Do you still vaccinate?

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general

Do you still vaccinate?

Yes
No votes
No
No votes

Total votes: 0

susieQ

Do you still vaccinate?

Post by susieQ » 25 Feb 2015, 10:13

Hi all, haven't posted for ages, but I lurk around the edges all the time!

I've made up my mind on this hot debate, but was curious as to other doodle owners.
Sue

Bid

Re: Do you still vaccinate?

Post by Bid » 25 Feb 2015, 17:27

It won't let me respond to the question, but I really should reply Yes & No anyway! I titre test mine for the core vaccines. If they didn't have immunity then I would vaccinate, and you can't get single vaccines in this country so they would have to have the whole lot.

Lepto isn't counted as one of the core vaccines and it only lasts a year. The vet has said that we are at high risk of that, being rural, so I do give them that vaccine - I'm not happy doing that but can't quite bring myself to leave them unprotected.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Manda64

Post by Manda64 » 25 Feb 2015, 22:04

Said my vote was invalid! :(
YES
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Glenda

Post by Glenda » 25 Feb 2015, 22:17

I tried to vote and couldn't.

I didn't vaccinate our three last year. Dooley has epilepsy, I don't put any chemicals on him and I decided not to vaccinate - rightly or wrongly, I really don't know? Deano had an auto immune disease last year and his vet didn't want him to have his booster until it was all cleared up... it has, thankfully, but again I couldn't do it and I decided against Jessie having her booster too. I asked our vet if they titre tested and he said they didn't because it was too expensive - I would have had it done if they did.

Having said that, if one, two or all were to catch one of the said diseases, I would have to live with myself for not vaccinating...

What I really wanted was to give them all a break from vaccinations and I'll have to think again when they are
due this year. There is so much to read on the internet about this and I decided on a break.
ImageImage

ImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 25 Feb 2015, 22:42

The vets don't do the titre test, all they have to do is take the blood and send it off. The lab our vets use (Glasgow university) charge around £40, so it's not hugely expensive.

Vaccicheck is the cheaper alternative, but the vets have to buy in a batch so would need a lot of customers wanting it, so perhaps that is what your vets were talking about Glenda.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Glenda

Post by Glenda » 26 Feb 2015, 22:07

Bid wrote:The vets don't do the titre test, all they have to do is take the blood and send it off. The lab our vets use (Glasgow university) charge around £40, so it's not hugely expensive.

Vaccicheck is the cheaper alternative, but the vets have to buy in a batch so would need a lot of customers wanting it, so perhaps that is what your vets were talking about Glenda.
Thanks Bid :) and you could well be right. I've not heard of Vaccicheck but I'll read up on it and then talk to our
vet.
ImageImage

ImageImage

susieQ

Post by susieQ » 03 Mar 2015, 12:36

There was probably a problem with the voting as I changed my email, it should be ok now.

I had Rosie Titer tested. I have decided against the lepto vaccine as well as it's the worst of the lot, done a lot of reading up on it so hopefully I've made an informed choice, but I understand anyone not wanting to take the risk of leaving it.

For anyone reading up on this, Dr Ray Schultz has written a lot about it. A very emotive subject!
Sue and Rosie

swardie

Post by swardie » 03 Mar 2015, 18:40

It is indeed an emotive subject! Did you have your children vaccinated?

susieQ

Post by susieQ » 04 Mar 2015, 12:31

I would add that I would ALWAYS have a puppy vaccinated plus the first year's booster.

I'm not going to enter into a debate as it took me a LOT of research on qualified vets' sites before I made up my mind. I was just curious as to others actions, but don't want to answer uninformed questions.
Sue and Rosie

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 04 Mar 2015, 15:59

swardie wrote:It is indeed an emotive subject! Did you have your children vaccinated?
Whatever people decide to do is done with what they consider to be in the best interests of their own pet (or child). :D

I personally have Ted vaccinated every year but if I'm honest I'm not completely happy with the decision.

I thought that they had to be up to date with vaccinations for their insurance to be valid?

Coco and Annie

Post by Coco and Annie » 04 Mar 2015, 18:19

With Pet Plan, the insurance is valid for general conditions if you don't vaccinate. They just don't cover for the actual illnesses which the vaccines cover, should your pet be out-of-date with their vaccination schedule.

Annie, Coco and Yoshi
X

Bid

Post by Bid » 04 Mar 2015, 22:38

These days most vets don't give all the vaccinations every every year - they ususally give lepto every year, and the others every 3 years. There is a table you can look up the code they put in the card to see exactly what they have had

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... sedDog.pdf
www.dogtrekker.co.uk

Maisy12

Post by Maisy12 » 05 Mar 2015, 12:49

Hi, it said my vote was invalid, my answer is yes. Maisy has her annual booster every year at the vets that covers DHPPi (Distemper, Canine Adenovirus (Hepatitis), Canine Parvovirus, Parainfluenza, plus
Lepto 2 which covers Leptospira (2 varieties) plus she has the Kennel cough vaccination up her nose.
ImageImage
Claire & Maisy

Chelsea2

Post by Chelsea2 » 05 Mar 2015, 14:31

No. Most of my guys have only had their puppy vacs.

Pollydoodle

Post by Pollydoodle » 06 Mar 2015, 00:11

Yes and no. With lepto now is even more of a quandary as now the vets are saying upgrade now with vacc Lepto 4. With more cases apparently being reported... Now i wonder if to get only Lepto 2 or go all the way with Lepto 4 :?