Advice - New Puppy Sick

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
Sasha & Pluto

Advice - New Puppy Sick

Post by Sasha & Pluto » 06 Aug 2014, 11:54

Hiya, I'm after some advice please. My friend bought home a cockapoo puppy on Sunday, he's 11wks old. But he has been sick with diarrhea ever since. The vet has now taken him in for 24hrs, but my friend has also been sick since she got him, coincidence or same bug?
Sasha & Pluto

ImageImage[/url]

Cocochanel

Re: Advice - New Puppy Sick

Post by Cocochanel » 06 Aug 2014, 13:37

Aww bless him.
If I were you I would get your friend to contact the breeder and check if there were any viruses etc going around the litter and ask if he's been vaccinated also.

Sasha & Pluto

Post by Sasha & Pluto » 06 Aug 2014, 16:05

He'd had his 1st injection already then went to the vets on Monday to have his 2nd injection. Hopefully it is just a bug and he will be ok. I just thought it was weird that my friend was also vomiting as well as the pup. But no-one else in the family is sick
Sasha & Pluto

ImageImage[/url]

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 06 Aug 2014, 16:40

Oh, poor little soul! But he is now in the right hands and getting the treatment that he needs - hope he is soon feeling better.

There are so many things that can cause this - I know that there is something called Giardia (?) that can infect dogs and humans although someone more expert in these matters should be along soon to give you a better idea... Has the vet done any tests? I'm guessing that your friend has been the one nominated to look after the results of the poor little lad's illness... everyone loves a puppy, no so many a 'poorly' one! This may be the reason that it is only affecting your friend.

Hopefully, the breeder and/or your friend have a good insurance policy taken out on him as the expense of 24 hours on a drip can mount up pretty quickly. Has Pluto been in contact with the pup? Is he okay?

Sending best wishes for a speedy recovery to both puppy and human -
Anne & Ianto x

Sasha & Pluto

Post by Sasha & Pluto » 06 Aug 2014, 18:56

Thanks Ann :D no Pluto hasn't been introduced yet as I wanted Milo to settle into his new home first.
I've just spoken to my friend and he hasn't been sick or had diarrhea since being with the vets. It's going to cost £300 for the 24hr stay, but she got 4wks free pet insurance with petplan, just hope it covers it.
Sasha & Pluto

ImageImage[/url]

Bid

Post by Bid » 06 Aug 2014, 20:20

Poor little pup - they usually pick up pretty quickly once on a drip. Fingers crossed it is just a tummy upset.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

swardie

Post by swardie » 06 Aug 2014, 20:27

Aw, guys, keeping everything crossed for a good outcome. Please let us know how it goes. X

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 06 Aug 2014, 22:03

Good news for little Milo! And Pluto. Hopefully your friend is feeling better too...
Thankfully the breeder is someone who cares enough to look out for their puppies. I have a life cover policy with P.P. for Ianto. It's worth looking into...
Things can only get better now, little Milo, you have a loving family and a whole new life to look forward to -
Anne & Ianto x

Sasha & Pluto

Re: UPDATE Advice - New Puppy Sick

Post by Sasha & Pluto » 07 Aug 2014, 13:58

Thanks for your well wishes.

Milo is back home with my friend running around, the vet said it was probably caused by stress, aniexty and the heat (he is a black puppy)
I will be introducing Pluto to him next weekend. Pluto 30kg Milo 3.3kgs, should be interesting :D
Sasha & Pluto

ImageImage[/url]

Bid

Post by Bid » 07 Aug 2014, 16:15

Good news - thanks for the update! :D
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 07 Aug 2014, 19:19

Great news! I hope your friend is recovering too.
When Ianto met his little sister, he was so gentle :D It was her beating him up (well, hanging onto his ears and running off with his favourite toy!) :lol:
Anne & Ianto x

Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom » 07 Aug 2014, 19:29

Just saw this thread so glad puppy feeling better. I'd love to see some pictures of Pluto and puppy playing maybe even a video. :D