Claw Clipping

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
Immi

Claw Clipping

Post by Immi » 20 Mar 2014, 22:59

We are having problems with Immi's claws again. She has a massive phobia of having them clipped, filed or touched in any way. The only time we've been able to have them clipped as an adult is under anaesthetic. When she was a pup she let me do it regularly, but when we had to get a new clipper because she'd outgrown the first one she developed the phobia. She has always had abnormally long quicks to make things more complicated. We don't do many pavement walks for fear of inducing hip issues because she is very leggy, so we generally walk in the fields near the house. But for all the walks her claws are still too long. We have tried many different methods, been to professional groomers, and never manage to get a single claw clipped. Even with a head collar tied securely and two people holding onto her she still managed to buck and resist. I did manage to get one last week while she was sleeping, but she woke up straight away and sulked for over a day about it. Now if I even gently touch a paw while she is asleep she wakes up and give me the evils. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm loath to have her put under for the process.
Gav & Becks.

Bid

Re: Claw Clipping

Post by Bid » 20 Mar 2014, 23:07

Just a quick point about the quicks being long - it is probably because her claws aren't clipped that often. If claws are clipped regularly then the quicks recede. I have a similar problem with Daisy as we keep her road walking to a minimum, and if I don't keep an eye on her claws then her quicks get long too. Luckily Daisy is pretty co-operative so I don't have that excuse - it's all my fault :oops:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

suebedo

Post by suebedo » 20 Mar 2014, 23:29

I'm no behaviourist but I would start of by every single day, when she is asleep, sitting by her and holding her paw very gently until she doesn't get jittery when you pick up her paw. Then gradually build up to stroking her paw, then feeling it all over, then brushing it with a soft brush, combing it, giving the claws a good look at, introducing the nail clippers so that she wakes up next to them and finally try using them. However, I think this is a long term plan of action and if her nails need cutting now, you will probably need to get the vet to sedate her this time to get it done.

Interested to see other suggestion.

Immi

Post by Immi » 20 Mar 2014, 23:43

Yeah, you are spot on there Bid, it's a vicious cycle. The quick extending to supply blood further down the claw as it grows etc. I've seen some really severe cases in rescues :( I know the key to shortening quicks is regular minor clipping. We were hoping that by having them clipped back under anaesthetic rather short and cauterising (when she had her spay) we would be able to keep them fairly short with plenty of walking, and not have to put her through the stress of clipping too regularly. It was OK for a while, they stayed short, but I suspect with the ground being softened by the rain so much these last months that what abrasion there is normally has been absent. Her back claws are fine fine, the problem lies only in the fore claws. I'm stumped as to what to do. One thought I has was giving her some of my cat's diazepam! :wink:
Gav & Becks.

Bid

Post by Bid » 21 Mar 2014, 00:17

This may sound daft, but what about smearing the clippers with something lush such as peanut butter, so not only do they smell good to Immi, but leave her claw smelling good and lickable too? It might surprise her enough to get one claw done and then you can leave her to lick it clean. I'm just trying to think of a way to make her feel differently about it all.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

dexysback

Post by dexysback » 21 Mar 2014, 12:15

My sister as the same problem ,her dog as to be done under anisetic ,but have you tryed to give her something to calm her before she as it done.
ImageImage

michala

Post by michala » 21 Mar 2014, 15:49

Love Bid's advice - hope it works x

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 21 Mar 2014, 17:19

Murphy could do with his being done, he's only had it done once before and that was when he was under GA. Sounds like I might be in for a bit of a battle. :roll:

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Pollydoodle

Post by Pollydoodle » 22 Mar 2014, 01:14

Hhmm, experienced (experiencing) this in a fashion& have made progress. Some excellent days some not. He arrived with a don't you dare go near my paws /legs, duly advised with a growl :shock: - Yiks! Big dog, big chops, whoa now what - so went back to as if he was a new 8 week pup.Most days he'll present a front paw to me( we have a ritual) and he rests paw on an outstretched towel... He's a mud/water sponge/ needs paws dried & nails clipped. He gets loads of treats for even thinking about paw offering. Treats on view at nose height on the counter edge.I know this is still a massive challenge for him and some days he can bearly manage. It takes a long time with oodles?? :roll: of patience. He always has the ability to escape if he wants ,so not cornered or restrained.Be careful not to unintentional block her escape route.
Like Bid's idea of smeared clippers. I'd leave them lying about rather than a "Right,we are going to tackle the nail clipping saga again" and all the vibes that go with. Do you still have the pup clippers? maybe put those out and about.
To start, sounds like need to regain Immi's trust when it comes to paws.Does she let you touch her else where? Stay away from paws and maybe touch shoulder/other areas with back of your hand. build it slowly , eventually she may allow (must be at her pace) a brief touch of paw from the back of your hand before you go back to touching shoulders etc
What if you put uber treats (liver?) in your closed hand on the floor (get comfy u may be awhile)besides probably gnawing your hand,would she perhaps paw at your hand in frustration of getting to the liver/treat. Let her have loads/all and more if she eventually puts her paw on your hand.
If where me I would not make any grabs for paws even if asleep.Forget the nail clippers and work on just being able to maybe touch a paw indeed let her paw touch your hand.
Sorry for long waffle. :oops:Hope you find something that works. If you are brave enough after all my blah blah blah and want to chat pm me .