Conjunctivitus

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
Sarahdol75

Conjunctivitus

Post by Sarahdol75 » 20 Jun 2015, 21:56

Harley has conjunctivitus.

His eyes have been green and gunky, vets gave him injection in his neck and tablets to take twice a day and eye drops, which are so difficult to get in to him.

Anyone have any good tricks to get them in, I am getting more over his face than actually in his eye. I have to put them in 3 - 4 times a day, and Harley is getting used to the bottle coming out, and I cant actually get him to stay still, he just jumps out the way every time. We have both tried holding him down, but dont want to get him to stressed.

I have tried holding treats to give him, but he just moves every single time. Tried when he is lying down and sleepy, and he suddenly jumps up.

Getting very hard. :cry:
ImageImage

linny

Re: Conjunctivitus

Post by linny » 21 Jun 2015, 12:58

The way I do it is like this.....place my back against a wall with feet apart....put the dog between my feet facing forwards. tilt the head up and back ...apply drops. ...it might work for you but sounds as if Harley knows what's coming :roll: so wishing you the best of luck :)

Sarahdol75

Post by Sarahdol75 » 21 Jun 2015, 21:59

Ha ha tried it, he just ducks under my legs backwards.
ImageImage

linny

Post by linny » 22 Jun 2015, 11:31

Sarahdol75 wrote:Ha ha tried it, he just ducks under my legs backwards.
:lol: That's why you need to put your back to a wall or straddle a corner .. A- ......Try again :lol:

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 22 Jun 2015, 15:37

I also back Murphy into a corner when I have to give him eye drops or he runs away.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Pollydoodle

Post by Pollydoodle » 25 Jun 2015, 22:44

How is it going with Harley?

I have to work on theory of convincing him it is ok as I cannot corner or pin him down - i would not want to anyway.
I find it a real dilemma as i use treats too,more so to get him used to the bottle etc being around his head (in our case he needs ear drops).

I feel like I am breaking the trust we build up as i eventually resort to tricking him and getting some drops in :?
I know he needs the drops but it also doesn't seem right to trick him either :( :roll:

Sarahdol75

Post by Sarahdol75 » 30 Jul 2015, 21:18

Sorry, didnt look back on here sooner.

Managed to get the drops in Harleys eyes, eventually. I think he got bored of me pinning him down and chasing him around the house, I eventually managed to trap him in our porch so its only a small area, and hold him up the wall, sounds terrible but after a few days doing this, he started to let me put them in any where.

Turns out its not conjunctivitus, he has an allergy to the corn and long grass, grass seed, as he is still getting gunk in his eyes, if I go in the fields with the corn and he is running through it. So I am still having to put eye drops in most days. He has got used to it now.

I try not to go through the fields too often though, as its annoying picking the bloomin grass seeds from him, his feet, everywhere.
ImageImage

Helen & Rigby

Post by Helen & Rigby » 01 Aug 2015, 09:40

I don't know if it would help, but might it be worth giving him a bit of local honey every day? I bathe Rigby's eyes with green tea whenever they look goopy, sorts him out and he likes to drink the left over!
ImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 03 Aug 2015, 08:35

Would piriton help? They can have as much as 2 tablets three times a day - depending on size obviously. That was the dose prescribed for a 25kg doodle.

I use the bottle over the head method with eye drops so they don't see it coming, but Daisy is so used to having various kind of meds that she doesn't really bother these days.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron