Spayed booked...help!!

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
Sharon-Tilly

Spayed booked...help!!

Post by Sharon-Tilly » 24 Mar 2014, 21:10

We booked Tilly in to be spayed a week on Friday. I'm Sure you lovely people will have lots of good advice for me :D
ImageImage

Doodle Dee

Re: Spayed booked...help!!

Post by Doodle Dee » 24 Mar 2014, 21:51

Can I say don't worry - no I dont think I can

it will be fine. I had Lulu done at 5 months - she was a big coward and found out by squeaking she had lots of cuddles (she didn't squeak when she was cuddled). She did have a problem doing a poo - it seemed to frighten her for some reason but honest she was fine. The vet gave her a big dose of painkillers and she was fine.
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

Sharon-Tilly

Post by Sharon-Tilly » 24 Mar 2014, 22:02

Thanks, Tilly will be 5 months, and I was worried she was too young. Vet said it was good to have them done before firsts season... ?
ImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 24 Mar 2014, 22:18

Vets seem to be split on that one. I waited until my girls were fully grown as I think they need all their hormones intact until then, so they had a season and were spayed 3 months later.

My only advice post-op is to make sure they don't get at the wound. Daisy licked hers and got it infected, so her recovery took longer than it needed to.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Webbs

Post by Webbs » 25 Mar 2014, 19:29

Yes vets do seem divided as my one says they should have their first season and then have the op three months later. We did this with Willow and she was about one year old when her first season appeared so was done three months after.

No problems with her at all x

Gracie's mums

Post by Gracie's mums » 26 Mar 2014, 07:55

Hello, we are 5 days post Spey! We also went early, like everyone said it's a personal decision. Gracie was just 6 months. We are doing better than expected. We utilised our crate, moved it to the living room temporarily (can barely see the tv now! :lol: :lol: ) as it is her cue to settle and go to sleep. We figured also that as we spend most of our time there when at home it wouldn't be a punishment as she was still in the room with us. Laura and I took it in turns for 3 nights to sleep on the sofa so we were with her. She usually sleeps upstairs in our room but we wanted to avoid the stairs. She wore the bucket at night, as thankfully she would leave it alone when we told her through the day.

We used the metacam from the vets and some alternative stuff (but that's just me, I'm into all that :roll: ).
3 day vet check up advised us to stop the metacam as she was healing well and didn't seem to be in any pain. She got all her doodle energy back yesterday and managing that for the next 5 days will be the challenge as we don't want her undoing all the good work. But it stems to have healed really quickly.

We felt awful the first few days - anxiety, guilt, worry, and I was very emotional. But it does get better.

Take guidance from your vet and the others on here and you will do good.

Becky xxx
Gracie, Becky and Laura

ImageImage

Benben

Post by Benben » 03 Apr 2014, 17:01

Ursa was spayed on Monday. She was a bit dazed for a few hours, but by Tuesday afternoon she was wanting to run around as if nothing whatsoever had happened! Yesterday I took her out for two longish walks in town, staying away from our usual off-lead haunts, and working on the basis that she'd be stimulated by lots of traffic and people and other comings and goings.

Today's been a bit of a whirlwind workwise, but I'm going to take her into town again so that we can contemplate the buses... I haven't given her any drugs at all today and she is honestly in no pain at all. The only thing I have noticed is a bit of coughing caused by the irritation of her airway by the intubation for the anaesthetic. I'll give the last morphine based tab tonight, as specified, because it makes her sleepy even if she hasn't managed to expend as much doodle energy as usual.
Ursa: born 28.10.13

ImageImage

Molly/Maisie

Post by Molly/Maisie » 03 Apr 2014, 17:13

My 2 pups had their op 10 days ago, they were 5 mths 15 days , they both reacted diffently, Molly cried all night and wanted to sleep on my bed , normally sleeps in her cage ,she didn't bother with her stiches, maisy didn't cry at all slept at foot of my bed but she wouldn't leave her stiches had to put cone on which she had to keep it on until yesterday , it took 2 days for them to feel better, hard to keep them from play fighting , I'm so glad I had them done at this age, vet said she doesn't usually do it until 6 months but she checked them over and said she was happy to carry out the op , hope everything goes well

Amanda x x

rubybenronan1

Post by rubybenronan1 » 03 Apr 2014, 19:53

Hi all,

Having read different posts on here regarding spaying, it got me thinking about Nell, i read this, and decision made! waiting for her to her first season. Whats other people s view on this subject?

At what age should bitches be spayed?

Again, spaying at under six months old is becoming increasingly more common within the UK, although there are a range of problems that can potentially be caused by spaying your bitch while she is very young. As with male dogs, female dogs need to produce the T3 and T4 growth hormones that begin production alongside of impending sexual maturity, as well as oestrogen for normal development and hormone regulation. A bitch that is spayed while too young will not have had the opportunity to have begun producing oestrogen and other essential hormones, which can lead to a range of problems in later life. Urinary incontinence can result from inadequate oestrogen production, a condition that cannot be reversed and will require ongoing oestrogen supplementation for the rest of their lives; something that is of course, not ideal for many reasons.

Once your bitch has completed her first season, you should seek to have her spayed shortly afterwards .This ensures that she has reached sexual maturity before spaying, and ensures that you can calculate where she is in her oestrogen cycle to ensure that she is spayed between cycles. Spaying a bitch in heat or who is on the verge of a season is much more risky for the bitch, and veterinarians will not spay a bitch in heat unless it is an emergency.

Received wisdom used to dictate that a bitch should be allowed to have a litter before being spayed, however there is no good basis in fact for this, and your bitch will not benefit from having a litter before spaying

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 03 Apr 2014, 20:18

I am not sure - I had a female dog once and HAD to get her spayed after a while as she was making herself ill with phantom pregnancies and I cant see where this fits in with that article.

Not saying it is wrong at all but there are all sorts of equations also for other reasons to have a dog spayed.

I asked my vet and he said okay so I had Lulu done at just passed 5 months (personal reasons for her to have it done so young). I know my vet and he wouldn't have done it if he thought there was any problem.

The same thing goes for Lulu and her hips. I got her, no research, she came out for long walks, went up the stairs and now later in life she may have problems with her hips.

I hope she doesn't get anything, like urinary incontinence or hip dysplasia because of my lack of knowledge, but what is done is done and everyone has to make their own decisions of course.

Good luck when you do have her spayed, nothing worse than your dog having an op but nothing better than when they are all better again.

:D
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

Sharon-Tilly

Post by Sharon-Tilly » 03 Apr 2014, 20:35

It's the evening before the op...will let you know how it goes tomorrow :?
ImageImage

Benben

Post by Benben » 04 Apr 2014, 11:20

Ursa is five days post spay now, and seems bright as a button. When I booked the op I asked the vet the questions about hormone imbalances and growth regulation, and he said, quite categorically, that there was no problem. It is clearly the practice's preferred option, since the young vet I saw when she had a her boosters as a puppy said the same thing.

My reasons for opting for an early spay, apart from it being the vet's strong recommendation, are that I run a B&B which will be very busy during the period when she would have had her first season. I run it single handed and I really couldn't see how I would have coped with a bitch in season at a time when I'm run off my feet and where visible cleanliness is a real issue. The opinions on when is the best time are so varied that in the end it seemed to me that it was obviously the right choice for me and her. We have her post-op checkup this afternoon and I'm sure they'll be delighted with her.
Ursa: born 28.10.13

ImageImage

willow&kobi

Post by willow&kobi » 04 Apr 2014, 13:07

I have got willow booked in for the 29th of this month, she will be 6 months, ive had 4 bitches in the past and had them all done at this age, and i havent had any problems ,they may of had other problems but they were not related to them being spayed.

Sharon-Tilly

Post by Sharon-Tilly » 04 Apr 2014, 18:02

Tilly has just come home from her op. She is still a little drugged up and tired. It's the first time I've seen her looking really sad, ears down, head down bless her. The op went well and I'll keep you posted on progress.
ImageImage