Graciedoodle being speyed tomorrow :(

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
Gracie's mums

Graciedoodle being speyed tomorrow :(

Post by Gracie's mums » 20 Mar 2014, 19:20

....and we feel incredibly guilty! I could cry when I think of leaving her at the vets lol :cry:

For others have gone through this, how did yours manage with restricted walks and garden access? Also did it take long for them to heal? We will be off with her until tues next week then it will be back to being left a few hours in the afternoon.

How stressful this dog ownership can be!

Becky xxxx
Gracie, Becky and Laura

ImageImage

pixie's mum

Re: Graciedoodle being speyed tomorrow :(

Post by pixie's mum » 20 Mar 2014, 19:50

Both my girls were absolutely fine post op. I must admit I slept on the floor with them for a couple of nights just to check they didn't like their wound but they were fine.
Some people use baby-gro suits to protect them.
I kept a lead close to hand and put them on it before I opened doors for shirt walks and to control them whilst preparing food and if visitors came. It's soon over and done and dusted.
Give her a cuddle from me
ImageImage
ImageImage

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 20 Mar 2014, 19:51

I know exactly what you mean - I'd been looking forward to Ianto's operation for months (sick of the rugby tackles!!) but felt incredibly guilt too. And miss seeing his 'bits' (which doodles love to show off :oops: ) But he has settled down really well and healed quickly. I know that the male version isn't such a big op, but I'm sure Gracie will be fine - and it is for her benefit, too.
Good Luck for tomorrow Gracie, let us know how you get on, little girl -
love,
Anne & Ianto xx

Jay128

Post by Jay128 » 20 Mar 2014, 21:29

Poppy was fine after the first 24 hours. She slept a lot and wanted extra cuddles. I did make her a hot water bottle and that really seemed to help. Our vet gave us pain killers to use for her which also really helped as I think they made her slightly sleepy which helped with the doodle dashing and walks. I bought her a doggy baby grow which meant I could take her collar off and just relax with her.
Hope all goes as smoothly for you as it did for us, I'm sure it will :D
ImageImage

elmo75

Post by elmo75 » 20 Mar 2014, 23:13

Sending lots of love to Gracie xxx Bronte's first season finally over! She'll be having her op in three months. I'm sure you'll have lots of tips to give us! You'll be there for her and that will make it all ok. Good luck and sending big kisses and licks from us,

Ellie & Bronte xxx
ImageImage

Willow Dood

Post by Willow Dood » 21 Mar 2014, 00:11

Good luck tomorrow. I am sure Gracie will be fine. Willow was spayed in January and I felt so guilty putting her through it. But she was fine. For about 24 hours, she was quite dopey and felt quite sorry for herself. She was quite clingy with me. We had her in the bedroom with us at night (she normally sleeps in the hall) and we put a cone on her to stop her licking her wound while we were asleep. She didn't wee or poo for a while, but apparently that is quite normal. But within 3 days she was back to normal. She had lead walks twice a day and this seemed to suffice. We did this for 2 weeks. She did have a reaction to the pain relief (Metacam) and we had to stop it after 2 days, but she was healing well, so the vet said to stop. She had dissolvable stitches and after 2 months, her fur had started to grow back and you cannot even see a scar now. One thing to watch for though is that they can put weight on after the op. We were advised to cut her food down a bit, which we have done. We weigh her about once a month, so hopefully we can keep it under control.

Anyway, good luck tomorrow and try not to feel too guilty. Easier said than done, I know. I am sure Gracie will be absolutely fine within a day or so and will soon have forgotten all about it.

Will be thinking of you both tomorrow. xx
Sue and Willow xx

ImageImage

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 21 Mar 2014, 17:15

Hope all has gone ok today.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Gracie's mums

Post by Gracie's mums » 21 Mar 2014, 19:19

Thanks guys for all the advice, Laura picked her up at 3pm and we are keeping her in her crate for now! Had a wee as soon as she got home.

She has dissolvable stitches and some pain relief. Vets have said they will give us something if she gets back to her doodle self quicker than expected. I feel sick with the stress. God knows what I'd do if I had kids! Lol!

Were gonna take the crate upstairs tonight, as she does have a tendency to jump on the bed at 5 am :/ xxx
Gracie, Becky and Laura

ImageImage

Sharon-Tilly

Post by Sharon-Tilly » 21 Mar 2014, 20:32

Bless her cotton socks x. I dread the day when we have to book Tilly in for the op :(

Big hugs x
ImageImage

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 21 Mar 2014, 21:16

Aww, hope she heals quickly, Xx
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 21 Mar 2014, 21:44

Bless her little cottons... soon be over Gracie, and then you can forget all about it. (May take your Mums a little long though!)
Hoping you all have a peaceful night tonight -
Anne & Ianto xx

Molly/Maisie

Post by Molly/Maisie » 22 Mar 2014, 14:47

Same here Molly and maisy are being spayed on Monday , they are having it done by keyhole so I'm hoping they won't be to bad licking the stiches , not looking forward to have 2 sad puppies

Amanda