Bailey as eaten a sock

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
Lee312

Bailey as eaten a sock

Post by Lee312 » 27 May 2014, 13:23

Hi all , Bailey decided it was time to pinch a sock but instead of doing his usual run round the garden and being chased he decided to eat it. Been to the vets and they advised to monitor him for the next few days , if he stops eating or starts vomiting then to take him back in. Just wondered if anyone else as had their doodle do this and if they passed it naturally.
Image. Lee & Bailey

Nicky

Re: Bailey as eaten a sock

Post by Nicky » 27 May 2014, 14:29

Dexter ate various items of clothing over the years, socks, pants, etc all passed through okay.. X

suebedo

Post by suebedo » 27 May 2014, 16:54

Fozzie is a big sock stealer but we have been lucky and they've all gone through him. I know other people have not been as lucky and objects such as socks have had to be removed surgically.

My friend had a Doberman who repeated ate things - they tried everything to keep him safe when they were out but he ate the carpet at one point. In the end he had to be put to sleep as his bowel and colon was so badly damaged.

Bid

Post by Bid » 27 May 2014, 18:37

Fingers crossed it passes through OK. We've all been on poo watch at some time or other - there was one famous incident on here when a sock took 3 weeks to reappear! :lol:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 27 May 2014, 19:20

I said there was mischief in those eyes!! :D
Ianto has eaten parts of walking sock... it takes an amazingly long time for them to fully transit... :shock: Our vet told us the same as yours... watch and wait, check that they're eating normally and not vomiting, etc. Good Luck on pooh watch! Hope all goes well. One thing about our doods, they make us much tidier!
Anne & Ianto x

Alfieandlindsey

Post by Alfieandlindsey » 27 May 2014, 19:23

No socks here but I've waited for a Lego head to pass through once. My son was gutted when I refused to pick it out, wash it and return it to his toy box!!!! Urghhhh

Lindsey and Alfie x

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 27 May 2014, 19:47

Alfieandlindsey wrote:No socks here but I've waited for a Lego head to pass through once. My son was gutted when I refused to pick it out, wash it and return it to his toy box!!!! Urghhhh
I think my son would've been gutted if I had! :lol:
Anne & ianto x

roza

Post by roza » 27 May 2014, 20:53

Lee312 wrote:Hi all , Bailey decided it was time to pinch a sock but instead of doing his usual run round the garden and being chased he decided to eat it. Been to the vets and they advised to monitor him for the next few days , if he stops eating or starts vomiting then to take him back in. Just wondered if anyone else as had their doodle do this and if they passed it naturally.
Roza has just polished off one quarter of a roll of wallpaper & part of the cover from Carols library book

Lee312

Post by Lee312 » 27 May 2014, 22:28

Thank you all for your replies , I will let everyone know how Bailey gets ok.
Image. Lee & Bailey

Molly/Maisie

Post by Molly/Maisie » 28 May 2014, 09:31

Maisy ate half a tea towel when she was 10 weeks and it passed over a couple of days ,

Amanda

Lee312

Post by Lee312 » 31 May 2014, 07:55

:D :D :D good news , Bailey finally decided to return the sock last night, this morning he looked at us and thought so where is my treat for giving it back ! .
Image. Lee & Bailey

Bid

Post by Bid » 31 May 2014, 08:21

Phew! :D :D
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

suebedo

Post by suebedo » 31 May 2014, 08:36

Yay! Big relief!!

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 31 May 2014, 08:37

Yay!!!! I was loo watching a month or so ago when Murphy ate a glove whilst on a doodle meet. It came out about three or four days later!

Bid, my heart pounds every time I see your name on the health section, I worry that Daisy has had another fit. I assume so far all is ok with her?

Wendy x

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom » 31 May 2014, 21:20

Im so glad all came out in the end ok. I had a Shih-tzu that ate everything pajamas socks undies galore jeans you name it. I was.on permanent poop watch with her because she was so bad she would knock over the laundry hampers to get at the clothes and if she could get it open by knocking it over she would eat the hamper I had five teenage girls and a 6 yr old it was so hard to keep everthing away from her. I finally had to rehome her she was 7 years old and no signs of stopping i couldn't afford to replace all the clothes she would eat constantly. It was awful I never had another dog that ever would eat clothing and ive always had at least three dogs at all times. She was the only dog that did that. Even my pitbull never chewed or ate clothes and they are known for their destructiveness. But he was great after he grew out of the teething stage. I always make sure the dogs have lot of chews and toys during that time and they are good as long as they know what theirs and whats not.