImage[/url]

Harvey's Mum

Post by Harvey's Mum » 26 Feb 2014, 14:40

Hi,

We sectioned an area off for Harvey and he still managed to find a stone to swallow. We had even jet blasted all the paving slabs and in between the large rockery stones. You've probably seen all my updates recently.

I think the key is just to watch him very closely - but I was watching him and look what happened to us :roll:

I guess no area is totally safe if you have a very determined puppy.

Good luck!

Linda

EstelleB

Post by EstelleB » 26 Feb 2014, 15:46

Hiya. When we first got Tia, we tried to remove hazards from the garden and meshed off some fencing by our flower beds which have a bit of a drop on the other side. Tia still managed to eat something which made her ill, but I would say to help you not worry too much it is worth doing.

Up until about 6 months, our efforts were focused on keeping Tia safe, now it is more about keeping the garden safe from her! Left to her own devices (and she much prefers to be outside playing) she has dug holes, ripped plants up and generally trashed the place!

I will try to get a picture, but we lined the edge of a raised patio area with flower troughs and pots to stop her falling off the edge. Now her favourite pass-time is to get in the troughs and walk (i.e. trample on the plants) along to the corner to see if she can break into next door's garden!

Have fun!
ImageImage

gemmabeth

Post by gemmabeth » 26 Feb 2014, 17:00

Thanks so much for your replies....!! Our house is rented!! OH NO!! We did agree with the landlord when we moved in that we may have a dog and we also paid a little more for our security deposit as a result.. anyway, perhaps this may be a good idea as damage limitation. I know every dog is different but I think covering our backs is a good idea...!

Linda, im so sorry to hear about poor Harvey and the stone. I hadn't read your post until Id posted my question, I just popped online at work to post the question and then get more chance to read posts properly when im home, I hope I didn't sound insensitive. I have read through your posts now, I can't imagine how you must have been feeling, it sounds like he is being well cared for at the vets and im sure everything will be fine.. I was "vet visiting" yesterday to decide who to register with and when you start to think about it, them being well cared for if something does happen is so important. Dogs don't think like humans do and the vets will be giving him lots of love too im quite sure, Thinking of you.

B&Q here we come then I guess!! Have just purchased an extra wide baby gate/room separator from Argos so put up in the kicthen as damage limitation too - if it fits, it will be brilliant!!! xx

Molly/Maisie

Post by Molly/Maisie » 26 Feb 2014, 20:24

Hi

I sectioned part of my garden off when I got my 2 pups , my garden is about 80ft and to begin with I let them have run of the garden but I soon found it was far too much for them so I sectioned about 10ft x 25ft , I bought 2 pens off amazon and used them , they came in panels so I made 1 large pen for the first 2 weeks then opened them up and put them across the garden they weren't that high put they kept them safe just taken them away and my pups are 5mths old ,

Amanda

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 26 Feb 2014, 20:52

Hi!
A little late to the topic but... I would section off my garden given the chance again...

Wee Ianto was into everything - for one so small he was very determined. If it's not insensitive, I used to say that he'd declared a fatwah on my garden... :(

He smashed plant pots, tore up plants, bit off the raspberry canes and acer tree branches, dug holes in the lawn, tipped up the bird bath, ripped out a treasured Hellebore (which I later learned was poisonous to dogs), pulled out and tried to eat canes, ate bits off the brick wall, tried to eat stones (and snails! :shock: ) - I could go on...

He fell off the garden wall, fortunately landing in a huge flower pot... no wonder I'm prematurely grey! ( :roll: )

As mentioned, check out the list of poisonous/harmful to dogs plants (I think there's a list on the Dogs Trust website) and make sure your pup can't run up and down any steps, to protect her/his hips.

Other than that, enjoy!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Anne & Ianto x

tynkerbelluk

Post by tynkerbelluk » 26 Feb 2014, 22:39

Only if medication and therapy have failed and it is a danger to itself or others :!: :lol:

Sorry, it was the first thing that came into my head when I saw the post title and I'm ashamed to say I don't even have any useful advice to offer :oops:

BAD Archie's mummy :roll:
Sharron and Archie

mizmaz

Post by mizmaz » 26 Feb 2014, 22:58

Ive just read through these posts and I'm afraid I haven't any useful advice. I will add that we've had lucy nearly two weeks now and today she decided that whatever was on the other side of our fence was interesting enough to dig for!
I have a shingled and slabbed back garden. Not ideal but have only lived here two years and suited our needs. I plan to put artificial grass down in a few weeks now we have her. Natural grass wouldnt survive as we don't get a lot of sun, and it sounds like it probably wouldn't survive Lucy!!!!
Sounds like sectioning is a good idea to train a puppy in garden rules. For Lucy, I think constant supervision is the answer!

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 26 Feb 2014, 23:33

tynkerbelluk wrote:Only if medication and therapy have failed and it is a danger to itself or others
Good Archie's Mummy, 'cos now I can gloat that I have slightly more self-control... :lol: :lol: :lol: It was the first thing I thought too!!! :roll:
Anne & Ianto :lol:

stout

Post by stout » 27 Feb 2014, 00:32

We used chicken wire to stop stout trampling over the flower beds in our old house. The garden was so tiny he decided after a while that he wouldn't go to the loo in the garden (a pain when he had an upset belly and you had to go for a wander in your pjs in the middle of the night :roll: ). Our new garden is much bigger. We have fenced off the end as I have had enough of him walking all over my veg/digging up the spuds/burying bones, and that is the only part of the garden that we use fertiliser on. He has free reign over the rest. The lawn is covered in mud patches, skids from playing ball and there are various holes in the borders. We are working on a strict 'keep of the plants' regime after his tummy problems :roll:
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 27 Feb 2014, 01:11

We put a bit of fence up at one end of one of the lawns so she didn't chase the ball over the edge.

We never let her out without one of us - we took her out each time for the loo on a special slip lead (so no need for collar indoors) and gave her a special word each time she went, so that later we can say the word to get her to go at our convenience. This also speeds up house training.

We played outside with her in the summer, and only let her out for the loo, and it was ages (maybe 1-2 years?) before she was allowed out on her own.

So now if we let her out she rushes back in as soon as possible. She likes company, and doesn't like being out there on her own. I think if you have two dogs it is different.

This has meant no dug up anything at all. The grass is green, the shrubs are able to grow, there are no muddy patches.

And we get no muddy footprints from a dog going in and out all the time.

She adores playing football and agility games out in the garden, or sitting with me in the sun.
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)