Runny poos

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
Emily doodle

Runny poos

Post by Emily doodle » 15 Apr 2016, 20:24

Looking for advice .....Emily has really runny poo (like gravy) with some blood streaks. We had her at vet who said it might be a parasite. Any ideas what we should do about her diet? Should we go back to just dry food? She has some fruit and veg each day and sometimes some egg or tuna. Been doing that for a few weeks and poo only been like this last five days.

Gillian and Emily

Doodle Dee

Re: Runny poos

Post by Doodle Dee » 16 Apr 2016, 03:09

Did you ask the vet their opinion on what to give her? Other than that I can only suggest chicken and rice for a bit. I only suggest that because my daughters pup had an upset tummy and the vet suggested that.

Wish Emily better
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

We5Kings

Post by We5Kings » 16 Apr 2016, 10:36

Dude was prone to runny poos as a pup and we always
gave plain rice and white fish for a day( he can't tolerate chicken, weirdly!)He was an "eat anything outside" kind of pup so we never knew what caused it. However, a change to Canagan kibble solved it for us( it's an excellent product with a great helpline team who give good tips and advice) I also give him banana with his breakfast and half a raw carrot at lunch time, both are good for tums. Anny

Coco and Annie

Post by Coco and Annie » 17 Apr 2016, 09:17

Hi Gillian

Just read your post. Sorry if I'm being thick, but I am inferring from your post that you ONLY give fruit and veg with a bit of tuna and egg thrown in at times?

Is Emily any better now?

X

Emily doodle

Post by Emily doodle » 18 Apr 2016, 22:25

Poos are still runny...She does a lot f eating outside. It's tricky because I don't want to harass her constantly about it. I'm not sure if it's just that causing it although poo has previously been fine.

About the fruit and veg yeah she has tuna about once/twice (less than quarter of can) a small amount of fruit eg a couple of strawberries or a small carrot once each day. Other than that she has her normal dry Eden kibble

Gillian and emily

Coco and Annie

Post by Coco and Annie » 18 Apr 2016, 22:46

Phew! Sorry - I thought Emily was on vegetables only - a vegetarian dog!

We feed Eden kibble too. Our dogs are thriving on it!

You can ask Eden for advice on their Facebook page.

Hope she's back to normal soon.

X

Bid

Post by Bid » 19 Apr 2016, 08:00

If the vet thought it was a parasite did he suggest anything to get rid of it? Worming tablets or something? Daisy had persistent problems at one point as a pup and we took a poo sample to the vets and they detected giardia parasites which needed repeat dosing of Panacur.

Although vets always say chicken and rice when their tums are upset, a lot of dogs can't tolerate chicken or rice, so if it still hasn't cleared up I would switch to white fish and mashed potato for a couple of days to see if that helps. I keep a tube of pro-kolin in my cupboard - that is kaolin paste with some probiotics in to help get their digestion back on track - your vets will have some - it may be a different brand such as canicur, so if it hasn't cleared up in a day or two I would go back and see if they will look at a poo sample to get to the bottom of it(!) and give something to help. You don't want her getting dehydrated so don't leave it too long.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Pollydoodle

Post by Pollydoodle » 22 Apr 2016, 23:10

Hope Emily is ok now.
I would not feed tuna at this stage and certainly not tuna in brine,too salty.
Hopefully vets have sorted her out now.

Debby

Post by Debby » 24 Apr 2016, 23:23

Hi
With Willow who is now nearly 9 months she also went through phases of having runny poo those first few months
I gave her mashed pumpkin and some bland cooked chicken for a few days which seemed to help
She mainly has Orijen dry food but it I give her wet food once a day
Fortunately she did grow out of it and only occasionally now had stomach upset usually as a result of eating something while out on her walk she shouldn't have!!