Lucy doodle update

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
mizmaz

Lucy doodle update

Post by mizmaz » 23 Jun 2014, 22:57

Hello all..
So, we had Lucy's post op check on Saturday. The results showed it is a grade 2 mast cell tumour. (3 is worst). It was decided that further tests are needed to establish how far it had spread and then necessary treatment.
Today I spoke to a senior vet who felt that the tests booked were a little excessive. So they were cancelled. I came home to a message saying that actually he was booking in tests and results would take up to 2 weeks. I'm confused as to what tests are being done so will call asap to clarify.
Lucy is being an absolute star! She is healing beautifully and is pretty much back to her crazy self. We are all looking forward to the 'grand cone removal' as our legs cannot take much more punishment!! We still can not walk her and it feels like cruelty to put her lead on to go in the garden!
I'm considering having her coat cut,partly because the vet said it may be causing her unrelated itching but also because we can see how dense her coat is now she has a bald patch! She is a 'scruffy' so I'm told. Is it usual to have scruffy doods cut? Until she came to us she wasn't ever groomed so I guess shes never been cut.
I just want her to be comfortable.

I just wanted to say thank you all so so much for your lovely messages and the positiveness you all sent Lucy. We all still have everything crossed that things will be OK. Lucy is being spoilt rotten and is loving every second!!

Mandie.xx

Bid

Re: Lucy doodle update

Post by Bid » 23 Jun 2014, 23:10

How confusing - tests cancelled, then booked again - sounds like senior vet and junior vet have had words! I'm sorry the results were not clear, but it's good that it's not the worst it could be. These doods are amazing the way they bounce back after an op, and it's lovely to hear that Lucy is being a star about it all - fingers crossed for the test results and that further treatment is straightforward.

My scruffies get trimmed - I clipped Daisy at the weekend as she was getting too hot and she's been springing about the place ever since - they love it when they are newly cut!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 24 Jun 2014, 06:56

we wait for the next step and so please it aint the "wors" anyway.

Lulu is a scruffy and she is getting cut on Monday - she is too hot and cant really be bothered (unless it is as night when it is cooler else I would be worried)

Licks and hugs to both of you
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

swardie

Post by swardie » 24 Jun 2014, 07:13

Mandie, at least you know now, although it couldn't have been easy for you. Dex and I are keeping everything crossed for you, and Dex is sending one of his special snugs. X

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 24 Jun 2014, 07:58

Still keeping everything crossed for you. X

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

scooby Dood

Post by scooby Dood » 24 Jun 2014, 08:07

At least we now know where Lucy is going and hopefully the treatment will start soon so she can get better. My view regarding uncertainty with tests, treatment etc is to write down the questions you wish to ask and then ask them . Don't be fobbed off and persist until,younger the answers you are looking for.. Scooby has a wavy scruffy coat and she is brushed regularly. We are having her trimmed today as her coat is quite thick. This should also make her feel more comfortable in the heat. The three of us will be thinking of you and keeping all our fingers crossed.
Scooby Dood, Andrea & Kerry

pixie's mum

Post by pixie's mum » 24 Jun 2014, 09:04

My scruffy girl is clipped very short on a number 3 and my wavy girl on a number 5. It all grows back in 6 weeks so don't worry
Hope she is ok will be watching this thread
Doodle licks to you all
ImageImage
ImageImage

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 25 Jun 2014, 01:20

Mandie,

Oh no, I don't know what to say... it seems so unfair.

Do you have insurance for Lucy? There was another rescue dood on the forum with a similar condition (Oscar Green, I think?) whose insurance company allowed his policy to pass from his previous owners to his new family, which meant he was covered.

Thankfully Lucy doesn't know about all the worry and stress her illness is causing you, and is carrying on being "happy as a Doodle"... :D Our lovely doods live in the moment and are saved the fears for the future that we have to suffer.

I know that it's easier said than done, but try to focus on the enjoyment she is bringing to you and your family whilst you wait for the results of the tests. Everything crossed for you and your beautiful Lucydoodle -

Anne & Ianto xx

poppygreen

Post by poppygreen » 25 Jun 2014, 06:44

Hi, yes it was Oscar Green who's insurance got passed on, he came through the Doodle Trust, so we were put in touch with the previous owners because the Mast cell was discovered a week after we got him. The Trust would have also helped out if needed. Tesco's pet insurance were very helpful. Oscar is having ongoing treatment and just getting on with enjoying his new life with us and Poppy. Love and Blessings to you.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 25 Jun 2014, 10:28

Hi Mizmaz,
Just caught up on this thread; thoughts and doodle licks are with you and Lucy.
Everything crossed she comes out the other side ok.
Please keep us posted if you get a chance, cos I'm sure we'll all be thinking about you.
Jo and Jasper
xxx

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 25 Jun 2014, 22:35

Love and blessings to Oscar Green too, poppydoodle, hope everything is going well -
love,
Anne & Ianto xx