I hate this diseaae

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
iwantadog

I hate this diseaae

Post by iwantadog » 14 Sep 2015, 08:07

The Pexion that Murphy has been in for his epilepsy has began to stop working as well as it should, apparently this is quite common. The vet has swapped him over to Phenobarbital, so for the next couple of weeks I have to wean him off one med onto the other, so he's getting a huge dose of medicines and is currently extremely wobbly. It's so horrible to see, he's tripping over his feet, wobbling all over the place and almost falling over occasionally, he looks like he's had a really heavy night out. Apparently this is totally normal and only lasts a couple of weeks, but I hate it.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Doodle Dee

Re: I hate this diseaae

Post by Doodle Dee » 14 Sep 2015, 09:48

Poor Murphy - hoping the end justifies the means so for the next two weeks he is wobbly etc but then back to being Murphy

We do the best for our dogs, they love us, we hate to see them like this but their love and trust is always there, so our pet "okay" - it is us that suffer for them
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 14 Sep 2015, 23:43

So sorry to hear this - poor Murphy... it's heart-breaking to see them suffer when we can't explain to them what is happening, or why. We are always told that dogs 'live in the moment' and if that's true, your lad will come out of the other side of this and be able to just get on with being Murphy again. Hoping that's soon...
Sending hugs to both you and Murphy -
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

Bid

Post by Bid » 14 Sep 2015, 23:54

Poor little guy :-(

I expect it is a lot worse for you to see than it is for Murphy to go through, and the end justifies the means in this case, as it will mean fewer fits for him hopefully. Give his a hug from his big sister Daze!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 15 Sep 2015, 16:09

Thanks everyone. He was really bad this morning, to the point he fell over whilst eating his breakfast, but seems a bit better this afternoon.

Pollydoodle

Post by Pollydoodle » 15 Sep 2015, 23:56

Poor Murphy.
Wendy, am likely teaching you to suck eggs here,I read from owners of dogs on this drug they state here to please please have pre and post bile acid tests as early in therapy as poss to get base line and then chemistry panels..... Read detail at this link if you have not heard this

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-ang ... rbital.htm

Apols if old news or is the bog std approach.

Helen & Rigby

Post by Helen & Rigby » 16 Sep 2015, 14:13

I am so sorry to hear Murphy is not feeling well. It is heart breaking to see them poorly. Just like with our children we wish we could take any suffering away.

Sending a hug xx
ImageImage

taffyjack

Post by taffyjack » 16 Sep 2015, 15:41

Poor Murphy :(
It must be so hard to see him struggle with the new meds, hope it all settles down soon for him.

Sue n Olga xx
ImageImage]

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 16 Sep 2015, 20:41

Pollydoodle wrote:Poor Murphy.
Wendy, am likely teaching you to suck eggs here,I read from owners of dogs on this drug they state here to please please have pre and post bile acid tests as early in therapy as poss to get base line and then chemistry panels..... Read detail at this link if you have not heard this

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-ang ... rbital.htm

Apols if old news or is the bog std approach.

Yes, don't worry, he had to have a blood test before he started on it and have another one after a month to see how it's going, then he has blood tests every 4-6 months to check his levels. Thank goodness for insurance!

Wendy x