possible megaesophagus

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
stout

Re: possible megaesophagus

Post by stout » 23 Apr 2014, 18:56

Its good to hear she has not been sick. Let's hope they get to the bottom of it tomorrow. Stout was a bit sore after his, fingers crossed florrie doesn't have the same :cry: . Keep us updated. Give her a big cuddle from us, and a big hug to you too :D
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

MrsAdmin

Post by MrsAdmin » 24 Apr 2014, 00:41

I'm so sorry to see that Florrie is poorly again, sweet little girlie.

Yes, when I collected Oscar, who had megasophagus, he was sick a lot at first, mostly runny bile and not necessarily any sign of sickness coming.

What I did for the week or so I had him was to feed him wetted down kibble very gently, a little at a time, with him perching his paws on my knees whilst I sat on a low stool, so his stomach was stretched, then restricted water for a little while after food so he didn't sick it straight back up.

He went into foster for a long time but did improve greatly and ended up with an owner devoted to him. Not bad for a little pup due to be pts that morning.

So never give as there is always a way and hope for Florrie.
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 24 Apr 2014, 15:28

Hope you've had some positive news today.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Florrie!

Post by Florrie! » 25 Apr 2014, 21:37

Florrie had her endoscopy and x-rays yesterday and we now know what the problem is. She is having a severe flare up of her oesophagitis due to a vomiting episode. We're not sure what caused the initial vomiting or reflux but this has burnt away her mucosa lining which is now severely ulcerated. So ulcerated in fact that the vet was unable to get the endoscope past into the top of the stomach. The vet said it looks really nasty and its no wonder florries been so unsettled and having repeat vomiting and reflux episodes.

The plan of action now is to keep on daily with the omeprazole which the vet has now doubled her dose of, she is also to keep having the liquid antepsin 3 x daily however there is a nationwide supply issue with sourcing antepsin so at the
moment florrie is on it 2 x daily to try and stretch it out possible. The only thing is, shes to stay on these meds for at least a month to settle things down however the vets practice only had 50ml left of antepsin to give me. There are tablets she could have but they arent as effective as they wont coat the throat and areas of ulceration to protect them.

Florrie Lorrie

Florrie!

Post by Florrie! » 25 Apr 2014, 21:47

Sorry, had issues with my phone hence continuing my reply here.

Florrie also has a nasty skin infection so the vet gave her an amtibiotic injection which will treat the skin but also ensure that none of the ulcers become infected. I also have some more anti sickness tablets to give her in case she vomits again and its the eweekend or the vets are closed.

Florrie is feeling very sorry for herself and is very cuddly and quiet. Hopefully we can get this back under control. She hasnt had ongoing issues with vomiting for 2 years so really hoping we can get her back to how she was.

My poor doodles. Shes such a good girl though and the vet was admiring her strength and resilience. He couldnt believe how good she was yesterday and how well she gets on with being poorly. Hoping to have my happy, bouncy florrie back soon.

Florrie Lorrie

suebedo

Post by suebedo » 25 Apr 2014, 22:02

Poor Florrie, I really feel for her. I had suffered from Acid reflux for many years before discovering the magic of omeprazole. On the rare occasions that I get the symptoms now, it is unbearable and I suffer the whole of the next morning where my throat has been so irritated. How I lived with it for so many years is a mystery now! Poor Florrie has so many other things on top to contend with - doodles are amazing, they just get on with life, still giving us love. Get well soon Florrie xx

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 25 Apr 2014, 22:13

I do feel for you and Florrie

hopefully she will be more comfortable soon
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

stout

Post by stout » 25 Apr 2014, 23:06

Poor florrie, I am glad you have an answer. Its really frustrating that these things just flare up without warning and so you can't do anything to prevent it. It must be so sore, I know how uncomfortable stout was with his stomach ulcers. Fingers crossed the drugs get working quickly so she will be feeling herself again soon. Stout was on antepcin too, bit of a worry there is a shortage, it seems to be very effective.

Big get well soon hugs to florrie, and hugs to you too.
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 28 Apr 2014, 07:56

Poor Florrie, but hopefully the medication can cure it xx

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Florrie!

Post by Florrie! » 01 May 2014, 12:22

I had to speak to the vet to update hime on Florries progress on Tuesday. I told him how well she had been doing and that she had not vomited at all since her tests. Think I cursed her though because Tuesday afternoon, Florrie had diarrhoea then vomited. There was loads and she was retching for ages to bring it all up. I gave her our last anti-sickness tablet I had for her which prevented further vomiting but since Tuesday she keeps coughing everytime she drinks.

Her skin is still really bad, its scabby, black, flaky and just generally not great. Shes now also getting it on her belly which she doesnt usually have. I spoke to the vet and hes going to give her another injection.for her skin next week at her follow up appointment.

All in all Florrie is much happier in herself but is still waking me up every night whining and crying so we've changed her meds routine a little so she is having an omeprazole each morning and another each night so that shes not getting too much acid build up overnight which should make her more comfortable.

Shes still got a long way to go until shes back to normal but hopefully we're getting there.

Tasha

Florrie Lorrie

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 01 May 2014, 22:45

all fingers crossed (and paws) for Florrie
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

stout

Post by stout » 02 May 2014, 18:26

Poor florrie. I hope she is continuing to get better and her skin settles soon. Big hugs to you both
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics: