crate sores?

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
Immi

crate sores?

Post by Immi » 13 Mar 2015, 20:16

Hi folks, been a while since I last posted, hope everyone's doing ok. We've just got home from four nights at Center Parcs, and picked Immi up from a doggy daycare/home-boarding place just outside our village. There are a few things that have occurred which I am very unhappy about, and would like to hear your thoughts on the matter.

Firstly, the easywalk harness which I use on Immi was incorrectly used, resulting in armpit sores for Immi, and the business owner was unable to walk her using it because Immi pulled (because it hadn't been fitted properly, even though I showed them twice.) So, rather than contact me, the business owner took it upon herself to use half-choke collars on her - of which I massively disapprove. This resulted in a nasty mat that I had to brush out on her neck, and Immi initially flinching as I touched her neck. Lots of treats and gentle handling seems to have helped resolve that matter.

Secondly, and perhaps most importantly, Immi has come back with classical crate-sores on her elbows and hind feet that I did not initially notice when we picked her up, as she was her usual frenetic self when she hasn't seen the family for any length of time - plus they were covered by her coat. But she began to worry at these areas later at home, after a deep sleep, so I investigated and found the sores. To the best of my knowledge it takes quite a while of being kept in poor conditions to develop these sorts of sores. Usually in unpadded crates for a great deal of time. So, in a period of five days/four nights, how much time do you think she's been cooped up in an unpadded crate? Oh yeah, and I did provide them with decent padded bedding, which doesn't appear to have been used.
Gav & Becks.

Liz!!

Re: crate sores?

Post by Liz!! » 13 Mar 2015, 23:21

I would take photos and her to the vet now, to get it logged, and then send a complaint- perhaps to any organisation that the place belongs to as well as the actual place she stayed?

This is outrageous, poor dog.
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 13 Mar 2015, 23:38

have you used these people before

I expect if you ask them about it they will deny it

Other than a proper complaint I am not sure what you can do but they obviously did not treat Immi in the correct way, seeing you were paying them to look after your dog, she shouldn't have come back in any condition other than healthy and happy

I wish her better and would never take her there again and perhaps look at any reviews if there are any on the kennels (or her if it is home boarding)
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

Immi

Post by Immi » 14 Mar 2015, 00:50

Liz, I absolutely agree, it is outrageous. I took photos as soon as I saw the sores, and will get her to the vet tomorrow morning. I'll take whatever action he deems necessary and appropriate. At the very least I will be having harsh words with the business owner and request that she cover veterinary fees. Going by standardized grading, the sores are a grade two, which are relatively simple to treat providing she doesn't lick too much. I dread to think what they would be had we been away longer.

We researched the place and have met other dog owners who regularly use their services. The purpose built day care centre looks fab, they post regular videos and pics on Facebook and their own website. The facilities and space the dogs have are awesome. But, I can't say I know what happens after hours. It is meant to be home boarding, but I now suspect she was just put in an uncushioned crate for hours over night. Everything seemed positive, but appearances can obviously be deceiving.

I feel so awful for my poor girl. She's been so quiet, and so incredibly sleepy. She seems utterly exhausted. Immi is usually a loud, bouncy and vibrant character, a typical highly spirited doodle. I want my dog back!
Gav & Becks.

Immi

Re: crate sores? *pics added*

Post by Immi » 14 Mar 2015, 19:31

We visited our vet this morning, who certainly believes these are pressure sores. Thankfully there is no infection and the damage is restricted to the upper layers of skin. We have some steroid and antibiotic cream to apply twice daily. All being well she'll heal up within a couple of weeks. I've attached some photos of the 6 ulcers:

If anyone in north Wales who would like to know the name of the daycare/home-boarding business and owner so they can keep clear of it, feel free to PM me. I'm not going to post it publicly (much as I'd like to name and shame) due to legal reasons.

We shall be reporting the incident to the Dog Walker's Association of which she is a member, and the British Kennel and Cattery Association, as well as the RSPCA. We will also be asking for the owner of the business to cover Immi's veterinary fees.
Gav & Becks.

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 14 Mar 2015, 20:24

Oh Gav & Becks, poor Immi! How could anyone do this? You must be devastated... But, she is home now - and must be so relieved. Please don't blame yourselves, you weren't to know and have made sure that she has now received the right treatment... Dogs live in the moment, so hopefully she will soon forget those few days and be happy and healthy with her loving family.

I once arrived early to pick my Yorkie up from kennels - she was encrusted with pooh, and all her bedding was drenched... I was too shocked to do anything but get out of there with her as soon as possible (leaving her coat and other stuff behind in my rush...) You are doing exactly what I should have done. I hope some kind of action can be taken against them to prevent this happening to another dog...

Gentle hugs to Immi, get well soon little girl -
Anne, Ianto & Wyre xx

Sarahdol75

Post by Sarahdol75 » 14 Mar 2015, 23:39

Oh no your poor baby, at least you have got her home and sorting it out, wish her a speedy recovery.
ImageImage

Pollydoodle

Post by Pollydoodle » 15 Mar 2015, 00:33

Lost for words :( Terrible. Trust you have already registered your initial disgust and upset with the business owner. Wonder if the owners were even there
Makes me wonder if she was walked at all (sorry don't wish to distress you further ) and half choke used to toilet her.

Where did you say you lived?

Wishing Immi lots of peaceful rest and quick recovery.

Bid

Post by Bid » 15 Mar 2015, 10:24

Poor Immi :(

I home board, and the dogs that stay with me are treated exactly as my own dogs are apart from any special requests from the owners. I have a collie on my lap at this very moment making typing very difficult!

If any owner found sores on a dog that stayed here I would firstly be mortified, and secondly offer to pay for the vet bills without needing to be asked - I have insurance for just that reason!

Re the elbows - Daisy has hardening matches on her elbows which did look sore at first. It is because although we have beds and sleeping mats all over the place as well a the sofa, Daisy prefers the hard floor to lie on. That is just Daisy though.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Helen & Rigby

Post by Helen & Rigby » 15 Mar 2015, 18:21

Oh that's so sad :(

Feel better soon Immi.

I hope you manage to sort it to your satisfaction xx
ImageImage

Immi

Post by Immi » 16 Mar 2015, 11:13

Thanks for all the well wishes!

Thought I'd update. Immi is doing well, and is getting there in returning to her usual self. Although she remains a little bit more subdued than normal for her. The sores have scabbed over and are healing, albeit slower than hoped due to her licking. But our vet does not recommend the use of a cone for the fear it will distress her more, and the simple fact that she just doesn't tolerate them very well. I'm with her virtually 24 hours a day, so I just continue to dissuade her from licking by providing more tempting chews and treats. One strange thing is that she has been howling, wimpering and growling in her sleep, whereas she normally makes happy noises as she dreams. She's been pining for her usual long walks, but the sores on her feet will have to heal more before she gets them.

Regarding our progress with the doggy-daycare business owner, things are not quite so good. The owner has been quite unhelpful and rude, and has threatened to contact her solicitor over defamation. In turn, we have reported her to the RSPCA and have made an official complaint to the local council licensing department. The RSPCA, at this moment, have simply logged the complaint on the system, and will await the results of the council's investigation before taking further action.

I'm having to restrain myself from flaming the Facebook page and naming and shaming on social media and public forums. But please, if anyone would like the name of the north Wales based business so that they can avoid it, feel free to send me a private message.
Bid wrote: If any owner found sores on a dog that stayed here I would firstly be mortified, and secondly offer to pay for the vet bills without needing to be asked - I have insurance for just that reason!
This is precisely what I would do under the same circumstances, and we have, quite frankly, been shocked by the behaviour of the business owner. She has denied all knowledge of the sores (which sums up her negligence IMO) and instead blamed me - go figure!
Bid wrote: Re the elbows - Daisy has hardening matches on her elbows which did look sore at first. It is because although we have beds and sleeping mats all over the place as well a the sofa, Daisy prefers the hard floor to lie on. That is just Daisy though.
Immi is the total opposite. She is a comfort loving and quite spoilt doodle. She refuses to lie on hard surfaces. Only her bed, thick rugs, the sofa and our bed will do :roll: Our orthopaedic mattress is certainly her favourite place!
Gav & Becks.

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 16 Mar 2015, 20:02

Poor lass! If only they could talk... something obviously happened.
I can totally understand your anger and frustration. It can be very difficult in these days of social media though, so I also understand why you need to be careful about what you say.
Have there been any other complaints made about the establishment? Would it be possible for you to find out?
I do hope something can be done... The most important thing now though is that Immi is home with you, and with your love and care she can begin to forget her bad experiences -
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

swardie

Post by swardie » 16 Mar 2015, 20:17

Hi, Gav n Becks. I was totally shocked and sick to my stomach when I saw those photos- poor Immi.

I really hope that she gets back to her normal self soon. Please let us know how she's progressing

Big Dood hugs from us. X

PS. I second Anne's comments re caution with social media. Once it's out there, it's out there!

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 16 Mar 2015, 21:34

So sorry to read this, I can't believe anyone would let a dog get in that condition.

Hope she's back to her usual bouncy doodly self soon.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Immi

Post by Immi » 18 Mar 2015, 14:23

Well we have an outcome from my complaint to the licensing authorities. It turns out the business was not licensed for animal boarding at all. The business owner has been fined (they didn't give me an exact amount, but the fine can be up to £500) and has to apply for a license at the cost of £105! We might not have had Immi's veterinary fees covered, but the business owner has been given one hell of a sting! :mrgreen: :twisted:
Gav & Becks.