Ticks

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
Sarahdol75

Ticks

Post by Sarahdol75 » 17 May 2015, 21:43

OMG, again, Harley has been getting these little horrible things.

I have pulled 5 off him this week, 2 from inbetween his toes :(

I have been told about a collar called scallibor from a friend who uses them in spain. Has anyone used one????
ImageImage

Rachelhodgkins

Re: Ticks

Post by Rachelhodgkins » 17 May 2015, 22:20

I just had to pull one out of the cats eye lid think it's the mild weather loads about at mo. We favour the lopped string removal method though you do have to pull the little buggars hard

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 17 May 2015, 22:46

If you pull them you risk them ejecting their stomach contents and all the diseases they contain into your dog. Also, parts of their mouth can be left inside and cause infection.

The easiest way to remove them is to don a plastic/latex glove and rub them lightly (but so they move) quickly clockwise with your forefinger - this makes them dizzy and they just let go and try and crawl off - this is a defence mechanism where they let go to try somewhere else if they think where they have chosen is too dangerous. It takes on average less than 60 seconds. Keep going till it works.

Then you just pick them up and dispose of them. Drowning is good.

You can buy twist off things from your vet but that can still leave bits of them inside - we have used this method and it really works - and looking at the little beastie after all of it is always present.
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

Rachelhodgkins

Post by Rachelhodgkins » 17 May 2015, 22:58

Yes we do that method of making them dizzy To get them to back out, but sometimes they in such an awkward space place e.g. cats eye lid. The cotton loop method is better than the tweezer method as it always gets the head out and you don't squeeze them which causes them to empty more siliva in.just don't rub stuff or burn it as can make it bury it's self deeper. I know that flea stuff also protects them from ticks though it's affect is always shorter and not sure how reliable

Bid

Post by Bid » 18 May 2015, 08:20

The making them dizzy approach makes them uncomfortable, which is when they regurgitate their stomach contents back into the blood stream.

I use the tick hooks which remove the whole tick instantly.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 18 May 2015, 09:41

The info about the dizzy method says that they don't do that, Bid, but I'd like to hear about the cotton method.

The twist things definitely do not work on Lola, one bit was left.
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

Rachelhodgkins

Post by Rachelhodgkins » 18 May 2015, 10:54

The cotton method I make a loop and place over the tick close to the skin and tighten it slowly around where it's mouth parts would be tighten and pull sharp and quick. I always check that I can see the head parts etc and that nothing is left.with this method i have never had that problem and we go camping alot so this is a constant problem even with flea and tick protection
.I can't seem to use the ones from the vets in always get a head less tick tick. I guess it's in the technique

linny

Post by linny » 18 May 2015, 11:11

Was listening to JV on radio 2 last week and the subject was Ticks and Lymes disease.
Apparently ticks are now a problem all year round and not just Spring and Summer they can make your dog(and humans) very ill if not dealt with appropriately .
I did see a notice at my vets the other day about NEW treatments to deal with ticks so I am going to inquire.At the moment I use Advantix but the ticks still attach to the dog before getting killed off.
My husband is being tested for Lymes as he has often been bitten and has exhibited symptoms.
What part in the eco system these horrible creatures play I just don't know.

Rachelhodgkins

Post by Rachelhodgkins » 18 May 2015, 11:30

Your poor husband. When I was working in Africa I constantly found ticks on me even when I would Cover up appropriately. Let us know what new treatment is like Would be very interested. They are horrible little things.Though my mother in law didn't know what they were :shock: even though she has owned both dogs and cats.

linny

Post by linny » 18 May 2015, 13:12

Going back in time (some 40+ years ago) we used to soak cotton wool with whisky or any other spirit and hold it over the area where the tick had attached .....the tick would get drunk and fall off :lol: ....it really works.

annvinton

Post by annvinton » 18 May 2015, 14:09

Yes ........... we also have a tick problem at the moment!!!!

Just spotted one trying to get down into Ben's shaggy coat!!!

I use the tweezers .............. but I have heard that smearing butter/vaseline or similar round their mouth end makes them let go as they can't breathe.

Ann & Ben

ImageImage

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 18 May 2015, 14:43

There are definite and loud warning about smearing with vaseline, butter or whisky, as these methods definitely make them vomit into the wound.

Sarahdol75

Post by Sarahdol75 » 18 May 2015, 18:07

Harley has had 5 this week 2 in his toes, one next to his eye, and 1 on his belly and 1 on his back by his neck. The worst one to get out was next to his eye, as harley could see I was trying to get it with the tick remover and he didnt like it, the others came out easy and he didnt notice.
ImageImage

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 18 May 2015, 18:53

Murphy had one over his eye last week. I always use a tick remover, having pulled one off with tweezers the first time he had one and I managed to leave the head in, so he had to have it cut out under a GA. that was an expensive lesson learnt!

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sarahdol75

Post by Sarahdol75 » 18 May 2015, 21:35

Just posted on another forum, to see if anyone has any comments on a scalibor collar.

I said Harley has had 5 ticks this week removed, they asked that I should check my hygeine regime.

Cheek of it, I check Harley every day but if they are tiny it is going to be bloomin hard to find them, thoroughly, as he is black and lots of shaggy fur.

I do check him daily and after most walks if we have been in woods.
ImageImage