Itchy Doodles

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
Bid

Itchy Doodles

Post by Bid » 03 Apr 2014, 08:51

I was talking to one of the girls running the hydro pool yesterday - she has a lab with terrible skin problems - food and environmental allergies are the cause. She's been having immunotherapy and steroids to try and control it bet even then had lost a huge amount of her coat and was constantly scratching and miserable.

She is on a new dryg now - Apoquel. After 6 weeks she has a coat, it is glossy, the scratching has stopped and she is happy and playing again. I've already menmtioned it to my friend who has Daisy's sister with horrible allergies, and thought I'd mentin it here for any pother doodles who are struggling to find a solution to their itchy allergies.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Pollydoodle

Re: Itchy Doodles

Post by Pollydoodle » 03 Apr 2014, 10:07

Thanks Bid, good idea to post it.
For some reason I had a quick look and the subject has another review too ( clearly this guy also has an agenda equally so do the giants of the pharma industry have theirs ) It is good to have two or more sides to a story. I pasted I lot of the info here should the link fail in the months ahead

http://www.theinternetpetvet.com/apoque ... edication/
Zoetis Offers a Targeted New Approach to Rapidly and Safely Stop the Cycle of Itch and Inflammation Associated with Allergic Skin Disease in Dogs

Atopic dermatitis is one of the most common allergies in dogs, affecting approximately 10 percent of the dog population. Itching caused by an allergic skin disease can be an acute, short-term condition or can be recurrent or chronic—all which can impact the quality of life for both the dog and its owner unless they are controlled with effective management.
FDA approval of APOQUEL is based on results of two clinical trials conducted in the United States which showed that APOQUEL was effective in the treatment of pruritus associated with allergic dermatitis and for the control of atopic dermatitis.

Sounds great, right?
Having treated hundreds of dogs for allergies, it is MORE than welcoming to have a drug that works to STOP the itching without all the side effects of predisone.

But be CAUTIOUS
A small study of 299 dogs- 50% of the dogs took the placebo medication, and most dropped out of the study. 66% of dogs improved on the medication, but keep in mind that means 33% (1/3) didn’t at all.

Side Effects
Health events associated with the drug were difficult to compare between groups given the low number of dogs in the placebo group at the end of the study.
The rate of adverse events overall was low (<5%) and included diarrhea, vomiting, and lethargy that resolved spontaneously in 90% of cases and did not require discontinuation of therapy. Anorexia was the only adverse event noted more often among the oclacitinib group compared with placebo (2.6% vs. 0%, respectively).
While still within reference ranges, mean serum globulin and mean white blood cell, neutrophil, eosinophil, and monocyte counts decreased among dogs in the oclacitinib group by day 14. Among dogs in the oclacitinib group, one dog withdrew from the study because of the development of severe pyoderma (after day 19) and one dog withdrew because of the development of generalized demodicosis (after day 28). Another dog required hospitalization for the diagnosis and treatment of pneumonia (after 91 days), and one dog was hospitalized for cystitis secondary to urolithiasis (after day 80 of therapy).
(Source: Cosgrove SB, Wren JA, Cleaver DM, et al. A blinded, randomized, placebo-controlled trial of the efficacy and safety of the Janus kinase inhibitor oclacitinib (Apoquel) in client-owned dogs with atopic dermatitis. Vet Dermatol 2013;24:587-597.)

Translating the above means that for the first 2 weeks of medication the most common side effects are gastro-intestinal ( vomiting/diarrhea), BUT after 2 weeks, there are measurable blood value changes.

Apoquel is suppressing the immune system, and this caused pneumonia, mange, skin infection, bladder ....

Guess could say the side effects mentioned read like the side effects on ibuprofen etc but FYI

Bid

Post by Bid » 03 Apr 2014, 14:22

Lol - you missed off the last bit of advice from Dr Jones who clearly does have an agenda! :wink: ... "Research has found an ingredient known as praline-rich polypeptide (PRP) in bovine colostrum; it appears to be what is helping decrease the allergy symptoms. The colostrum dose for dogs with allergies varies based on the company; I advise giving ¼ of the human dose per 20 lbs daily. My supplement, Ultimate Canine Health Formula contains bovine colostrum in adequate levels for your dog".... :roll:

I guess it's a matter of weighing up the pros and cons, and find what suits each dog. THe dog I met (Plum) had been suffering from the side efects of prednisone, but so far has been OK on this, but admittedly it is only 6 weeks in.

Here in Europe The Committee for Medicinal Products for Veterinary Use (CVMP) looked at 2 separate studies, and concluded that "the benefits of Apoquel exceed the risks for the approved indications and recommended that Apoquel be given marketing authorisation." I must admit though that I would only want to give it to a dog suffering extreme problems such as Raggy and Plum - as with steroids.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Pollydoodle

Post by Pollydoodle » 04 Apr 2014, 10:31

Don't ,lol, I was already :oops: :oops: for even posting as much as I did :roll: like you it would be something I would look at if desperate situation,same as no one wants to give steroids unless really needed.
Going back under my rock :)

Florrie!

Post by Florrie! » 12 Apr 2014, 22:16

I was interested when I saw this when Bid first posted as Florrie's allergies had been pretty well controlled until a couple of weeks ago. I first noticed her skin was more crusty and flaky than usual for her and her ear flaps were really red and sore. She became really miserable too and not herself and seemed to be uncomfortable, I immediately increased her Piriton but noticed no real improvement.
I read about the Apoquel on here, later on the same day the vet rang me to discuss how Florrie was doing, and lo and behold she mentioned Apoquel too! I'm a bit reluctant as it is so new and also are they just trying to sell me a new product? The problem with Florrie, is she can't have steroids, Atopica is unaffordable long term and also has horrendous side effects, so this doesn't leave many options left. Apoquel may be the only thing that may help.

I was advised by the vet to spray Cortavance on Florrie's ears and they are now much better. The only problem now is she has started being sick hours after eating and usually after drinking. She has recently had Laryngitis again but the coughing has stopped for a few weeks but she's not herself still. The vets are concerned that she has inflammation in her gut possibly related to her previous Pyloric Stenosis or that she has a blockage as she has delayed gastric emptying. She's bringing up undigested food, hours after eating which is what happened before. She's still pooing normally and is still eating and drinking but is very unsettled. Shes barking, whining and pacing ALOT to the point where I have to sometimes shut her in her bed to settle her down, she then curls up tight and goes to sleep. Shes not happy at all, the vet gave her a powerful anti-sickness injection on Wednesday evening which worked weds and thurs but then yesterday she was sick again. She's also got antacids 3 times daily to try and settle things.
I'm not sure if the flare up of her allergies is related to the vomiting or if it's her throat again or her guts. Who knows with Florrie! If theres no improvement on Monday then shes going to have to go in for imaging to see whats going on and possible surgery. The vet still wants to try Apoquel but we can't whilst Florrie is sick as a side effect can be vomiting and diarrhoea.

I really hope things settle soon as my poor Florrie doodles is not a happy girl, on a plus side she wants lots of cuddles and attention at the moment which is nice.

Tasha

Florrie Lorrie

Bid

Post by Bid » 12 Apr 2014, 23:59

That interesting - we also use Cortevance on Daisy's ears - she gets it syringed into the ear rather than sprayed on, and it is the only thing that has worked long term. Hope you can get her settled soon - maybe the Apoquel is worth a try anyway - Plum isn't experiencing any of the side effects so far!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 07 May 2015, 17:46

I've just been googling about Apoquel and this has come up. I know Raggle's owner uses it successfully and was wondering if anyone else did.

My vet is trying to get hold of it for Murphy as his allergy tests have come back with him being allergic to virtually all types of grass, various trees and dustmites. He currently has loads of spots on his tummy which get infected which are apparently caused by his allergies. I've tried Piriton but it's not working.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 07 May 2015, 21:08

I was talking about it with my vet today - he said Daisy could have a short course if her allergy flares up again and that it is now readily available. Plum - the dog I originally spoke about has been on it for over a year so far and is thriving.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 07 May 2015, 21:20

That's good. My vet seems to think vets are allocated a set number of tablets each month, she thinks Murphy will need two tablets three times a day initially but she can only get 50 tablets a month, but has said I can have them as soon as possible and we'll see how he gets on. Apparently they've missed the allocation for this month but should get some soon. I just want Murphy spot free!!

From what I've read these should be ok with his epilepsy meds. Poor dog is going to rattle soon!

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 27 May 2015, 17:12

Finally got hold of Apoquel. We are going away this weekend so I think I will wait and give it to him when we get back on Monday just in case he has any side effects.

Bid

Post by Bid » 27 May 2015, 22:10

Fingers crossed! Raggy is itch-free so far this summer with it.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk

Florrie!

Post by Florrie! » 31 May 2015, 10:03

I haven't posted for a while but I do still check in every now and then to see how things are.

Florrie is now on Apoquel and has been for a few months. These past few months have been amazing, she's so happy and full of energy, her coat looks better and she's not been poorly with infections. We did have to reduce her dosage by half because she reacted in the same way to steroids and began eating everything again. Once we reduced her dosage this stopped but the drug has still been effective for her.

She past 2 weeks she's gone down with a skin and ear infection. This has coincided with the changes in the weather so is probably allergy related. She's on a 3 week course of Noroclav for the skin and Surolan eardrops. We will then consider whether to risk increasing the Apoquel again once she's finished the meds for infection.

With the Apoquel, she hasn't been itchy at all and her paws aren't sore. Her skin has still always been crusty, dry and flaky. This hasn't changed with the Apoquel but everything else has improved so it's worth it.

Florrie turned 5 on Thursday and has more energy now than she's ever had, her confidence has increased a little and she's so loving and affectionate. She's also had to go a slight diet as she's put weight on lately! She's always been fed the same amount of food, lately she's more active and healthy than ever and yet she's put weight on! I think it could be her age what do others think? She's been on slightly reduced amount of food for 4 weeks nearly and she's lost a little bit of weight so I'm happy.

I was wondering how many others have experience of using Apoquel, what dosage you're using compared to your dogs weight and what have the benefits and side effects been?

Hope every one else on here is doing well

Tasha

Florrie Lorrie

Bid

Post by Bid » 31 May 2015, 12:47

That's good news for Florrie! :D :D

Raggle has been on Apoquel for 4 months now - she has had no side effects, but I'm not sure what dose she is on - I will enquire.

Are you still using the cortevance for Florrie? I dropped it down to once a fortnight with Daze and her right ear flared up again having been clear for over a year, so we are back to once a week, (Her left ear has been bad for over a year now though - another pseudomonas infection that we are struggling to clear)
www.dogtrekker.co.uk

Florrie!

Post by Florrie! » 31 May 2015, 16:05

Hi Bid.

I don't really use cortevance on Florrie unless she gets hotspots on her skin or her ear flaps flare up.
I found that the less I used ear cleaners the better her ears were. This is the first ear infection shes had since I last posted in this thread (april 2014) and in that time I haven't used eardrops or cleaners unless her ears became smelly or overly waxy which has only been a handful of times.

Glad to hear Raggle is getting on ok with Apoquel it would be interesting to see what dosage they are using.

Poor Daisy, I hope you manage to get her ear infection under control again. I remember when Florrie had an awful infection that went on for months it was horrible not being able to make her better. What options does Daisy have treatment wise? Do they know why she get pseudonomas infections? I hope shes feeling ok in herself though and keeping up with Poppy and Beamish!

Florrie Lorrie

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 01 Jun 2015, 08:06

That's a good review of Apoquel! I'm waiting to hear from my vet this morning as to whether I can start the Apoquel as I only have enough for 12 days so they told me to wait until I hear from them to make sure they can get me more, as he needs a loading dose of two tablets twice a day for two weeks, then down to two tablets once a day, he's 25kg.

So sorry Daisy's ears are bad again, hopefully you can get them sorted soon. Could hers be allergy related?